OT: Let’s talk about Spider-Man: No Way Home

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
What a good movie. Had zero expectations going in. I took my two boys (ages 11 and 7) to see it. I asked them how they liked it. My 11 year old is a deeply introspective, intelligent, artsy, band nerd kid. His answer was “It was very emotional. I’m still thinking about it.” My younger son is all-boy. Any sport involving a ball, and he’s there. His response was, “I liked the fighting parts.” I think I agree with my oldest boy. For a comic book movie, this one goes all-in for your heartstrings.

Grove Sh*tter

Aug 25, 2014
I was over hyped. It was good, but it was a half hour too long and the big emotional component in the middle felt a little forced to me.

My kids loved it.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
It was great. Really disappointed thought with the end credit. I was excited about the possibilities after seeing it in that characters end credits in its last film

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I had two LOL moments in the movie. The first was when Norman Osborn quips “I’m something of a scientist myself.” I was maybe the oldest person in the theater and the only person that laughed. The second is when middle Spider-Man asks old Spider-Man, “So, did you actually bring a suit or are you going into battle dressed like a cool youth pastor?”

I agree on the end credits. They weren’t worth staying for.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I think it’s a really good movie, one of the better Marvel and live action Spider-Man movies.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This movie juggled so many things and did them exceptionally well. You want to see how not to do it watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife It was okay but way too hammy.

Evidently you guys don't have any idea what Spider-Man NWH and the end credits represent.

That is pretty easy to do with the last shittastick Marvel movies but hang on to your *** if you like the Marvel stuff. NWH's success made them take every project back for rewrites and re-shoots after they saw a good movie that simply told a good story would make a billion dollars without carrying the water for the progressive crowd like Black Widow and The Eternals did.

The Dr. Strange movie is going to screw your mind up.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I thought it was great. Maybe a Top 5 Marvel movie. I thought bringing back so many old characters, especially the villains, was going to be overkill and make the story a little clunky but I thought they did a good job with it. I wish they had spent a little more time with all three Spider-Men together because that was a real highlight of the movie.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Maybe wasn't woke as they were lining up the new movies except to make the only male lead hero look like an idiot among strong women. Still... you beat the villain by smashing your face on the desk? WTF?

Not to mention her bitching about her sexy character that made her rich in the old movies.

View attachment 23561

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
Having a few strong female characters is a really stupid complaint.

That being said, the plot for the Black Widow movie wasn't great. Decent movie, not too memorable, except for one thing: Florence Pugh as Yelena is incredible. Not often you have women in lead roles pulling off the comedy moments so well (outside of the "funny fat chick" roles you see with Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson). She made an appearance in a recent Marvel series on Disney+, and her charismatic presence took over yet again. I hope she's given a shot in the lineup of the next Avengers, I could see her taking on an Ant-Man style comic relief role.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The interaction with all of them in Black Widow when they’re sitting around the dinner table is great.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I liked it. Top 10 Marvel movie, not top 5. I did not like the ending. Felt contrived and against the grain of the character, written more to wrap up contracts than to serve the story.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Maybe wasn't woke as they were lining up the new movies except to make the only male lead hero look like an idiot among strong women.

Well... I mean... Red Guardian wasn't a lead. He was a supporting character. If your bar for 'woke' is that the Black Widow seemed smarter than the Red Guardian in the Black Widow movie, then I think your woke-detector might be on the fritz.

I thought his character was great, by the way. David Harbour brought that same "caring gruff" that he has as Hopper in Stranger Things.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
What do you mean we don’t know what the end credits represent? I’m not trying to spoil anything, but I understand how it ties to the latest Sony film, what implications that has, and how it just potentially took that actor and character out of the picture while still being able to introduce marvel’s version of the character, unless it is able to find this earth’s E.B.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I'm opposed to the multi-verse. I don't mind exploring other dimensions as a one-off kind of thing. Using a multi-verse to bring in unexpected characters is just lazy writing. It is on par with (SPOILER ALERT) Bobby Ewing's death being just a dream.

