OT: Maker's Mark Fans

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I know there are a lot of you on the board that enjoy Makers, myself included. I tend to keep a bottle of 46 Cask Strength and 101 at all times as a nice sipper when I have the sweet tooth.

Last weekend I picked up a bottle of the Makers Wood Finishing Series. I have to say, hot damn boys, that's a good whiskey. For simplicity sake, it's a cask strength Maker's with toasted barrel staves. It really adds that oak flavor I covet to the sweet wheat Maker's always brings.

It's a limited release, so get it while you can. Won't be back until next year. I just ordered 3 bottles from out of State. 1 more for me. 1 for company. And 1 to save for next year to compare to the next release.

Highly recommend.

View attachment 21338

bbqbully

Sep 14, 2008
We toured the distillery last month. That was one of the samples we tasted. Outstanding!

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
How does it compare to my normal go to, Evan Williams green label and diet coke?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
About the same way as my ******* and a kitty cat's. Both may be licked clean, but not quite the same.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I know there are a lot of you on the board that enjoy Makers, myself included. I tend to keep a bottle of 46 Cask Strength and 101 at all times as a nice sipper when I have the sweet tooth.

Last weekend I picked up a bottle of the Makers Wood Finishing Series. I have to say, hot damn boys, that's a good whiskey. For simplicity sake, it's a cask strength Maker's with toasted barrel staves. It really adds that oak flavor I covet to the sweet wheat Maker's always brings.

It's a limited release, so get it while you can. Won't be back until next year. I just ordered 3 bottles from out of State. 1 more for me. 1 for company. And 1 to save for next year to compare to the next release.

Highly recommend.

View attachment 21338

I'll have to look for that.

Makers Cask Strength, and Elijah Craig Small Batch (94 proof) have been my go-tos lately.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
EC is solid! Go select your own batch at Makers. Get it how you want it

Man, for the price point, I don't see anything out there that beats Elijah Craig small batch. There are better choices, but they cost a lot more. You can get EC cheaper than you can get a bottle of standard Maker's in some places. I pay 21.99 per bottle for it at my place. I feel like I'm stealing.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I will say, I'm not a huge fan of the heavy wood (that's what she said) taste. Like with an older Scotch, it's just too much. Haven't tried this Makers. How strong is the oak taste?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I wouldn't consider it strong. The wood taste you mention in Scotch might be something else entirely. Outside of some high dollar $100+ a bottle Highland whisky and a 14 year Glenfiddich Bourbon Barrel I reviewed on SPS, I have never gotten much pure oak notes out of Scotch.

Most Scotch starts aging in used bourbon barrels and lots are finished for the final 6-18 months in something else, like sherry casks. Something like Balvenie Doublewood is done that way and at least for me I get a lot of sherry notes and not much wood. Lots of folks love it, but sherry reminds me of the time I got into my great grandmother's prune juice as a kid thinking it was grape Kool aid. Can't get past it.

Also, a lot of Scotch is smoked with peat.... A whole other thing. That tastes like cigar ash and Robitussin to me. I just am not man enough for peated whisky I guess.

For me, the wood notes in "American" oak which is just white oak, live in the vanilla, caramel, to roasted marshmallow flavor. If you get into french oak, it gets a little spicier like cinnamon. Usually nothing offensive about the wood notes in my opinion. If you look at something like Woodford Double Oaked, you get these notes, but also with some spice and pepper from the high rye of Woodford. ( I personally love this combo, but I think I have some kind of rye allergy, anything over 12-13% rye category gives me a splitting headache.)

So back to the Makers Wood Finishing release. Everything from Makers is going to be a wheated bourbon (wheat instead of rye.) Most Bourbon is Corn, rye, and barley. Other wheaters are Weller, Pappy, Larceny, Old Fitzgerald, Wyoming, and some lesser known names. Wheat is sweet and rye is spicy.

So when you get into the Makers you are starting with a sweeter whiskey. With the wood finishing series they drop 12 staves of wood inside the barrel. Each stave has a little different character. For me it just adds some really good depth with a caramel and spice note not usually in the Makers. (It weirdly reminds me of when I used to chew tobacco and has a little flavor of Redman Golden Blend.)

