OT: Keeping Deer off of Yard Plants

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Mainly Hostas. Is there anything that truly works? I have some of that rotten egg spray, and while it might work, it requires application like every day. I know some people in the neighborhood have mesh netting over plants, but not a huge fan of that. Others have these havahart repellant stations. I see mixed reviews on those.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Mainly Hostas. Is there anything that truly works? I have some of that rotten egg spray, and while it might work, it requires application like every day. I know some people in the neighborhood have mesh netting over plants, but not a huge fan of that. Others have these havahart repellant stations. I see mixed reviews on those.
Shoot a couple of them. They will figure it out pretty quickly

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Shoot a couple of them. They will figure it out pretty quickly
Yeah, was waiting for that response. I doubt the 500+ other homes in the neighborhood would appreciate that.
But! When the SHTF, this household won’t be starving for protein.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Yeah, was waiting for that response. I doubt the 500+ other homes in the neighborhood would appreciate that.
But! When the SHTF, this household won’t be starving for protein.
Haha yeah they probably wouldn’t. If those deer are like the ones in my neighborhood, they are practically domesticated. I’ve heard of being hanging bars of soap up on the perimeter of a garden. No clue if it actually works or not.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Nosler Accubonds solves the problem immediately. Don’t worry about the neighbors. They can shoot their own deer.

Reactions: DerHntr

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
What’s the point of the plants if you cover them? I’ve never understood that.
Ask your barber for some hair. Spread it around under the plants where you can’t see it. They also sell deer away at Lowe’s. Not sure if it works but my mother in law said it keeps the elk out of her flower beds. Lol

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
What would happen if you put deer feed out? Wouldn't they rather have that than your plants?

elvis76

Oct 15, 2022
Constant issue for us. If they get hungry they will eat anything. There is somewhere a list of "deer resistant"
plants, unfortunately nobody gave the list to the deer. Liquid Fence is the highest rated concentrate that you
mix and spray. Seemed to be working for awhile then I got a little lax in application. Start with once a week for 2 weeks then go every 2 weeks for next 2 months and see how that works. Another option is to search on-line for using Dawn Dish soap with water. I do not remember the mix but it is very specific as too high a concentrate will harm the plants. I hope this helps. I have no neighbor issues so looking at salt load or bird shot for my 20 gauge. Would rather not have to kill them, just deter them. See 6-8 at a time, most days and no, we do not use corn to attract them.
Good luck.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
If you can’t shoot the deer, there’s no permanent answer other than using plants deer won’t eat. We used a little solar powered flashing light thing. Friends swore by it. It worked great for about 4 weeks.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Human Pee or hanging tin pie plate.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Wife ended up moving her Hostas to our fenced back yard and planting lots of ferns and other substitutes out front.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
There is only one solution and that is to kill them. Deer living near humans aren’t scared off by human hair or piss. The only long term solution is to kill them.

