OT: Large tile for shower floor

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
Anybody use larger tile in shower floor in newer bathrooms? Like 12x24”. About to completely gut two bathrooms. Apparently that is a newer trend. Most of what I have read is smaller the better but a lot of that is old forums and posts. Some newer stuff suggest it can be done. Anybody have any experience?

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Easier to do with a Schluter linear drain at one end of the shower. Allows a single plane slope, like a ramp. To try to contour circular slope on a center drain with large format tiles is very difficult.

Reactions: RocketDawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Anybody use larger tile in shower floor in newer bathrooms? Like 12x24”. About to completely gut two bathrooms. Apparently that is a newer trend. Most of what I have read is smaller the better but a lot of that is old forums and posts. Some newer stuff suggest it can be done. Anybody have any experience?
Bigger tiles are heavy and hard to work with

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I just got one of my showers redone. I went with a custom fiberglass pan. I'm not a fan of grout on the floor (I just replaced a tiled floor). They look nice, but from a functional standpoint, they don't have any advantages. All the new floor pan materials look much nicer than they did 20 years ago.

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
I just got one of my showers redone. I went with a custom fiberglass pan. I'm not a fan of grout on the floor (I just replaced a tiled floor). They look nice, but from a functional standpoint, they don't have any advantages. All the new floor pan materials look much nicer than they did 20 years ago.
Me and you are probably on the same page. My wife however…. Looks over functional

• Haha
Reactions: aTotal360

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
Easier to do with a Schluter linear drain at one end of the shower. Allows a single plane slope, like a ramp. To try to contour circular slope on a center drain with large format tiles is very difficult.
I understand that aspect and do like that style myself instead of just the center drain unless their are some negatives to that I don’t know about

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I understand that aspect and do like that style myself instead of just the center drain unless their are some negatives to that I don’t know about
1. Not the cheapest option.
2. Narrows tile options, need slip resistance
3. Likely will need plumber to cut holes in joists/saw slab to re-locate drain
4. You’ll have to hire a good tile contractor familiar with that system, or you’ll be tearing it out very soon.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I guess I was thinking it would be cheaper on the labor but maybe not
Actually it's more labor. The floor has to be perfectly level with large tile. The big tiles show any imperfections. Plus it's lots more cutting in confined spaces like bathrooms. I used to lay tile on weekends as a side gig. I hated 24x24 tile when it became popular.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Actually it's more labor. The floor has to be perfectly level with large tile. The big tiles show any imperfections. Plus it's lots more cutting in confined spaces like bathrooms. I used to lay tile on weekends as a side gig. I hated 24x24 tile when it became popular.
yep medallion or mosaic is go to for easy diy

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
If you do, make sure it’s a matte finish. You will bust ur *** on the glossy. polished large tiles . We did it in our bathroom floor because it’s the new trend and it’s beyond dangerous. Even in sock feet. It was a mistake. I can’t imagine if it’s wet.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I work in the distribution side of the tile industry. A competent tile contractor can handle any size tile for your shower, and he could also explain the pros and cons of larger format. Mosaic on the floor increases grout labor and cost as well.

The Schluter Systems, mentioned in this thread and others, is your friend regardless of whether you go the DIY route or hire someone. I also recommend Laticrete Spectralock 1 grout.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I've been thinking about doing this. I'm so tired of replacing cracked tile. Damn the look of it.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm so tired of replacing cracked tile.
Dang! You're having a lot more fun in the shower than me!

Paul Rudd Sigh GIF

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
To try to contour circular slope on a center drain with large format tiles is very difficult.
and asking for cracks if not done correctly. No personal experience but brother in law did a sloping pan with large tile and it was a pain and cracked around the actual drain. You also end up piecing little small pieces of tile or having a large grouted area around the drain too when doing this

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

The tile shower floor really is a terrible idea from a functionality standpoint. Looks great but really counting a lot on your installer doing it right. We did it for our master for looks but did not do it in the 3/4 bathroom.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I did my bathroom floor. No matter where you use the big tiles, be sure to use leveling clips.

ETA: check the texture of whatever you put on the shower floor. large format doesn't give you many grout lines to get any grip. I'd do smaller format on the shower floor, or something with some grip.

Last edited:

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
Thanks for the replies. Gave us some things to think about before we start doing anything. This will be hired out. I’ll do some things DIY but a tiling a shower is above my pay grade I do believe

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login