For a comp. If you like Elijah Craig, that's a pretty oaky bourbon. If you like regular Makers and EC, this will be a good fit. It's cask strength, so it will have some ethanol on it. Let it sit in a glass for 5 to 10 minutes to let the ethanol burn off before drinking. I like to drop a large format clear ice cube in as well to cool it and slowly water it down.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I wouldn't consider it strong. The wood taste you mention in Scotch might be something else entirely. Outside of some high dollar $100+ a bottle Highland whisky and a 14 year Glenfiddich Bourbon Barrel I reviewed on SPS, I have never gotten much pure oak notes out of Scotch.

Most Scotch starts aging in used bourbon barrels and lots are finished for the final 6-18 months in something else, like sherry casks. Something like Balvenie Doublewood is done that way and at least for me I get a lot of sherry notes and not much wood. Lots of folks live it, but sherry reminds me of the time I got into my great grandmother's prune juice as a kid thinking it was grape Kool aid. Can't get past it.

Also, a lot of Scotch is smoked with peat.... A whole other thing. That tastes like cigar ash and Robitussin to me. I just am not man enough for peated whisky I guess.

For me, the wood notes in "American" oak which is just white oak, live in the vanilla, caramel, to roasted marshmallow flavor. If you get into french oak, it gets a little spicier like cinnamon. Usually nothing offensive about the wood notes in my opinion. If you look at something like Woodford Double Oaked, you get these notes, but also with some spice and pepper from the high rye of Woodford. ( I personally love this combo, but I think I have some kind of rye allergy, anything over 12-13% rye category gives me a splitting headache.)

So back to the Makers Wood Finishing release. Everything from makers is going to be a wheated bourbon (wheat instead of rye.) Most Bourbon is Corn, rye, and barley. Other wheaters are Weller, Pappy, Larceny, Old Fitzgerald, Wyoming, and some lesser known names. Wheat is sweet and rye is spicy.

So when you get into the Makers you are starting with a sweeter whiskey. With the wood finishing series they drop 12 staves of wood inside the barrel. Each stave has a little different character. For me it just adds some really good depth with a caramel and spice note not usually in the Makers. (It weirdly reminds me of when I used to chew tobacco and has a little flavor Redman Golden Blend.)

For a comp. If you like Elijah Craig, that's a pretty oaky bourbon. If you like regular Makers and EC, this will be a good fit. It's cask strength, so it will have some ethanol on it. Let it sit in a glass for 5 to 10 minutes to let the ethanol burn off before drinking. I like to drop a large format clear ice cube in as well to cool it and slowly water it down.

Cheers.

With scotch, the barrel aging gets strong after 12 year old IMO. But I only like high-end scotch. When you approach 20 years, it's tough IMO.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Sorry. I left part of what I wanted to say out. There are two components that a barrel adds to whiskey. Flavor and spice. Flavor is from lignins (vanilla flavor) and lactones ( caramel, marshmallow, coconut flavors.) Wood spice is from tannins. This is the stuff that can get really astringent with age.

I think it's the wood spice in the older scotch that's getting you. Scotch is able to mature slower for a few reasons. 1 is the cooler humid climate that doesn't get super cold or hot, vs 0-105° Kentucky temps. More importantly is the new wood used in bourbon reacts a lot quicker than the used bourbon or sherry barrels most Scotch ages in. This chart is awesome for nailing the timelines.

View attachment 21344

So from a wood flavor standpoint, in bourbon years 5-15 it's the dominant characteristic. In Scotch, wood flavor never really gets there because most of the lignins and lactones have already been released in those used barrels. I love the Glenfiddich 14 Bourbon Barrel Reserve because they basically just take Glenfiddich 12 and finish it in new charred American oak barrels pumping the lignins and lactones in. But in most Scotch over 12-15 years, you are going to get that tannin astringent bitterness out front.