Also, I love the 6.5 Creedmoor jokes. Always let’s you know what guys in the room can’t shoot without ever having to take them to the range.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
yeah bro, like I said, I live in a large neighborhood, in a large city. besides, it isn’t like one rogue deer doing damage… we have a herd. Non-lethal options only. Besides, we like watching the deer. Kinda cool seeing the fawns grow up, act like fools jumping around like Bambi etc. I’ll try some of the useable options suggested here.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Obviously due to your neighbors you can’t kill them. If firearm discharge is allowed I’d suggest a rice load out of a 410 or 20 gauge. Just cut the end of the shell, take out the lead and fill with rice. Shoot them in the hindquarters and they’ll get the message real fast.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Always had deer problems in my garden. Used the powder and spray concentrates. Worked early on, but mid-season had little effect. Call me a crazy rednecksumbitch if you must, but this past year I peed in gallon jugs and reapplied around the perimeter after every rain. Not a deer track all season.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
yeah bro, like I said, I live in a large neighborhood, in a large city. besides, it isn’t like one rogue deer doing damage… we have a herd. Non-lethal options only. Besides, we like watching the deer. Kinda cool seeing the fawns grow up, act like fools jumping around like Bambi etc. I’ll try some of the useable options suggested here.
Suppressed 30-06.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
How about Hunter Orange? When I used to hunt it always amazed me when I went squirrel hunting in full camo I would always see deer. When deer season was open I put on the Hunter Orange and no deer, but all the squirrels would just sit in the tree right next to you chirping away and bouncing that tail. It's like they know which weapon you brought that day.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
How about Hunter Orange? When I used to hunt it always amazed me when I went squirrel hunting in full camo I would always see deer. When deer season was open I put on the Hunter Orange and no deer, but all the squirrels would just sit in the tree right next to you chirping away and bouncing that tail. It's like they know which weapon you brought that day.
Deer don’t see the color orange, so what you witnessed was a coincidence.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
No personal experience with this but I've heard that you can moisten the plants or while the dew is still on them, sprinkle red pepper on the leaves. The moisture will help it stick and they won't eat it but once.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Human Pee or hanging tin pie plate.
I used the tin pie plates to keep the deer off of some tree seedlings that I was growing in 5 gallon buckets. Tie 2 pie plates close enough together so that they bump together when the wind blows or if a deer bumped the string. It worked really well. Just looks a little red neck if you happen to live in a nice neighborhood. My solution for that is that I just really don’t care.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Deer don’t see the color orange, so what you witnessed was a coincidence.
Thanks.

You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have nuisance deer as well. My dog keeps them away for a week or two after they see him.

Half the tourists feed the town herd so they are very unafraid of humans. But if my dog comes outside they seem to think he’s a 17ing alpha male direwolf and they leave smoke trails hauling *** outta here… in reality he’s a 14 year lab that can’t see or here anything anymore and he’s just trying to get off the porch before he tinkles.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
Here comes the butthurt! Never seen a more sensitive group than cripplemore shooters!
I’m not butt hurt, I’ve just got more experience than you. I’ve got everything from a 5.56 to a 300 Win Mag in the safe and every one of them has given me one shot kills on deer. It’s not the cartridge’s fault that you can’t shoot. It takes an awfully small mind or a lot of inexperience to claim that a 140 grain bullet at 2700 fps is not enough to kill a 100-200 lb animal. The Creedmoor hater crowd is at least as vocal and a lot less informed than Creedmoor fanboy crowd. I don’t have a favorite cartridge. I like variety.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’m not butt hurt, I’ve just got more experience than you. I’ve got everything from a 5.56 to a 300 Win Mag in the safe and every one of them has given me one shot kills on deer. It’s not the cartridge’s fault that you can’t shoot. It takes an awfully small mind or a lot of inexperience to claim that a 140 grain bullet at 2700 fps is not enough to kill a 100-200 lb animal. The Creedmoor hater crowd is at least as vocal and a lot less informed than Creedmoor fanboy crowd. I don’t have a favorite cartridge. I like variety.
No one cares what you've shot or how much "experience" you have or how good you think you can shoot. Dudes give each other crap, that's what we do. Everything you've listed, I've shot, big whoop.

Animation 2D GIF by Carlos Santonja

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Years ago the Jackson Zoo sold 'Zoo Do' which was the crap from the zoo animals. It would keep deer away. Don't know if they do this anymore. If you can find it from your local zoo then the scat of large predatory felines (Lions, Tigers, Panthers, etc) will keep deer at bay.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Years ago the Jackson Zoo sold 'Zoo Do' which was the crap from the zoo animals. It would keep deer away. Don't know if they do this anymore. If you can find it from your local zoo then the scat of large predatory felines (Lions, Tigers, Panthers, etc) will keep deer at bay.

Use a bow. No noise.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
In expensive and expansive neighborhoods everywhere they are employing teams of hunters (gun, bow, and crossbow) to trying control the deer and save their high dollar landscaping plants, accompanying green areas, and more importantly, vehicle safety.

There are bunch of studies and papers you can use for reference.

(Click articles and PDFs for reference)

Connecticut

New York

Virginia

Texas

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login