OT: Late tax refund

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
So I filled my taxes back in March and I still haven't gotten my refund back yet. I called the IRS three times. The third time, the agent looked more into it, and they were supposed to send a letter asking for more information, but the problem is they never sent it, nor did they list the reason it was pulled, so they sent it back up the chain to either send a letter or give the refund. They said it would take 10 weeks for it to somehow get resolved. Anyone experience or know someone this happened to?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I wish there was an easy way to deal with the IRS but there isn’t at all. It is almost always slow and frustrating and very hard to get in touch with anyone. Bless you for actually trying to call them. A lot of times it requires back and forth mail correspondence that can take several months.

If you don’t mind me asking, did you have your refund set up for direct deposit? If not, that can help slow down delays in the future. If it’s a direct deposit being this delayed, I feel for you, brother.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I wish there was an easy way to deal with the IRS but there isn’t at all. It is almost always slow and frustrating and very hard to get in touch with anyone. Bless you for actually trying to call them. A lot of times it requires back and forth mail correspondence that can take several months.

If you don’t mind me asking, did you have your refund set up for direct deposit? If not, that can help slow down delays in the future. If it’s a direct deposit being this delayed, I feel for you, brother.
Yeah, it's a direct deposit. I found an accountant's website that told which maze of buttons to push and I generally speak to someone within 15 minutes or less: https://support.taxslayerpro.com/hc...ow-to-speak-directly-to-an-IRS-representative

patdog

May 28, 2007
After a few minutes on hold, you'll be provided with the option of pressing 1 to get into the callback queue so you don't have to continue to wait on hold

always do this. The automated system will tell you what time the callback will come & it’ll come about that time. Beats the heck out of waiting on hold.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
It could be any number of things. It could be something as simple as the bank account info not being accurate. If the IRS adjust a refund, it likely relates to the withholding / estimate payments on the return being incorrect or unreported income that has been reported on a 1099. If its a big enough deal to you, the best bet is to get a CPA who has experience dealing with the IRS / Practitioner Priority Service.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Zarbok

Dec 2, 2022
So I filled my taxes back in March and I still haven't gotten my refund back yet. I called the IRS three times. The third time, the agent looked more into it, and they were supposed to send a letter asking for more information, but the problem is they never sent it, nor did they list the reason it was pulled, so they sent it back up the chain to either send a letter or give the refund. They said it would take 10 weeks for it to somehow get resolved. Anyone experience or know someone this happened to?
I got mine almost a year late last year out of the blue

• Wow
Reactions: preacher_dawg

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Any chance you are in the health care marketplace? Ive seen folks not provide that information and it can delay refunds.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Contact your local Congresscritter‘s office. I had to do that a few years ago and the IRS turned it around a couple weeks later. It is easy for them to ignore you; much hard to ignore a Congressional inquiry.

Reactions: dog12

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Contact your local Congresscritter‘s office. I had to do that a few years ago and the IRS turned it around a couple weeks later. It is easy for them to ignore you; much hard to ignore a Congressional inquiry.

This is what I was going to suggest. Find out who your Congressional Representative is and ask his/her office to help you. I'd also contact both of your Senators' offices and get them on it too.

Awwhellnaw

Jun 29, 2017
We still have not received our state refund from 2021. I guess Brett Farve pocketed that money.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
homer simpson GIF

Real question, do IRS phone bank employees speak comprehendible English or are they actually sitting in a big room in Bombay watching Rosetta Stone videos to learn it? Just wondering if the US Govt farms out jobs that could be done by unemployed Americans.

patdog

May 28, 2007
homer simpson GIF

Real question, do IRS phone bank employees speak comprehendible English or are they actually sitting in a big room in Bombay watching Rosetta Stone videos to learn it? Just wondering if the US Govt farms out jobs that could be done by unemployed Americans.
They speak English. Some are very helpful and knowledgeable, and some aren't. Just luck of the draw which you get.

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
Sucks you won't get penalty and interest added to your late refund like if you owed....

Zarbok

Dec 2, 2022
homer simpson GIF

The orange one cut IRS funding multiple years by a lot so nobody gets those jobs

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What is this "refund" you speak of ? **
Not slighting you, I saw the sarcasterisks. Most people don't get it though, in its simplest terms it's simply the IRS giving you back the interest free loan that you provided the US Treasury from your paycheck during the past year. I've always been amazed at the number of people that are excited to get money back. The goal should be to not owe a single extra penny and also not get a single penny of refund. When I had employees they were just overjoyed and thrilled to be getting a check back, they just couldn't grasp the concept that they had loaned their money interest free to someone, in this case the US Treasury when they could have had it in their own account earning them interest.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
You can contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service. Number will come up on Google search. If you don’t get any where there. Go to congressional rep and let one of their worker bees send over an inquiry.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Not slighting you, I saw the sarcasterisks. Most people don't get it though, in its simplest terms it's simply the IRS giving you back the interest free loan that you provided the US Treasury from your paycheck during the past year. I've always been amazed at the number of people that are excited to get money back. The goal should be to not owe a single extra penny and also not get a single penny of refund. When I had employees they were just overjoyed and thrilled to be getting a check back, they just couldn't grasp the concept that they had loaned their money interest free to someone, in this case the US Treasury when they could have had it in their own account earning them interest.
Most people are not mentally capable of saving money. This is the only way most people can accumulate money.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Waited over two years for my 2020 one, after one of my kids was claimed by someone else. IRS policy is to believe the first claimer, then slowly look into it if you Dispute it. Had to file by hand because the software would not accept the correct numbers without a valid SSN, which it wouldn't take because it had been claimed. And then MS came in and said I underpaid because of the IRS dispute.

I suggest not focusing on the delay, but on not giving you a reason.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login