OT: Louis Armstrong Airport

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
NOLA dawgs, how secure is the over night lot down there? I'm seeing reports of car jackings up 400%, arm robbery and assaults up significantly all over metro NOLA. Will be working between NOLA and Baton Rouge later this fall and thought about flying out of Armstrong instead of driving back to BHM. It'd save me 10 hours and two tanks of gas, if I worked the area, flew out then back into NOLA, then stayed and worked the area again the following week.

10 hours and 2 tanks of gas aren't worth it if I come back from a 5 day trip and my truck has been vandalized or stolen.

Thanks for any insight y'all might have.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
NOLA dawgs, how secure is the over night lot down there? I'm seeing reports of car jackings up 400%, arm robbery and assaults up significantly all over metro NOLA. Will be working between NOLA and Baton Rouge later this fall and thought about flying out of Armstrong instead of driving back to BHM. It'd save me 10 hours and two tanks of gas, if I worked the area, flew out then back into NOLA, then stayed and worked the area again the following week.

10 hours and 2 tanks of gas aren't worth it if I come back from a 5 day trip and my truck has been vandalized or stolen.

100% drive and isn't that more like a 6 hour drive? Either way, I'd drive (my rule is if I can drive it in a day (12 hours or less), that's what I am doing).

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
100% drive and isn't that more like a 6 hour drive? Either way, I'd drive (my rule is if I can drive it in a day (12 hours or less), that's what I am doing).
6 hours is generally the accepted drive/fly curve chart intersection point. Direct flight anyway.

As far as the lots, not sure on that, they are so different from airport to airport. I'd leave my car at any lot at JAN anytime. BHM? No way unless it's in the garage. I've only been in and out of MSY on Southwest, but I suspect from the surrounding areas, it's about like BHM.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Dated info, but I left my car for a week at one of the park and fly lots on Veterans late 2019. It was somewhat isolated from any potential foot traffic. If they have any security, it'd probably be fine. If somebody is driving up and not coming through the gate or walking up and not walking out of the shuttle, they'll stick out pretty good.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Carjackings and violent crime are up in Nola. I actually had a friend who lives there, well used to, carjacked a few months ago as she was headed to the airport. Had a gun to her head and she fought back, got hit a couple times but was otherwise unharmed physically, but not mentally, and they ran off. I flew out of Nola a couple of months ago, left the cheap family car in a nearby long-term parking lot knowing that it might get broken into. It didn't. Nola has a nice airport now. Nola is also more dangerous now. Cool festivals are back but cars get broken into regularly while owners enjoy the cool festivals. At least the mayor has good taste in foreign destinations when travelling on the public dime. She's otherwise useless. There's a slight chance something bad will happen to you. I go to Nola once in a while and take my chances. it's a cool city. Would be even better without the criminals and incompetent politicians.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Carjackings and violent crime are up in Nola. I actually had a friend who lives there, well used to, carjacked a few months ago as she was headed to the airport. Had a gun to her head and she fought back, got hit a couple times but was otherwise unharmed physically, but not mentally, and they ran off. I flew out of Nola a couple of months ago, left the cheap family car in a nearby long-term parking lot knowing that it might get broken into. It didn't. Nola has a nice airport now. Nola is also more dangerous now. Cool festivals are back but cars get broken into regularly while owners enjoy the cool festivals. At least the mayor has good taste in foreign destinations when travelling on the public dime. She's otherwise useless. There's a slight chance something bad will happen to you. I go to Nola once in a while and take my chances. it's a cool city. Would be even better without the criminals and incompetent politicians.
She also sides with the criminals in the carjackings.

https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orleans-mayor-latoya-cantrell-news-conference/40982472#

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
The NOLA Airport is out in Kenner in Jefferson Parrish, not the heart of the city which is in Orleans Parish.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008

I've flown out of there multiple times in last couple years. Never worried about parking there.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Never had a problem. It's expensive. The pay parking outside the airport is cheaper and it's locked up.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I've always used the US Park lot. It's not as convenient now that they've closed the old MSY, but I've never had an issue and their shuttles rarely have a wait time.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think in the new airport parking you will be fine. The new airport is really nice. I would park in the garage.

