OT: It's been a while since I've done NOLA

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Staying in the Garden District, taking my boy for his 21st. Any recs? And before you say, we're going to the WWII museum.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Hustler Club and Collettes. Hustler Club is in the FQ so easy to find. Ask your Uber driver about Collettes, he take you there. There's a process to get in, so pay attention to the instructions and tip him well.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Katie’s is another very good restaurant. It is in mid-city but worth the short drive. I’d suggest ordering one of their specials.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Po-boys
Domilises
Mahoneys on Magazine St
Mike Serios on St Charles
Parkway Bakery and Tavern 👍

lunch
Cassamentos - raw oysters
Liuazas by the track - N Lopez St
Port of Call - burgers
Felix’s Oyster Bar
Chef Ron’s Gumbo - in Metairie
Willie Maes scotch house - fried chicken

Dinner
Pascals Manale - best bbq shrimp
Peche - on Magazine St
Superior Seafood and Oyster Bar
Mr B’s
Mandinas
Clesi’s in Mid City for crawfish
Irene’s

Afternoon raw oysters
Felix’s
Drago’s
Royal Oyster House

Rooftop bars and pre-dinnerdrink
spots
Hot Tin on St Charles
Mambos on Bourbon
Sazarac Bar in Roosevelt Hotel
Carousel Bar

You hit half of these and you’ve had a great weekend in NOLA

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Wrong on the greenway
Winston's pub
Mid city yacht club
Urban south brewery
Frankie and Johnnys
Blue oak bbq
Central city bbq
Port Orleans
Rum house
Mr Ed's oyster
I still think acme in Metairie is one of the best oysters
Rendezvous Tavern
Cooter browns

2nd all of dawgsandsaints suggestions

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
It has been a while since I have been to NOLA but you cannot go wrong with dinner at GW Fins & drinks at the roundtable bar at the Monteleone.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Hustler Club and Collettes. Hustler Club is in the FQ so easy to find. Ask your Uber driver about Collettes, he take you there. There's a process to get in, so pay attention to the instructions and tip him well.
This current generation of 21 y/os would rather go to Dave and Buster’s off Poydras.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
What;s the deal with Colette's?

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Hey. You keep D&B out yo 17’ing mouth. It is a Godsend on soccer weekends where the Dads want to drink, but have to reasonably keep an eye out on the kids. But to your point in New Orleans, nah.
Don’t teach your youngsters that D&B is acceptable food. This is what is wrong with this country. We are telling kids that s h i t chicken fingers are good food and instead teaching them about the finer things in life. That’s how we end up with Rick Ray and a bunch of olds running for president. We teach them to accept less than.**

Obviously Im joking but seriously I hate D&B

Last edited:
Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
A must is Jacques IMO’s and Pascal's Manale. My favorite poboy shop in that area is Guy's Poyboys.

To find out what your son is made of take him to Snake and Jake's or for a chill spot my old watering hole Cooter Brown's.

Reactions: jlove20

jlove20

Sep 18, 2017
(Lakeview) A place I like to hit up is The Backyard. Wings, burgers & a frozen Old Fashion. The place is a godsend with a 2yr old kid. The frozen old fashion is worth the stop…

(Bywater) Bratz Y’all. Hipster/alternative staff meets German beer garden… chill vibe. Pretzel and beer and sausages. Sketchy neighborhood, but worth it.

If one must go into the French Quarter (and I don’t go often…) - then I would probably recommend GW Fins for the food and Antoine’s for the history.

….but a drive-through daiquiri experience is probably something a 21yr old would want to do… choose wisely.

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
It has been a while but Upperline was fantastic.
It has unfortunately closed. Best dish I ever had a restaurant was from there. Was a really unique and cool place.

Anyway....

Nice Dinners:
Commanders Palace
Brigstens
GW Finns

Lunch:
Turkey and the Wolf
Cochon Butcher
Pizza Domenica (get the garlic knots with the provolone fondutta)

Brunch:
Katies

Hit Frenchman St. one night. The Maison has a cocktail class that'll get you feeling good to go and catch some live music.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Staying in the Garden District, taking my boy for his 21st. Any recs? And before you say, we're going to the WWII museum.
I'm guessing a burger isn't really what y'all want while in NOLA. If it is, then DON'T waste your time or money on Port of Call. Dirty restaurant with a fly problem.

My roast beef poboy rec is Bear's at Gennaro's. If you go, get the onion rings.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's been five years since our last visit, but the best bet is polling the locals. Talk to folks who work and live there if you get a chance; they can steer you to better places. That's how we found the best spot during our last trip. It was a hole-in-the-wall place.

There's no place we visited that was bad.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
It has unfortunately closed. Best dish I ever had a restaurant was from there. Was a really unique and cool place.

Anyway....

Nice Dinners:
Commanders Palace
Brigstens
GW Finns

Lunch:
Turkey and the Wolf
Cochon Butcher
Pizza Domenica (get the garlic knots with the provolone fondutta)

Brunch:
Katies

Hit Frenchman St. one night. The Maison has a cocktail class that'll get you feeling good to go and catch some live music.
The fried balogna sandwich at Turkey and the Wolf is very good. I usually know what to expect at most restaurants I visit; that was a pleasant surprise.

GulfDawg

May 15, 2021
Here is my ideal night in the Garden Dist.
Pre-Dinner drinks at sunset at Hot Tin rooftop bar on St Charles
Dinner at Superior Seafood on corner of St. Charles and Napoleon
Post dinner cocktail on the porch at The Columns on St. Charles
Late night live music at Les Bon Temps Roule on Magazine

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
It has been a while but Upperline was fantastic.
I was going to say the same thing. I use to have a apartment uptown. Use eat at the Upperline reg. Have not been in awhile. Cant remember the owners name but last time I was in N.O. I saw on a local cooking show on tv. I understand that her son is now running the show.

oh well should have looked it up. CLOSED!

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Peche is probably the best meal I’ve ever had. Get the tuna crudo.

Shaya for outstanding Israeli food.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Well, this trip has been a bust for me... I was feeling puny last night and fought through it at Superior Oyster (great rec BTW), but last night the bear crawled up on my back and I'm down for the count. Sent my wife and boy off to the Quarter without me. I'm in one of the greatest culinary cities in the world and I'm eating Campbells soup.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login