OT: Legends You've Never Heard Of... Probably

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Learned about Holt Collier in the safari thread. Now I have to find a book or two to read all of those stories. But, it got me thinking, how many other legends like Holt are out there that somehow have slipped through the cracks history and should be much more famous (or infamous.) So let's have a thread were we can share our collective knowledge on real life figures we should all know about, but probably don't.

I'll start:

This one is close to home. Like Holt, this legend is tied to Teddy Roosevelt. But my wife is a direct descendant of them.

The Abernathy Boys...

Catch em' Alive Jack Abernathy (Rancher, Wolf Hunter, and the Youngest US Marshall in History... All Around Badáss) My wife's great-grandfather
Louis "Bud" Abernathy (Jack's son, Adventurer, Judge) My wife's great uncle
Temple "Temp" Abernathy (Jack's youngest son, Adventurer, Oil man) My wife's grandfather

PBS The Abernathy Boys

Above is the link to a good 30 minute PBS documentary, but here's the TLDR if you'd rather read up a little before watching.

When Jack was in his teens, he was wolf hunting in West Texas on horseback. Jack was riding with a couple of his greyhounds whom he used for hunting. One of the wolves they were pursuing turned to slash at the dog that was gaining on him. Jack was riding close behind. That particularly dog was a favorite of Jack’s. Without thinking, he leapt from his horse and landed close enough to the wolf to thrust a fist toward the wolf and soundly landed his punch directly in the wolf’s snarling mouth. Somewhat to Jack’s amazement, his fist kept the wolf’s jaws from closing and caused the struggling animal to submit.

When a hunting companion caught up with Jack, he freed Jack’s hand, and they bound the wolf’s muzzle with wire. The wolf’s legs were tied, and he was packed on to the back of Jack’s horse. When they arrived back at the ranch, they weighed the wolf–130 pounds to Jack’s 127.

Jack went on to make a career of catching live wolves for a while and sold them for $50 to zoos, traveling shows, and the like. In 1905, after hearing about this guy catching wolves with his bare hands, Teddy Roosevelt made a trip to Oklahoma where Jack now lived to see for himself. The two became fast friends and Teddy named Jack the US Marshall for the Oklahoma Territory at the age of 28.

A few years after becoming Marshall, Jack took a trip to Santa Fe and met the Governor of the New Mexico Territory. Upon his return he told his boys Bud and Temple about all the sights and they wanted to go. Their mother had a passed a few years earlier and Jack was a single dad who caught wolves barehanded. So he let his 9 and 5 year old boys ride to Santa Fe on horseback... Alone to go meet the Governor of New Mexico. Why not I guess.

The next year, there was a big parade planned in New York City for Roosevelt upon his return from a year long trip to Africa and Europe. Jack told the boys he was going and they wanted to go to... But not by train like their dad. So at the ages of 10 and 6 they rode from Oklahoma to NYC on horseback... Again alone. This time they were becoming famous and ended up stopping in Ohio to hang out with the Wright Brothers and DC for a couple of nights to meet President Taft at the White House. Once they got to NYC, they were extremely famous and rode their horses with the Rough Riders in Roosevelt's parade.

Instead of riding back to Oklahoma, they bought a car and drove it home. At the time there were no paved roads, yet some how a 10 and 6 year old drove a brick on wheels 2500 miles. Every summer for the next few years they would take in adventures. They rode from Coney Island to San Francisco on horseback in 62 days the next summer. They were shooting for 60 to win $10,000 from some promoters. Then they rode a motorcycle to New York City one summer. By the time they were 14 and 10 respectively, the gig was up.

Jack got pissed off having to wait on a meeting after getting called to DC about something and resigned as Marshall. He worked for the Secret Service for a while, but eventually became an oil wildcatter in Wichita Falls. Bud went on to become a lawyer and judge. And Temple, my wife's grandfather, followed Jack into the oil business. He died when my wife was little (her mom had her in her 40's so she barely new her grandparents), but the stories all lived on. Her grandmother Alta, wrote a very good book called Bud and Me that covers all the stories. Here's a great example

the Santa Fe trip had been riddled with near-disasters. Bud’s horse Sam Bass, borrowed from his father, and the Shetland pony mix named Geronimo were sure-footed. But Temple contracted diarrhea by drinking gypsum water and sprained both ankles trying to dismount. Bud was forced to lie awake one night, firing his shotgun into the darkness toward a pack of wolves that circled while his brother slept. The boys ran out of both food and water between stops, and were saved by the kindness of strangers.

