OT: MACS/MPACT/529 Accounts

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
We are expecting our first child later this year and I am starting to explore my options for college savings. No telling what it may cost 18 years from now so I don’t want to get caught with my pants around my ankles.

Any advice or suggestions? We are firmly in the middle class income-wise so I don’t have a ton of disposable income but would like to start putting money back for little one’s education in the most advantageous way possible.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
We did 529s. What I deduced from talking to my finance guy is that MPACT isn’t what it used to be. I was either going to set up a 401k or 529 for my kids as a fund and he basically talked me in to the 529 due to the taxes it is ultimately spent on education. If college was ever paid for you could always change it and take the tax hit then. If you need a good Bulldog finance guy who will set you up in the metro go see Rice Family Wealth Investors in Ridgeland. They’ll get you fixed up.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
We are expecting our first child later this year and I am starting to explore my options for college savings. No telling what it may cost 18 years from now so I don’t want to get caught with my pants around my ankles.

Any advice or suggestions? We are firmly in the middle class income-wise so I don’t have a ton of disposable income but would like to start putting money back for little one’s education in the most advantageous way possible.
We went with a 529. He wound up getting enough scholarship money at MSU to get his undergrad pretty much for free. He used the 529 to get a masters somewhere else. The 529 is pretty flexible. You can even use those funds overseas if the college is on the approved list.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
529- 1. You dont have to committ to a payment which I liked bc you never know what will happen to you financially. 2. If you ever want to send your kid to Private K-12 you can use it there. 3. I dont trust any state run investment program especially since they had to pause new entries into Mississippi briefly. And just look at some state pensions around the country. 4. You can use any states 529 plan. 5. The 529 plan will cover more costs than a prepaid plan

And they are all easy to use. Its one area I wouldnt use a Financial Advisor for.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Appreciate the input. Who/what program is your 529 through for those of you that have one?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
New York. When I started it, it was one of the less expensive
options using index funds. Again, these things are incredibly user friendly and will adjust the risk exposure if the portfolio automatically based on your childs age. Dont pay An advisor a commission for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

LandDawg

Sep 1, 2009
Had a 529 gifted to our 1 YO son from a relative. Relative’s financial advisor showed him several states and they decided to use New Jersey. No idea why. May want to check NJ out.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
What I deduced from talking to my finance guy is that MPACT isn’t what it used to be.

Definitely not what it was originally. I signed both my kids up for a 2-year plan. First kid is on the old plan they year before they changed it, and 2nd is on the newer plan when it became available. It was something like a 70% increase in price.

And I question the intelligence of whoever put the new plan together. Old plan - you could make an annual payment in January that was a little cheaper than paying each month. But with the new plan, it actually cost more to pay at the beginning of each year than it did to pay monthly. wtf? Whoever set up the formula in excel for that one had the interest figured at the wrong date.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

A few thoughts from when I looked at it:

- I'm not sure if it changed, but when I first looked at it, the way I understood it is that the Mississippi prepaid tuition plan did not really guarantee you tuition. Up until your child is like 13, they had the option of returning your money with a certain return guaranteed (that wasn't that high). So unlike the earliest versions, you weren't really protecting against massive tuition inflation, but if tuition inflation lagged stock market returns, you didn't get money returned to you. That was enough to make me not want to do the prepaid tuition option when they were really young.

- I'd hesitate to do anything towards a 529 unless and until you are maxing out your retirement accounts. If you and your wife are fully funding Roth IRAs, you can at least pull the principal out. Worst case scenario you will have 200k of principal to pull out after 17 years (assuming no law changes, which I don't think the ability to access principal after five years will go away with respect to amounts already contributed). Not saying you need to max out two 401k or 403b's and two Roth IRAs if you both have access to them, but at least max out the Roth and do some towards a 401k and make sure you are on pace to have enough for retirement by around 62 before worrying about college expenses. Lots can change in the next 18 years with regard to college costs and options for paying for it, but I don't think needing a funded retirement is going to change.

- Don't get too freaked out about historical college inflation. Somebody still has to be able to afford college, so the historical inflation rate for college tuition can't continue into the future. I think the scam of loading kids up on guaranteed student loans to let college costs run rampant has almost run it's course. To the extent it hasn't, there will probably continue to be options with junior college (or even better, joint high school and junior college programs that let people graduate high school with an associate's degree) that will give some manageable options.

- Think in terms of diversity. College costs could continue inflating wildly (which obviously I'm skeptical of, but it wouldn't be the first or 1,000th time if I end up being wrong) or it could lag inflation as people stop requiring a better ROI to pay for college (which I'm also skeptical; I think we're at a reasonable equilibrium and it's going to continue around inflation). My goal is to try to prepay for two years of college for each child. If the stock market outpaces tuition increases, then yea I will have done worse on the money I spent on prepaid tuition, but at least I didn't do worse for a full four years worth payments and college can be more than paid for. If tuition increases outpace stock market returns, then I at least guaranteed two years of tuition being paid for, and we can either supplement our investments with cash flow for the other two years or if that's not an option, look at junior college for two years to minimize the pain.

