OT - Islay Scotch

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
While researching Scotch Whisky I watched some videos on the island of Islay. There are 9 Distillers on the island and I guess it is a big tourist destination for Scotch drinkers. One of the big reasons people like the Scotch from this island is the smokey character derived from peat and ascribed to the water used to make the whisky. Several of the reviews rated Ardbeg 10 very high with some saying it was the best representative for Islay Scotch. This review convinced me to go buy a bottle and try it out: Whiskey Vault

I love really hot salsa and if you watch the video at about the 7:55 mark they equate this scotch with hot salsa. Earlier they stated that this scotch punishes you but you can't help going back again. I was intrigued! I found it at one of the local liquor stores yesterday and tried a couple of drinks when I got home and wow! They were spot on. When you take a sip it burns worse than any Whisk(e)y I've ever tasted. As the burn subsides you get this glorious flavor. What really amazed me was the smell of the glass when I left it on my side table. After about 10 minutes you could clearly smell the smoked peat from about 10 inches away. After about 30 minutes my wife was complaining about it (she was about 3 feet away from the glass). She said, "Uhh, that stinks!" but I was blown away with how strong the smoked peat aroma had become. It just demonstrated the process they used to make this Scotch. I highly recommend it!

SkidKid

May 20, 2014
I was recently staying in a pretty fancy hotel that had a bunch of Scotches. I've always been a bourbon drinker but I was with a buddy that typically only does Scotch. We went through a bunch of glasses and one was Ardbeg 10. Yes, it was the most smokey/peaty glass I tried.

As a side note, I never really noticed just how sweet bourbon was until I had a glass after all of the Scotches. It really surprised me how much our taste buds go blind after a while. Switching it up was pretty cool.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'm a fan of Islay and the peat bombs

Ardbeg. Laphroaig. Lagavulin.

Wife HATES when I have them. She calls them "bandaid scotches" bc of the aroma.

I love them but they aren't for everyone. Definitely not an intro scotch.

Botch

Dec 1, 2021
The Ardberg 10 is a good start. Try the Ardberg Cory Vrecken when you want to treat yourself. I agree with ck on the other 2 recommendations.

if you’re just getting into Scotch maybe try a Speyside first like Abelour 12 year or a Macallan.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Have not done Ardberg but will give it a shot. My favorite is probably Bruichladdich but I like a lot of Glennmorangie - it truly is hit or miss though. Have enjoyed the 14, 15, and 18. Nectar D’or wasn’t that good. 12 was really good a couple years ago but not as much last year. There’s a place downtown that has octomore for $40 a glass. Going to have to try it for a special occasion

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm not a peat guy myself, just can't get over the medicinal taste. Someone once said to me it tastes like you ashed a cigar and poured a bottle of Robitussin in a single malt. That's pretty much what I get...

That said, if you are entering into Islay world, I recommend a subscription to Whisky Advocate. There's lots of stuff you can read and follow (I watch Whisky Vault on YouTube all the time... But Whisky Advocate is way more informative and will pay for itself by informing you about what to get on your first bottle when talking about expensive scotch. It's a 150 page magazine once a quarter for $22 a year. Every issue gives new ratings on all kinds of whisky and breaks it down by category (Speyside, Islay, Highlands, Lowland, Island, and Blended Scotches, plus Bourbon, Rye, American Single Malt, Irish Single Malt, Pot Still, Japanese, and more.) You get at least a hundred reviews in each magazine that are all 89 and above.

This issue happened to be the Whisky of the Year issue where they rank the top 20 Whisky's of the year. Number 1 this year is the Offerman Edition 11 year Lagavulin Guinness Cask Finish. Rating of 95 and $80 for a bottle. The only other Islay in the top 20 is the Port Charlotte PAC:01 2011.

While I don't care for peat, I do love smoky whiskey. A lot of American distilleries are making there own smokey single malt. If you like smoke, but not peat, the American smoke is tits. In fact, Andalusia Stryker out of Texas is a single malt smoked like brisket in oak and mesquite. It came in number 20 in Whisky of the Year this year. I also like Colkegan out of New Mexico and Balcones Brimstone which are both mesquite smoked. Everytime I cook BBQ I throw a little cast iron sauce pan on the grill with 4 parts Stubb's and 1 pat Balcones Brimstone... Game changer.