FTR, I was also opposed to time travel being the solution in End Game. Make them get the stones back from Thanos (which turned out to be fairly easy). Don't set yourself up for a cheap, paradoxical plot.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don’t think it would have been done that way until they bought the Fox Marvel characters. This is their avenue to getting the Xmen in there at some point.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I tend to agree. Plots that involve time travel and alternate universes can be entertaining, but I tend to prefer plots where I know what I'm seeing is "real". I think that's why I enjoyed Hawkeye. Other than references to the blip, it didn't do any of that.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Exactly. It's the most logical way you can introduce these existing super heroes and everyone from the previous movies not be like "where the 17 were you when Thanos was kicking our asses?"

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Never said he was bad, just the movie. Glad you guys enjoyed it but it is in my bottom 5 of Marvel films just above the second Thor movie and Spider-Man Europe and just below Captain Marvel.

The woke is the only reason it was made because DC showed how to do a female lead with Wonder Woman. They were scrambling and the movie was a mess because of that. She deserved her own movie... 10-15 years ago.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm opposed to the multi-verse. I don't mind exploring other dimensions as a one-off kind of thing. Using a multi-verse to bring in unexpected characters is just lazy writing. It is on par with (SPOILER ALERT) Bobby Ewing's death being just a dream.

FTR, I was also opposed to time travel being the solution in End Game. Make them get the stones back from Thanos (which turned out to be fairly easy). Don't set yourself up for a cheap, paradoxical plot.

The Multiverse was a huge part of the comics and I don't think it's going to be simple. It's going to cause as much controversy as when we find out how many Skulls there are among the Avengers. They were the best part of Captain Marvel and they weren't thrown in there as a plot device.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I tend to agree. Plots that involve time travel and alternate universes can be entertaining, but I tend to prefer plots where I know what I'm seeing is "real". I think that's why I enjoyed Hawkeye. Other than references to the blip, it didn't do any of that.

Slight thread hijack, but I loved Hawkeye. When I heard they were making it, I kind of rolled my eyes a little because that's a supporting character if ever I've seen one and I didn't really have any real interest in seeing a show dedicated just to him. So I watched it with no real expectations. But I thought it was fantastic. Perfect Buddy Cop kind of show. Maybe my favorite of the four Marvel TV shows so far.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Slight thread hijack, but I loved Hawkeye. When I heard they were making it, I kind of rolled my eyes a little because that's a supporting character if ever I've seen one and I didn't really have any real interest in seeing a show dedicated just to him. So I watched it with no real expectations. But I thought it was fantastic. Perfect Buddy Cop kind of show. Maybe my favorite of the four Marvel TV shows so far.

They should have had a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie after the first Avengers but I guess they thought they could only make movies about the superheroes. Overall they have done well it's just the Phase 5 movies have felt forced. Endgame was crazy good and it's hard to follow that up

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012

I am someone who likes Endgame a lot but I will forever think Infinity War was the better of the two movies.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi

Yep, similar premise with Infinity War and Endgame. I was locked in the whole time for IW, Endgame gets a little bogged down in the middle of the movie.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
The Multiverse was a huge part of the comics and I don't think it's going to be simple.

Not when I was reading Marvel Comics. I never liked Dr. Strange in the comics, either. Just because a lame plot device was popular in the comics doesn't mean I should enjoy movies about it.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
When I was a kid, I hated Strange. His story was too mature for a little kid. I enjoy it now.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I had to look it up, but phase 5 hasn't begun yet. We're still in phase 4, but I agree with what you're saying. I could not care less about the first 3 entries in phase 4, with black widow being the best of the first 3. shang chi was ok, but in no way felt like a mcu movie, and eternals blew. we still have dr strange, ant man, guardians, fantastic four, thor and the marvels for phase 4 (as well as black panther but im pretty meh about it). Phase 5 is going to be banging with blade and deadpool.

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012

Hawkeye was good and I think a large part of it was that it had some great actors in it, especially Jeremy Renner, Florence Pugh and Hailee Steinfield. I’ve enjoyed Steinfield since she was in the remake of True Grit. She did a great job as a kid actor and has continued to do well.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login