OT: Jackson Area Bathroom Remodel

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Anyone have a great experience that didn't break the bank? I'm either doing it myself or hiring it out. Depends on cost. I got one quote that made me consider changing professions...

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
Sid Springer in Madison.
Used him for both bathrooms and year before last we totally gutted and renovated the kitchen.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
Anyone have a great experience that didn't break the bank? I'm either doing it myself or hiring it out. Depends on cost. I got one quote that made me consider changing professions...
I was recently un-pleasantly surprised by something similar. The previous owner of my house (that I bought 8 years ago) had done a lot of tile work in the master bathroom, including a walk in shower. I started noticing that some of the grout looked like it was gradually eroding, then noticed some water leaking out along the bottom. Long story short, I had to have the entire walk in shower ripped out/rebuilt/re-tiled, which meant I also had to replace the tile on the wall around the bathtub that was right next to the shower (so the tile would all match). First estimate was $15k, which I thought was high, but the others weren't much better. Wound up paying around $13k.

If I'd gone a little further and done it as more of a light remodel (new tile on the floor, new countertop, etc.) it would have gotten to $20k in no time. And I think granite is really high right now, if you're using it for countertops.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I was recently un-pleasantly surprised by something similar. The previous owner of my house (that I bought 8 years ago) had done a lot of tile work in the master bathroom, including a walk in shower. I started noticing that some of the grout looked like it was gradually eroding, then noticed some water leaking out along the bottom. Long story short, I had to have the entire walk in shower ripped out/rebuilt/re-tiled, which meant I also had to replace the tile on the wall around the bathtub that was right next to the shower (so the tile would all match). First estimate was $15k, which I thought was high, but the others weren't much better. Wound up paying around $13k.

If I'd gone a little further and done it as more of a light remodel (new tile on the floor, new countertop, etc.) it would have gotten to $20k in no time. And I think granite is really high right now, if you're using it for countertops.
my first quote was $40k for the MBR and $20k for the smaller bath. I could do the smaller bath for <$5k in material, if I went with crazy expensive tile and fixtures.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

I live in Northern Virginia (about 30 miles west of DC), so I'm nowhere near Jackson. However, I did just remodel the Master BA in a rental property (a 3 BR, 3.5 BA townhouse) that I own.

We took out the old standard tub-shower and put in a new walk-in shower. BathFitters did that part of the remodel job, and it cost $9874.

We also: 1) replaced the 2-sink vanity countertop, backsplash and side-splash; 2) put in two new mirrors; 3) put in vinyl plank flooring; and 4) painted the vanity cabinets, walls, ceiling and trim.

The overall remodel job is still ongoing, so I'm not exactly sure of the various costs for the Master BA job.

I would guesstimate the total cost for the Master BA to be between $12-13k.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Yes to the larger tile pieces. Think about cleaning times- your wife will thank you. Toilets with less grooves. Darker grout is easier than white.

Which bathroom? I’m guessing this is a master, but if for some reason it’s for a guest and you have little boys, consider all tile, no baseboards. Baseboards with less grooves period.

Spent around $13k in 2017 for a pretty big renovation. Chose nicer hardware, had a big mirror framed, converted a jacuzzi to a large walk in with installed glass door/wall and a tiny shower to a custom linen closet, new tile, painted everything. Had to close in part of a window. Had to fix some drywall from mildew/mold from a previous leak.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Two pieces of advice on your remodel.

1. Schluter is your friend. Worth every penny.
2. Large format tile is the way to go. Way less grout to try to clean.
Also, if you can go curbless on the shower, it’s worth it. If you have the room to go curbless with no door to keep clean, even better.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
I am not a fan of bathfitters in Ridgeland. i Will not go into details here for no particular reasons

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login