My favorite bourbon is Michter's. These guys do some amazing things to create wonderful bourbon in 8 years or so. I think it has the best combination of wood flavor and spice out there in a bourbon. They do a few unique things, starting with barreling at a low proof so it's cut very little. Read this for interesting info.

https://michters.com/our-process/

I can wax poetic about this stuff all day, but use the chart above on your whiskey/whisky ages and I think it will help you find your flavors.

Last edited:

SheltonChoked

Feb 27, 2008
It's cask strength, so it will have some ethanol on it. Let it sit in a glass for 5 to 10 minutes to let the ethanol burn off before drinking. I like to drop a large format clear ice cube in as well to cool it and slowly water it down.

Cheers.

FYI, It's all ethanol..... That's what you want to drink.(you'd have to be a very ****** distiller to put the very small amount of methanol [the bad, make you go blind stuff] in your distilled spirit, since this is a professional, and not bubba's backwoods whisky, you are not letting anything you don't want to drink evaporate). Add a little water, or let the ice melt a little. But know cold masks your taste, that's why ****** beer is served Ice Cold.

And IMHO, Bourbon is best at 12-15 years, Scotch at 16-18 years.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You don't want the ethanol to overpower the other flavors. There are lots of other compounds that create the flavor of good whiskey. Letting it breathe after pouring and adding water have the same effect, letting some of the alcohol or ethanol evaporate to open up the other flavors. This is something I have read extensively on it and experienced it myself. It's universally accepted that letting whiskey breathe improves taste.

https://www.mashed.com/187313/why-you-need-to-let-your-whiskey-breathe/

I personally like bourbon cold, so intentionally make large format clear ice that slowly melts while I drink. When it starts to get to watered down I just add more whiskey. Here are some of the goodies in whiskey that you don't want to hide behind the high ethanol taste of drinking a 110 proof bourbon as soon as it's poured.

View attachment 21345

I mean, do you even Whisky Advocate?

View attachment 21346

If so we can continue the discussion at Whisky Fest in Chicago in November.**

Double Dawg

Mar 3, 2008
Quick note: used Maker's barrels are generally sent to the Laphroaig distillery to age their Scotches. Used Beam barrels are sent to the Sauza distillery to age tequilas. All 4 brands are owned by Beam Suntory.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's all 17'n fire water.

Never dream it's much more in denial of your passive or aggressive alcoholism.

90 proof is 45 percent chemical death and the conossiuers want 130 proof these days in pursuit of the purest hell.

There's a reason Makers used wheat at 90 proof for decades.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm beginning to think she didn't just mate you, she sat on your face so long the hypoxia created permanent brain damage. If you don't like whiskey that's fine. Drink Taaka red label and butt out of these threads if that's how you feel.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Late bump. Just went to the store and picked up the last bottle hiding on the shelf of this one.. Go get one if you can.

Whisky Advocate has named this number 2 in the Top 20 Whisky's of the year. (Nick Offerman 11 year Lagavulin was #1.) Larceny Barrel Proof B520 was number one last year and has blown up.

This 2021 FAE 01 is only available this year.

View attachment 23295

"Maker’s Mark has resisted the rampant experimentation that defines some distilleries, but they appear to be making up for lost time with two 2021 releases in their Wood Finishing Series, which started in 2019. This release is enhanced by an American oak stave that has been toasted on only one side then added to the barrel. This innovation amps up the oak influence without going overboard. Fresh-sawn oak, earthiness, leather, and iced tea are balanced by caramel apple, toffee, and baking spice. A flavor-packed, oak-driven bourbon that wears its proof well. (ABV varies)"
— Jeffery Lindenmuth

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I’m not a big fan of regular Makers so I tend to stay away from most wheated bourbons but I did get a 46 cask strength and a Larceny barrel proof and they are delicious. The high proofs aren’t as sweet to me.