The most chilling episode was a note scribbled by the point of a lead-tipped bullet on a brown paper sack, addressed to “The Marshal of Oklahoma” and delivered to the Abernathy home. “I don’t like one hair on your head, but I do like the stuff that is in these kids. We shadowed them through the worst part of New Mexico to see that they were not harmed by sheepherders, mean men, or animals.” It was signed A.Z.Y., the initials of a rustler whose friend had been killed in a shootout with Abernathy.

Anyhow, it’s awesome that my kids have such a personal connection to something so cool. It's definitely on their radars too...

I don't know much about Bud's side of the family, but of all the descendants of Temple, my boys are probably most like he and Bud. Temple and Alta had nothing but girls and all his grandchildren except for one were girls. Our boys are the same age spread of 4 years and are now the same age as Bud and Temple when they went to see Roosevelt. My oldest (the smart, responsible one) has really gotten in to the history of it all and is trying to follow in the family legacy. I am having to take them to a wolf trapping class in September and he wants to go set traps this fall with his little brother (the fearless wild-man) like his great grandfather would have. The state reimbursed a local rancher $18,000 for hiring contractors to kill 4 wolves earlier this year. The oldest heard about it and want to get certified to trap/kill wolves and see if any of the local ranchers will pay them if they kill any more wolves... The oldest is planning on telling them all how he's the direct descendant of the greatest wolf hunter in history... Catch Em' Alive Jack. And the youngest wants to start catching them by hand when he's a little bit older... They even have their dog. We got them a silver lab puppy this spring from Leighton Vander Esch's parents. His dad Darwin is a professional wolf hunter/guide, so the labs must be bred for wolf hunting according to the kids.**

Last edited:

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Learned about Holt Collier in the safari thread. Now I have to find a book or two to read all of those stories. But, it got me thinking, how many other legends like Holt are out there that somehow have slipped through the cracks history and should be much more famous (or infamous.) So let's have a thread were we can share our collective knowledge on real life figures we should all know about, but probably don't.

I'll start:

This one is close to home. Like Holt, this legend is tied to Teddy Roosevelt. But my wife is a direct descendant of them.

The Abernathy Boys...

Catch em' Alive Jack Abernathy (Rancher, Wolf Hunter, and the Youngest US Marshall in History... All Around Badáss) My wife's great-grandfather
Temple "Temp" Abernathy (Jack's youngest son, Adventurer, Oil man) My wife's grandfather

PBS The Abernathy Boys

Above is the link to a good 30 minute PBS documentary, but here's the TLDR if you'd rather read up a little before watching.

When Jack was in his teens, he was wolf hunting in West Texas on horseback. Jack was riding with a couple of his greyhounds whom he used for hunting. One of the wolves they were pursuing turned to slash at the dog that was gaining on him. Jack was riding close behind. That particularly dog was a favorite of Jack’s. Without thinking, he leapt from his horse and landed close enough to the wolf to thrust a fist toward the wolf and soundly landed his punch directly in the wolf’s snarling mouth. Somewhat to Jack’s amazement, his fist kept the wolf’s jaws from closing and caused the struggling animal to submit.

When a hunting companion caught up with Jack, he freed Jack’s hand, and they bound the wolf’s muzzle with wire. The wolf’s legs were tied, and he was packed on to the back of Jack’s horse. When they arrived back at the ranch, they weighed the wolf–130 pounds to Jack’s 127.

Jack went on to make a career of catching live wolves for a while and sold them for $50 to zoos, traveling shows, and the like. In 1905, after hearing about this guy catching wolves with his bare hands, Teddy Roosevelt made a trip to Oklahoma where Jack now lived to see for himself. The two became fast friends and Teddy named Jack the US Marshall for the Oklahoma Territory at the age of 28.

A few years after becoming Marshall, Jack took a trip to Santa Fe and met the Governor of the New Mexico Territory. Upon his return he told his boys Bud and Temple about all the sights and they wanted to go. Their mother had a passed a few years earlier and Jack was a single dad who caught wolves barehanded. So he let his 9 and 5 year old boys ride to Santa Fe on horseback... Alone to go meet the Governor of New Mexico. Why not I guess.