Back to Islay

From the last 5 Whisky of the Year's here are the Islay's distilleries that made the top 20 at least twice and could be good distilleries to focus on.

Ardberg An Oa
Ardberg Wee Beastie
Bruichladdich Islay Barley
Bruichladdich Bere Barley
Lagavulin 12 year old Diageo Special Release
Lagavulin 11 Year Old Offerman Edition Guinness Cask Finished
Laphroaig 10 year old cask strength
Laphroaig Cardeias Cask Strength Triple Wood
Port Charlotte 10 Year old
Port Charlotte PAC:01 2011

View attachment 23367
View attachment 23368

Last edited:

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Haven't had bere barley, but islay barley is my favorite. Port Charlotte is also from Bruichladdich and it's really good too. Classic Laddie is OK, but if that's all people are seeing at the liquor store, I'd recommend asking about islay barley or port charlotte

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
The Ardberg 10 is a good start. Try the Ardberg Cory Vrecken when you want to treat yourself. I agree with ck on the other 2 recommendations.

if you’re just getting into Scotch maybe try a Speyside first like Abelour 12 year or a Macallan.

Been drinking Scotch for 35 years. Just never tried the Islay Scotches. Macallan, Glenfiddich, and Balvinie have been my go to Scotches. I'm really excited about trying more of the Islay Scotches. Lagavulin will probably be my next purchase. It was ranked #1 by a wide margin by Islay Scotch drinkers. Ardbeg 10 was #2.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
At the very least, when you mention whisk(e)y you can depend on a 17 paragraph lesson from Joe Lee.

Islay stuff is rough on a yougun'. You need to be a serious alchie like myself to wade through the layers of blood soaked gauze for a taste of the marketing genius that is I luuh Scotch Whiskey.

Try it, retch it...

Then buy a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 and appreciate excellence.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
When you get to enjoying Islay whiskys, you know you’ve matured as a Scotch drinker. It turned me away at first a long time ago, but now I can’t get enough peat.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I love Islay Scotch. Just to be clear, it's pronounced ILOU over there. I started out loving the peat bombs you guys have mentioned. I have evolved into the more subtle ones (for Islay), Caol Isla and Bunnahabhain are my favorites now. We were supposed to land on Islay on a small boat cruise several years ago, but terrible weather prohibited that. I wanted to go to Finlaggan in the worst way. I'm descended in one line from the Lords of the Isles. I did get to see one of their headstones on Iona on another cruise. Back to the Scotch. A lot of Island and Highland malts have a more subtle touch of smoke that is along my more recent lines. Highland Park for one. Talisker too. My Christmas this year will be a Highland Park 18, a Jura, and a Tobermorry. I have done the distillery tour at Tobermorry. We intended to at Jura but we landed on a Sunday. The Isle of Jura is Free Church so it wasn't open on Sunday. We tried to at Highland Park in Kirkwall, Orkney, but we just showed up like we did at the others. Disappointed rookie tip: Advance booking is REQUIRED for that one.

Last edited:

SkidKid

May 20, 2014
I'm sure most people wont even give them a thought, but Japanese whiskeys are pretty dang good too. I'm currently in Japan and have been very impressed with their whiskeys.

They also like their bourbons. I bought a bottle of Blanton's here for $45. The shelves are well stocked.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I love Islay Scotch. Just to be clear, it's pronounced ILOU over there. I started out loving the peat bombs you guys have mentioned. I have evolved into the more subtle ones (for Islay), Coal Isla and Bunnahabhain are my favorites now. We were supposed to land on Islay on a small boat cruise several years ago, but terrible weather prohibited that. I wanted to go to Finlaggan in the worst way. I'm descended in one line from the Lords of the Isles. I did get to see one of their headstones on Iona on another cruise. Back to the Scotch. A lot of Island and Highland malts have a more subtle touch of smoke that is along my more recent lines. Highland Park for one. Talisker too. My Christmas this year will be a Highland Park 18, a Jura, and a Tobermorry. I have done the distillery tour at Tobermorry. We intended to at Jura but we landed on a Sunday. The Isle of Jura is Free Church so it wasn't open on Sunday. We tried to at Highland Park in Kirkwall, Orkney, but we just showed up like we did at the others. Disappointed rookie tip: Advance booking is REQUIRED for that one.
Read good things about Jura. Bunnahabhain is on my list if I can find it in North MS.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Sorry, fat fingered a down vote. Lagavulin will be my next purchase if I can find it in North MS.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Coal Isla is great! Happy to see someone else knows about it.
And from another post, aberlour 12 is my favorite non peat. Much better than macallan, they went downhill for some reason.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Funny story...In the early 90's after FedEx bought Flying Tigers, we picked up an "over the pole" flight to Prestwick, Scotland. Our hotel was on the grounds of the Royal Troon golf course and the barman had written a book on Single Malt Whiskys. He chastised us severely if we ever referred to his whisky as "scotch"...