In last 6 months my collection has grown, not to what some of y’all have but larger than what I used to have. I have learned more about what I really like now I have several to taste side by side. Example I always knew that I liked knob creek but have along side other I realize how much I like it. it really punches up, the 12 year old and the single barrel 120 are really good.

cfree3434

Jan 14, 2021
I’ve got this one and love it. Trying not to drink it too fast, but I’ve gotten some heavy tobacco notes on it, which I like. Very oily mouth feel. Very good bourbon! I’ve been on the lookout for the fae-02, but none to be found.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Man, for the price point, I don't see anything out there that beats Elijah Craig small batch. There are better choices, but they cost a lot more. You can get EC cheaper than you can get a bottle of standard Maker's in some places. I pay 21.99 per bottle for it at my place. I feel like I'm stealing.

I remember getting it for $14 back in Starkville when in college….was about the same price point as Jim Beam at the time.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Well said. It's very oily. The latest Booker's (Bardstown Batch) is the only thing I have had lately that has that same level of oiliness.

CFree.. let me know if you want to barter... I'm looking for a Weller Single Barrel and Michter's 10. I have 4 of these bad boys unopened now.

View attachment 23296

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Once 46 is done aging, they make special barrels with 10 unique staves of wood that have been toasted or the like and then they throw it back in for a little more aging. It's like a double oaked version of 46, but it has a little more profile added to the 2nd barrel.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Gonna have a look for this one. I did snag a bottle of the Dickel Leopold Bros rye, if you can find it and like rye this one is pretty amazing. Apparently the new Master at Dickel found some old one-off barrels in the warehouse and felt like experimenting. Turned out really good.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Anyone looking for Colonel Taylor Small Batch, Weller SR or McKenna 10 yr? I know these are popular on here. I picked up the Colonel earlier tonight, but there were still cases of McKenna and a few Weller SR on the shelf.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Another follow up. For those that are already open bottles, we could trade 2 ounce sample bottles. I saw some people split an Old Fitz between 6 guys at our lottery. I never thought about doing that, but seems like a way to at least share the wealth about if someone can spare a taste, but not an entire bottle.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Well said. It's very oily. The latest Booker's (Bardstown Batch) is the only thing I have had lately that has that same level of oiliness.

CFree.. let me know if you want to barter... I'm looking for a Weller Single Barrel and Michter's 10. I have 4 of these bad boys unopened now.

View attachment 23296

Where are you at? Sound like you need a visitor to help you with this problem.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm in. I have lots of goodies open from the hard to find shelf. Russell 13, Stagg Jr, Little Book, Booker's, Elmer T Lee, Blanton's, McKenna 10 BIB, Larceny Barrel Proof.

We need to get Scoobadawg in... His shelf is amazing.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If I have been paying attention... and I have. Your better half would be the visitor of choice to help me with my whiskey.

No longer in Tejas or I would be glad to share the wealth.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Anyone looking for Colonel Taylor Small Batch, Weller SR or McKenna 10 yr? I know these are popular on here. I picked up the Colonel earlier tonight, but there were still cases of McKenna and a few Weller SR on the shelf.

What is your flavor? Weller SR is not available here. I have Blanton's to spare.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If I have been paying attention... and I have. Your better half would be the visitor of choice to help me with my whiskey.

No longer in Tejas or I would be glad to share the wealth.

You have been paying attention! We went to her cousins wedding a couple of years ago and she had one of those special bottles of Makers Mark and shared it with us because we beat everybody else into town and the Mrs. has been hooked on Makers ever since then... Until I brought home a bottle of Bullet and now she'll only drink that.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007

View attachment 23296

Nice. I'll start looking around Denver today.

cfree3434

Jan 14, 2021
I’m always up for some trading, but don’t have your iso. Headed up to Chattanooga this weekend. I’ll be on the lookout.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
This thread got me looking for some FAE. I haven't been able to find any but several stores had their had their own recipes with different finishes. So I picked this up from the Quarter on Lakeland. I'm sure its different but I hope it still good.

View attachment 23330

cfree3434

Jan 14, 2021
This thread got me looking for some FAE. I haven't been able to find any but several stores had their had their own recipes with different finishes. So I picked this up from the Quarter on Lakeland. I'm sure its different but I hope it still good.

View attachment 23330

I found some in north Ms, but it was more than I wanted to pay. I’m going to Chattanooga for a couple days and think I will look there. That knob creek 12 yr is one of my favorites.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login