The next year, there was a big parade planned in New York City for Roosevelt upon his return from a year long trip to Africa and Europe. Jack told the boys he was going and they wanted to go to... But not by train like their dad. So at the ages of 10 and 6 they rode from Oklahoma to NYC on horseback... Again alone. This time they were becoming famous and ended up stopping in Ohio to hang out with the Wright Brothers and DC for a couple of nights to meet President Taft at the White House. Once they got to NYC, they were extremely famous and rode their horses with the Rough Riders in Roosevelt's parade.

Instead of riding back to Oklahoma, they bought a car and drove it home. At the time there were no paved roads, yet some how a 10 and 6 year old drove a brick on wheels 2500 miles. Every summer for the next few years they would take in adventures. They rode from Coney Island to San Francisco on horseback in 62 days the next summer. They were shooting for 60 to win $10,000 from some promoters. Then they rode a motorcycle to New York City one summer. By the time they were 14 and 10 respectively, the gig was up.

Jack got pissed off having to wait on a meeting after getting called to DC about something and resigned as Marshall. He worked for the Secret Service for a while, but eventually became an oil wildcatter in Wichita Falls. Bud went on to become a lawyer and judge. And Temple, my wife's grandfather, followed Jack into the oil business. He died when my wife was little (her mom had her in her 40's so she barely new her grandparents), but the stories all lived on. Her grandmother Alta, wrote a very good book called Bud and Me that covers all the stories. Here's a great example

the Santa Fe trip had been riddled with near-disasters. Bud’s horse Sam Bass, borrowed from his father, and the Shetland pony mix named Geronimo were sure-footed. But Temple contracted diarrhea by drinking gypsum water and sprained both ankles trying to dismount. Bud was forced to lie awake one night, firing his shotgun into the darkness toward a pack of wolves that circled while his brother slept. The boys ran out of both food and water between stops, and were saved by the kindness of strangers.

The most chilling episode was a note scribbled by the point of a lead-tipped bullet on a brown paper sack, addressed to “The Marshal of Oklahoma” and delivered to the Abernathy home. “I don’t like one hair on your head, but I do like the stuff that is in these kids. We shadowed them through the worst part of New Mexico to see that they were not harmed by sheepherders, mean men, or animals.” It was signed A.Z.Y., the initials of a rustler whose friend had been killed in a shootout with Abernathy.

Anyhow, it’s awesome that my kids have such a personal connection to something so cool. It's definitely on their radars too...

I don't know much about Bud's side of the family, but of all the descendants of Temple, my boys are probably most like he and Bud. Temple and Alta had nothing but girls and all his grandchildren except for one were girls. Our boys are the same age spread of 4 years and are now the same age as Bud and Temple when they went to see Roosevelt. My oldest (the smart, responsible one) has really gotten in to the history of it all and is trying to follow in the family legacy. I am having to take them to a wolf trapping class in September and he wants to go set traps this fall with his little brother (the fearless wild-man) like his great grandfather would have. The state reimbursed a local rancher $18,000 for hiring contractors to kill 4 wolves earlier this year. The oldest heard about it and want to get certified to trap/kill wolves and see if any of the local ranchers will pay them if they kill any more wolves... The oldest is planning on telling them all how he's the direct descendant of the greatest wolf hunter in history... Catch Em' Alive Jack. And the youngest wants to start catching them by hand when he's a little bit older... They even have their dog. We got them a silver lab puppy this spring from Leighton Vander Esch's parents. His dad Darwin is a professional wolf hunter/guide, so the labs must be bred for wolf hunting according to the kids.**
Here's a link to Part 1 of a multi-part podcast on Holt Collier:
Bear Grease Podcast - Holt Collier Part 1

Here's a link to purchase the book written by one of the main sources for the Bear Grease podcast:
Holt Collier book

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
Paul Rainey

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Daniel Inouye, Medal of Honor recipient and US Senator from Hawaii

