OT: is it weird I miss the bad weather of the south?

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I certainly never liked the idea of my family or people that I know in danger, but I miss thunderstorms that shook the house. By the way, people up here (western New York) can handle the snow, but they are so afraid of the sound of thunder (which doesn't happen much).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yes, it is weird. **

Apropos of that topic, I saw Billy Strings perform at Lakefront a few days ago.

A week or so before the shows, someone in one of the forums I read posted about the extended forecast of thunderstorms and how he liked that (he wasn't a Southerner). I immediately said that it could be a bad thing-- possible tornadoes, for example.

What happened was that it was really foggy after the NYE show & it took me about 15 - 20 minutes longer to drive to Hattiesburg afterwards. And there was at least one accident on the Pontchartrain bridge I saw posted on that forum and friends had issues getting home...

Reactions: preacher_dawg

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Work a few months cutting trees off houses after an F-4 and your perspective may change.

We had a rare supercell move fast from east-to-west on us one afternoon and put an 85 year old oak through the roof. I think the root system wasn’t ready for 60 mph winds from 180 degrees opposite the usual direction.

Storms used to not bother me, now they keep me up at night. Even an isolated supercell can ruin someones day for months.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I certainly never liked the idea of my family or people that I know in danger, but I miss thunderstorms that shook the house. By the way, people up here (western New York) can handle the snow, but they are so afraid of the sound of thunder (which doesn't happen much).
I feel like I know several people that like thunderstorms. Not like look forward to or anything, but at least enjoy watching the sheets of rain if they are having to deal with it.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I feel like I know several people that like thunderstorms. Not like look forward to or anything, but at least enjoy watching the sheets of rain if they are having to deal with it.
Yeah, I'm like that. "Bad weather" was probably a poor choice of words. It's more about missing the thunderstorms. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic today.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yeah. Screw that. After living in Texas for nearly 15 years I had the following issues due to storms and weather

2007 - "Rain Bomb" dropped 20" of rain 10 miles up the San Gabriel river from my apartment and that damn creek of a river swelled up to the size of the Mississippi and trapped my in my apt while I thought it was going to wash away as the entire first floor was in the current. Flooded and totaled my vehicle too.

2010 - Lost power for 5 days after 12" of snow fell in Dallas. Couldn't go anywhere.

2011 - Got stuck in PA for damn near a week after the ice storm hit Super Bowl week when the Steelers were in at Jerry World.

2013- Lost power for 9 days when an ice storm hit Dallas. Wife was 38 weeks pregnant. Power went out in the middle of the night and we woke up to 50 degree temps in the house. Had to head to the La Quinta as the only place in town with availability and the stress caused her water to break. Ended up having c-section, spent 5 days in the hospital, still no power and cold as balls when we got out. Takin your newborn to the La Quinta sucks balls.

2015-Tornado just missed us and took out the power for a few days and we had to huddle in the living room with a portable AC to keep from melting.

2019-Horrible hailstorm wiped out my house, cars, and new pool that was still under construction. 33 minutes of golf ball sized hail. I have PSD from that crap. It was coming through the skylights at us.

Yeah, we get snow. Light and fluffy stuff that's fun to play in and easy to move. 7'+ so far this winter, but I haven't lost power, water, internet or had a cancelled day of school (Not covid related anyway) since moving here in 2020. I don't miss that crap at all.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Was married 20 years to a Peruvian who freaked on our Naders and T-Storms and she laughed her A$$ off when I came home freaked out over a tremer here in FT Worth that shook the building I was working in for a second.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I’ve loved stormy weather since I was a little kid. Not to the point I want to go chasing tornadoes or anything, but I just enjoy thunderstorms in general. Had a couple of close calls with tornadoes coming near my home but never suffered any major damage. I lived in Laurel when Katrina came thru and was in awe that entire day. Of course I was renting at the time so wasn’t worried about my house being damaged.

Guess I should’ve been a meteorologist but when I was younger I just assumed you had to be a tv weatherman if you went into meteorology

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I’ve loved stormy weather since I was a little kid. Not to the point I want to go chasing tornadoes or anything, but I just enjoy thunderstorms in general. Had a couple of close calls with tornadoes coming near my home but never suffered any major damage. I lived in Laurel when Katrina came thru and was in awe that entire day. Of course I was renting at the time so wasn’t worried about my house being damaged.

Guess I should’ve been a meteorologist but when I was younger I just assumed you had to be a tv weatherman if you went into meteorology
I love weather and storms. Studying them is a hobby of mine. My son inherited it and he will be majoring in meteorology at state beginning next year.

That said, when your house takes a direct hit from a tornado and you're left with six figure insurance claims that don't cover the total value of all the damage, it changes your perspective a tad.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login