OT Lawn guys best way to counter aggressive MSMA application

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
So I may have had too much to drink and didn’t check my application rate but I really wanted the Virginia Buttonweed dead. Mission accomplished. Anywho, the Bermuda is a tad on the yellow side after 4 days. What should I do to try and mitigate the damage?

Attachments

• C406769E-D3B4-42DA-A769-0EA6BB3B2DF1.jpeg
    C406769E-D3B4-42DA-A769-0EA6BB3B2DF1.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 14

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
So I may have had too much to drink and didn’t check my application rate but I really wanted the Virginia Buttonweed dead. Mission accomplished. Anywho, the Bermuda is a tad on the yellow side after 4 days. What should I do to try and mitigate the damage?
Get someone creative to make a cool pattern out of the yellow by adding more? Kinda like a bad tattoo cover up!

Reactions: Dawgg

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
it will recover quick but water and fertilizer is your best friend...its hard to backpack spot spray bermuda weeds and not get big spots....always error to very low use rates...I spray 12 gallons of water to the acre and have 3 acres....if im worried about about too much chemical and possibly overlapping, i will cut the rate in half and spray it twice.....for example....MSM turf....i get it from my company under a branded name and our rate is 3oz /acre....I will do 1.5oz to say, 10 gallons of water North and South in my yard and 1.5oz East and West in my yard with 10 gallons to the acre...the amount of water getting to the ground doesnt matter and keeps me over lapping and burning it up....

Col. Forbin

Oct 2, 2012
Coat in dales.

Reactions: Dawgg and mcdawg22

wjr13

Oct 5, 2022
First things first. MSMA is a grass weed herbicide only. It has no activity on Virginia Buttonweed, but I guess if you spray anything at a high enough rate it would probably kill it, along with your turf. MSM Turf on the other hand has activity on some broadleafs and grass weeds.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I always apply MSMA, via hose end sprayer at twice the suggested rate. The Bermuda will brown, but it'll be back better than ever in 3 weeks, keep it watered and hit it with some 13-13-13 on the third week right before a rain. I apply three times a year, early summer, mid-summer, and in early Oct.

Reactions: mcdawg22

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Looking at the picture, that doesn’t appear to be a sod farm, golf course, cotton field or a highway right of way.

MSMA hasn’t been labeled for residential turf since about 2004. So, unless you have product from this time that has “residential turf” on label, then this product was used inconsistent with its lableling.

With that being said, put the fertilizer and water to it and it will green back up in a couple weeks.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I always apply MSMA, via hose end sprayer at twice the suggested rate. The Bermuda will brown, but it'll be back better than ever in 3 weeks, keep it watered and hit it with some 13-13-13 on the third week right before a rain. I apply three times a year, early summer, mid-summer, and in early Oct.
Thanks for the advice. The only problem with where I live is 13x3 doesn’t have
Looking at the picture, that doesn’t appear to be a sod farm, golf course, cotton field or a highway right of way.

MSMA hasn’t been labeled for residential turf since about 2004. So, unless you have product from this time that has “residential turf” on label, then this product was used inconsistent with its lableling.

With that being said, put the fertilizer and water to it and it will green back up in a couple weeks.
It’s my golf course

Attachments

• 627C2B13-48A9-424C-828D-DB1B01773636.jpeg
    627C2B13-48A9-424C-828D-DB1B01773636.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 4

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Sprayed my whole yard last year with it. Had a bad dallisgrass problem (whole yard was dallisgrass) and couldn't get it under control. MSMA'd the whole yard, was brown for about 3 weeks then I started to see some green pop up, hit it with 13-13-13 and after a good rain it looked great. Six weeks after I had very little weed issue and the yard looks amazing.

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
it will recover quick but water and fertilizer is your best friend...its hard to backpack spot spray bermuda weeds and not get big spots....always error to very low use rates...I spray 12 gallons of water to the acre and have 3 acres....if im worried about about too much chemical and possibly overlapping, i will cut the rate in half and spray it twice.....for example....MSM turf....i get it from my company under a branded name and our rate is 3oz /acre....I will do 1.5oz to say, 10 gallons of water North and South in my yard and 1.5oz East and West in my yard with 10 gallons to the acre...the amount of water getting to the ground doesnt matter and keeps me over lapping and burning it up....
This is an outstanding way to do turf applications!

Reactions: Beretta.sixpack
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login