During a flanking maneuver against German machine gun nests, Inouye was shot in the stomach from 40 yards away. Ignoring his wound, Inouye proceeded with the attack and together with the unit, destroyed the first two machine gun nests. As his squad distracted the third machine gunner, the injured Inouye crawled toward the final bunker and came within 10 yards. As he prepared to toss a grenade within, a German soldier fired out a 30 mm Schiessbecher antipersonnel rifle grenade at Inouye, striking Inouye in the right elbow. Although it failed to detonate, the blunt force of the grenade amputated most of his right arm at the elbow. The nature of the injury caused Inouye’s arm muscles to involuntarily squeeze the grenade tightly via a reflex arc, preventing his arm from going limp and dropping a live grenade at his feet. This injury left Inouye disabled, in terrible pain, under fire with minimal cover and staring at a live grenade "clenched in a fist that suddenly didn't belong to me anymore."[29]

Inouye's platoon moved to his aid, but Inouye shouted for them to keep back out of fear his severed fist would involuntarily relax and drop the grenade. As the German inside the bunker began reloading his rifle with regular full metal jacket ammunition to finish off Inouye, Inouye pried the live hand grenade from his useless right hand with his left, and tossed it into the bunker, killing the German. Stumbling to his feet, Inouye continued forward, killing at least one more German before sustaining his fifth and final wound of the day in his left leg. Inouye fell unconscious, and awoke to see the worried men of his platoon hovering over him. His only comment before being carried away was to gruffly order them back to their positions, saying "Nobody called off the war!"[30]

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I'll start:

The Abernathy Boys...

PBS The Abernathy Boys

Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Marine Sniper

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
He (along with the rest of the 442nd) did his army training at Camp Shelby.
I did not know that until I read the Wiki just now, it's amazing how many troops have gone through there.

Haven't been in years but they used to have a fantastic museum.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Written for Adam Sandler, Eli Roth was a much better fit.
%100 agree... i couldn't even began to imagine anyone else being better in that role.... i don't know if you have ever seen True Romance but the character of the producer Lee Donowitz is Donny Donowitz son....

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
%100 agree... i couldn't even began to imagine anyone else being better in that role.... i don't know if you have ever seen True Romance but the character of the producer Lee Donowitz is Donny Donowitz son....
thanks, i will check that out.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Here is a good documentary about Holt Collier. It was made to try to secure funding for a full length feature film. I haven't heard any updates in a while. I think it would make an awesome movie. Slave, soldier, cowboy, bear hunter. Sounds like a pretty damn full life! ETA: One other thing that I'm pretty sure happened but I'm too lazy to go look it up right now is that sometime later, his former master was murdered and before the guy could be caught and brought to justice, Holt killed him. Everybody knew Holt killed him and they didn't blame him so they told him to head back to Texas for a while again until the heat died down.

Last edited:
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Here is a good documentary about Holt Collier. It was made to try to secure funding for a full length feature film. I haven't heard any updates in a while. I think it would make an awesome movie. Slave, soldier, cowboy, bear hunter. Sounds like a pretty damn full life! ETA: One other thing that I'm pretty sure happened but I'm too lazy to go look it up right now is that sometime later, his former master was murdered and before the guy could be caught and brought to justice, Holt killed him. Everybody knew Holt killed him and they didn't blame him so they told him to head back to Texas for a while again until the heat died down.

When listening to the podcast about him, I kept wondering why a movie hadn’t been made

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
I did not know that until I read the Wiki just now, it's amazing how many troops have gone through there.

Haven't been in years but they used to have a fantastic museum.
They still do. It’s great to go to when you have a day off or have got some spare time. They’ve done a good job with it.

Reactions: dorndawg

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
thanks, i will check that out.
i can't really think of anyone else on this board that would probably like this movie more than you , and im being serious...the amount of stars in their 1st roles is mind blowing... also this is where i got my user name from on here, minus dog23 of course

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Many only know him for establishing Jamestown but his adventures prior to crossing The Pond are also extraordinary.
a-team-imagines a-team GIF

He also loves it when a plan comes together.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
For the hunters from years gone by. Elmer Keith and Jack O’Connor. I love Elmer Keith’s book, “Hell I was There”, but the writings of Jack O’Connor kindled my love for hunting the American West. Mr. O’Connors “Big game” book should be required reading for all hunters. I read it over and over as a kid and almost had it memorized. What a thrill in recent years to ride and hunt some of the very same trails as Jack O’Connor and Teddy Rosevelt. Places like Two Ocean Pass, the Wyoming Thoroughfare, and Big Game Ridge, to name a few.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login