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
Don’t neglect trying Talisker from the Isle of Skye. Good stuff and a nice way to ease into the peated whisk(e)y world.

Ardbeg. Laphroaig. Lagavulin.

Wife HATES when I have them. She calls them "bandaid scotches" bc of the aroma.

I love them but they aren't for everyone. Definitely not an intro scotch.

DirtyDog

Aug 24, 2012
Not from that island, but you might seek out some Benromach Single Malt. It is a small distillery in Scotland that specializes in a smokey peat whisky.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I'm sure most people wont even give them a thought, but Japanese whiskeys are pretty dang good too. I'm currently in Japan and have been very impressed with their whiskeys.

They also like their bourbons. I bought a bottle of Blanton's here for $45. The shelves are well stocked.

My father in law is a big fan of a Japanese Single Malt, the name escapes me. It's pretty dog gone good.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Read good things about Jura. Bunnahabhain is on my list if I can find it in North MS.

Bunnahabhain 12 is one of my-go to's right now. They say it's "unpeated" but it does have 3 ppm, which add a very nice earthy touch to balance out the sherry sweetness. Hard to beat for $60-65. One of my Christmas present to myself was Bunna 18yr, which is just fantastic.

In regards to Ardbeg 10, that was the whiskey that opened my eyes to what whiskey could be. Not that it was my favorite right away or is, but it was the most interesting thing I'd had. I highly recommend the Ardbeg Uigeadail to anyone that likes the 10 or Islay at all.

I've got a Bruichladdich Octomore on the way as my other Christmas present and can't wait to get into that. Shocked I found one. Peat to a new level.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Never been down the Japanese whisky road myself, but I guess that's about to change. Mrs Socks got me a gift certificate for a flight from a local place.

Hakashu 12 yr
Hibiki Harmony
Nikka ‘ Taketsuru Pure Malt
Yamaziki 12 yr

I'll let you know what I think once I get it...

View attachment 23380

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I love Islay Scotch. Just to be clear, it's pronounced ILOU over there. I started out loving the peat bombs you guys have mentioned. I have evolved into the more subtle ones (for Islay), Caol Isla and Bunnahabhain are my favorites now. We were supposed to land on Islay on a small boat cruise several years ago, but terrible weather prohibited that. I wanted to go to Finlaggan in the worst way. I'm descended in one line from the Lords of the Isles. I did get to see one of their headstones on Iona on another cruise. Back to the Scotch. A lot of Island and Highland malts have a more subtle touch of smoke that is along my more recent lines. Highland Park for one. Talisker too. My Christmas this year will be a Highland Park 18, a Jura, and a Tobermorry. I have done the distillery tour at Tobermorry. We intended to at Jura but we landed on a Sunday. The Isle of Jura is Free Church so it wasn't open on Sunday. We tried to at Highland Park in Kirkwall, Orkney, but we just showed up like we did at the others. Disappointed rookie tip: Advance booking is REQUIRED for that one.
Post Christmas report: I have opened and tried all three of my Christmas whiskies as of tonight. Tobermory 15 year Special Edition: VERY good, although not my usual stuff. It's not smoked much at all, just tiny hint if any. VERY smooth, to me honey was the predominate taste. The best of the three IMHO. Jura Seven Wood: again very good. Some smoke and a rich, complex overall flavor. A good example of a non-Islay island malt. Highland Park 18: A better much, much better version of the cheaper Highland Park malts I have had in the past. This is the most Islay like of the three despite it being the one the most distant from Islay. More than a bit of smoke but not overpowering. Smoother than most of the smoky malts. If you are looking for an intro to the smoky malts without jumping straight into the fire, Highland Park is a great place to start, even the cheaper ones. This was the most expensive of the three. I have got money to buy my own in advance the last two years. Last year I almost struck out, maybe two walks and a single. Three homers this year!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login