- Don't put too much pressure on yourself to pay for everything. That will be great if you can, but having a little bit of student loan debt isn't the worst thing. Should hopefully keep them focused on earning enough money to repay it. The average undergraduate with debt from a public university still graduates with less than $30k of debt. That's not fun but it's extremely manageable. The student loan nightmare stories typically come from people that do some combination of going to private colleges, getting economically worthless degrees, getting advanced degrees, not graduating after taking on the debt, and/or becoming disabled after graduating.

- If you have family that are the type of people that would want to help with college expenses, putting enough into a 529 to get the fund started might be worthwhile because then while the child is young they can throw small amounts into it. Our kids got a lot of crap that wasn't necessarily cheap when they were under 5 from relatives that likely would have thrown money into a 529 if we had given them the option. They may not want to do it once the kids get old enough to appreciate the gifts and who they are coming from, but while they'r etoo young to know the difference they might. Probably not going to make a huge difference unless you have very generous relatives, but might end up being enough to cover books a semester or two without you or the kids giving up anything you really miss.

Not sure any of that is helpful, but that's where I am on it after looking into it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Appreciate the input. Who/what program is your 529 through for those of you that have one?

One thing to remember is that for states that give a deduction for 529 contributions, I think it's generally only available if you use that state's 529. So if you are in Mississippi, you get an immediate 5% "return" for contributions to a Mississippi 529 (although hopefully the value of that break will be reduced going forward). So if your state has an income tax and gives you a deduction for 529 contributions, you probably want to start at your state's 529 and only go somewhere else if the fees and/or investment options are ****** enough to negate the tax benefit.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
25ish years ago we did Coverdell, from reading up on it, it looks like a 529 plan has more flexibility, especially if you have relatives who may gift some money to your child (that was never an issue for me). The key is to start early, just $25/paycheck in a low cost indexed fund will net your child about $20k by the time the kids turns 18. As your income increases, increase the amount. I think a Coverdell can be used for K-12 expenses.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
We did 529s. What I deduced from talking to my finance guy is that MPACT isn’t what it used to be. I was either going to set up a 401k or 529 for my kids as a fund and he basically talked me in to the 529 due to the taxes it is ultimately spent on education. If college was ever paid for you could always change it and take the tax hit then. If you need a good Bulldog finance guy who will set you up in the metro go see Rice Family Wealth Investors in Ridgeland. They’ll get you fixed up.

Ditto this. My financial advisor gave me the same advice. I have a MACs 529 for my son, got my advisor to help me set up the percentages on my investment selections, and it has actually been performing fairly well.... outperformed my 401k thru my employer last year.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Haven't weighed in yet, because I'm in Alabama. Only advice I can add is to periodically re-evaluate your 529 choice in case there are changes to your plan or tax laws. I had an out of state plan for my daughter because Alabama's was terrible, but I didn't realize the state introduced a new and improved plan several years ago. You may even be able to rollover the funds to the better plan.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
We went the MPACT route, but being that we’re 7 years away from actually being able to use it, I’m hesitant to either endorse or talk bad about it.

On the surface, I liked it because of the fixed monthly payment, ability to lock in current tuition rates, and the flexibility to use towards other states/universities/kids. However, like I said, the rubber meets the road when it comes time to actually use it. Will report back in 7 years!

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
We did both for our two children and it has

Worked out great. I highly suggest you do both.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We did MPact around 20 years ago for both of ours.. worked out great for daughter. No debt and she “made” money going to college. On the other hand 20 year old son probably will never go to college, so I got 4 years of ppd MSU Tuition still available…

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
529- 1. You dont have to committ to a payment which I liked bc you never know what will happen to you financially. 2. If you ever want to send your kid to Private K-12 you can use it there. 3. I dont trust any state run investment program especially since they had to pause new entries into Mississippi briefly. And just look at some state pensions around the country. 4. You can use any states 529 plan. 5. The 529 plan will cover more costs than a prepaid plan

And they are all easy to use. Its one area I wouldnt use a Financial Advisor for.

Great advice here.

We went with the Virginia 529 plan, since we live in Virginia. However, like 8dog says, you can get into any state's 529 plan. No residency is required. And, you can use the 529 to pay many expenses at any eligible school in any state.

Three more things about 529s:
1) The money in a 529 grows tax-free. (The gains are not taxable.)
2) Virginia taxpayers enjoy the additional benefit of a state income tax deduction on contributions to their Virginia529 accounts. Maybe your state permits that too?
3) If you don't use up all of your money in your 529, then you can change the beneficiary of your 529. Thus, you could use the remainder for kid #2.

Of course, the more you can save EARLY, the more time your savings will have to grow. Here's my advice: after your child is born, open the 529 with the biggest lump sum you can muster. Then, set it up to take automatic monthly contributions from your checking account.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
My cpa initially advised an custodial account for our kids. His logic was if they don’t go to college or get college paid for with scholarships, the. They can use that money for whatever. A few years ago he advised a 529 plan to help with taxes. I still contribute to both.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login