I wouldn't park on the side of the street in Orleans parish. That's a big no no.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I work in Nola, and i fly in and out of msy a lot. Given distance to Bham I would drive but that's me. Also depends on how much you are having to do it. If you would be driving every week that would suck. I used to drive from Jackson to college station almost every week. That got old an expensive fast.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Don't park in the open paid lots downtown without a security guard at night. Chances are your window will be busted. Never park on the street. I always tend to park in gated parking that someone can't just drive up or walk under and steel a bunch of stuff and make an easy getaway. We don't hangout downtown at night much anymore though or the quarter unless we go to a dinner with friends or work function that's down there.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Left mine in one of the pay lots across the street a few years ago because the garage was full. No issues. Left it there a little over a week.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I live in Metairie and fly out for work one week a month from MSY. I leave my car in the long term lot at the terminal and never worried about it. It’s expensive but I can expense it. I get the uneasiness about New Orleans crime. I hate crossing the parish line in Latoya Land. But the airport is in Jefferson. It’s fine.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I picked my daughter up at MSY (New Orleans International Airport) at 11:00 pm on Wednesday night (night before last). I didn’t experience any problems other than getting hassled by the Airport “Police” for parking next to baggage claim and waiting for her to come out and get in the car. I had a Colt 1911 (45 ACP) between my legs, a Glock 19 (9mm) on the the passenger seat and a Mossberg 12 gauge just to my right in the back seat just in case. It’s a little sketchy that time of night, but I’m not about to park in the short-term parking lot waiting for her. One of the security guards approached me and clearly saw my weapons when he looked into the car and he said “you’ve obviously been here before” and I just smiled and nodded at him. He smiled and told me to “have a good night”. The guy clearly knew that I was prepared and not intent on causing any problems. My daughter came out of the door, got into the car and he tipped his cap to me as I gave him the “thumbs-up” on the way out. I’m 100 miles from the Jackson Airport and 85 miles from New Orleans Airport. I hate New Orleans and I hate going there, but at this point I feel safer in New Orleans than I do in Jackson. I never thought I would say that, but it’s the truth in 2022. Within a few minutes we were out of New Orleans and headed west on I-10 to I-55 North. Once I hit Manchac, I felt safe…

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
6 hours is generally the accepted drive/fly curve chart intersection point. Direct flight anyway.

As far as the lots, not sure on that, they are so different from airport to airport. I'd leave my car at any lot at JAN anytime. BHM? No way unless it's in the garage. I've only been in and out of MSY on Southwest, but I suspect from the surrounding areas, it's about like BHM.

We have quarterly meetings in ATL. It is about 6 hours straight driving time from Jxn (7 factoring in stopping to eat, a gas stop and pee breaks). My co-workers who fly have to leave their houses 3 hours prior to the flight, fly for an hour and then it is probably close to two hours getting bags, arranging transportation and getting to the the hotel. That's if everything goes smoothly. After the meeting, I'm headed home, not having to wait for a flight back, I'm usually into the 'Sip before they are wheels up.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think Southwest killed the direct flight from MSY & BHM. I would definitely drive if you’re having to connect to Dallas, Hobby or Tampa.

Either way - I’m sure your truck will be fine. You’re probably more exposed to flooding than crime.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I picked my daughter up at MSY (New Orleans International Airport) at 11:00 pm on Wednesday night (night before last). I didn’t experience any problems other than getting hassled by the Airport “Police” for parking next to baggage claim and waiting for her to come out and get in the car. I had a Colt 1911 (45 ACP) between my legs, a Glock 19 (9mm) on the the passenger seat and a Mossberg 12 gauge just to my right in the back seat just in case. It’s a little sketchy that time of night, but I’m not about to park in the short-term parking lot waiting for her. One of the security guards approached me and clearly saw my weapons when he looked into the car and he said “you’ve obviously been here before” and I just smiled and nodded at him. He smiled and told me to “have a good night”. The guy clearly knew that I was prepared and not intent on causing any problems. My daughter came out of the door, got into the car and he tipped his cap to me as I gave him the “thumbs-up” on the way out. I’m 100 miles from the Jackson Airport and 85 miles from New Orleans Airport. I hate New Orleans and I hate going there, but at this point I feel safer in New Orleans than I do in Jackson. I never thought I would say that, but it’s the truth in 2022. Within a few minutes we were out of New Orleans and headed west on I-10 to I-55 North. Once I hit Manchac, I felt safe…

The airport is not in Jxn proper, but well into the safe confines of Rankin County. Depending on your route, you'd only travel through Jxn on the interstate at most. The Jxn airport is very safe, I've left my car their many times and never had a problem. Airfares out of Jxn are usually higher than MSY, but the convenience of flying out of a small, safe, not busy airport are factors to consider. Traffic getting into and out of the Jxn airport is very light.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login