OT - Memorial Day Weekend Cooking and Drinking

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Between my son's birthday party last night, a pool party and crawfish boil today, and then hosting a cookout tomorrow, we've got a busy weekend, but of course I've figured out a way to make sure that the smoker stays busy starting this morning.

Nothing too crazy as I'm starting with smoked sausage and chicken tenders today. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing with the chicken as I've never tried to smoke tenders before, but I've got them in a greek marinade right now, the plan is to smoke them for about 45 minutes or so, and then I'm going to toss on the grill for a quick char before packing them up. Any advice y'all have on these things is more than welcome.

Tomorrow, it's a pork butt and brisket point since it's going to be a small crowd, and I think I'm going the burnt end route on the brisket. I've also got a case of a Lost Forty mixer that has a great rockhound IPA in it for early drinking, and then I picked up a bottle of Town Branch cask strength for later on. I've never tried the Town Branch before, but we'll see how it goes

What does everybody else have planned?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I'm 20 days into 40 days of not drinking w/ one cheat day, which was yesterday. Tried to make the most of it but definitely jumped around:
View attachment 24503
View attachment 24504
View attachment 24505
View attachment 24506
This last one is pretty cheap and pretty good. Not sure if it's in most MS stores, but I think it's a good intro to scotch if you're looking to test the waters

Got #1 and #3 at the local grocery store, #2 and #4 at Total Wine. Love the lax liquor laws here

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Bought four slabs of spare ribs and some veggies to do some skewers - corn, squash, zuzzins, okra, tomato, mushrooms.
Going trim to St Louis cut and do one dry with a medium-hot rub, two wet with bbq, and one with a spicy rub with a pb&j glaze.
I’ll smoke until I have a good color and bark and the rub doesn’t stick to my fingers then wrap. Spritz with acv when they are drying and need it. Hickory wood for smoke. I’ll wrap with honey, butter, and a tiny bit of vinegar sauce to around 195 degrees, reapply the rub, let it get a good bark back, then glaze and finish until it’s the right temp.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
To me Memorial Day is a day of remembering those who gave their lives in the defense of this country. Many of them were only 18 years of age. I just never thought of it as a day to barbeque and celebrate. I don't have any ill will for those who do. I just don't do it myself. To each his own. I will probably watch old WWII war movies.

Last edited:

imissplatinumplus

Dec 13, 2006
Hail STATE! Hail STATE!

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Started yesterday with pecan wood cooked chicken quarters on the stick burner. Steaks today. I haven’t decided for Sunday but will boil two sacks of crawfish on Monday.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
To me Memorial Day is a day of remembering those who gave their lives in the defense of this country. Many of them were only 18 years of age. I just never thought of it as a day to barbeque and celebrate. I don't have any ill will for those who do. I just don't do it myself. To each his own. I will probably watch old WWII war movies.

Same. I lost some good friends in Iraq. Just can’t get behind the party theme this weekend carries for most Americans. Don’t get me wrong. We’ll spend time with family and friends and have a few drinks and some good food, but Memorial Day holds a truly somber tone for me. It’s a day to reflect, remember and be grateful for the sacrifices made on my behalf. I think we’d be better as a country if more folks stopped to think about the blood that has been spilled on their behalf on a regular basis.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Today. Pulled pork. Cajun sausage and cheese. Hot dog burnt ends. Baked beans. Coleslaw. Potato salad. Pasta salad. Rotel. Homemade vanilla ice cream. Chocolate pie. Yuengling lager.

Tomorrow I’m breaking in my new blackstone. Eggs. Bacon. Sausage. Hash browns. Biscuits and gravy. Extra spicy bloody Mary’s.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Had my first blackstone smash burger a month or two ago, and it was enough to make me thinking about adding one to the collection. Those things are awesome

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I hear ya man, and of course no disrespect intended. We’ll pay our respects on Monday as always

I’ve just reached that point in my life where parents seem to be getting older faster and kids are growing a foot taller in the blink of an eye, so we take every opportunity these days to enjoy time together. Cheers to all of y’all and those that make this possible for us

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I should be amazed that the BBQ queens downvote a vet who respectfully says he feels differently about Memorial Day than their ridiculously fortunate asses do, but I'm not amazed.

If you downvoted anything Glorydawg said in this thread, you suck anything you consider ******. He's got way more class than me so I'll just say what I think needs to be said.

Enjoy your ridiculous obsession with cooked meat and distilled poison (which I share, but don't obsess like a child over)

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Going to smoke some Butterflied Drumsticks and drink Miller Lite.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Eat a Snickers. Glory is a purebred crayon eating leatherneck who somehow made it through a stint in the Corps without drinking. He definitely doesn't need you sticking up for him.** And I bet dollars to donuts it ain't the "BBQ Queens" on this board downvoting Glory... It's the other queens.

3rd gen combat vet here. Spent nearly half of my Memorial Days on military bases in and out of uniform. Memorial Day on base is usually a ceremony in the morning followed by a parade, airshow, concert, fireworks, and shitloads of cold beer and proteins cooked over fire. It's a celebration.

I respect Glory and Bel's process, but mine is to throwdown. My father passed a couple of years ago and my grandfather over 30. But those 2 17ers saw and lost more (WW2 and Vietnam) than I could imagine and they spent Memorial Day entertaining friends and family over a hot fire with a cold Budweiser in hand.. Would be nice to have just one more with em'.

I say put a crisp flag out in front of the house, ice down more beer than you think you need, throw a bunch of meat over a fire, and invite everyone you love over for the official kickoff of summer... You never know who's last summer it will be. If you want to take an extra step, call the local VFW and find out if there are any old vets hanging around that don't have anyone left to celebrate with and invite them over as your guest of honor.

Remember the dead and celebrate life. That's my process.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Sounds good Seinfeld. Let us know how the brisket flat burnt ends turn out. Just got off the phone with a friend in Boise e who's doing a point only as he has a few family members in town. I'm guessing the point cooks pretty similar but that flat outta fly through the cook.

I did my biggish cookout early this week when the weather was good. Memorial Day is setting up to be a little bit of a **** show weatherwise up here..

View attachment 24512

I did get my new smoker in yesterday and plan to season it tomorrow. Father's day weekend is going to be it's maiden voyage most likely.

View attachment 24513

Our town gets overrun by tourists in the summer and especially the 4th of July so we are doing a big locals only cookout for the 4th with multiple briskets and butts along with ribs and sausages. We are going to try to feed 75-100 total.

As for Monday, I am throwing a couple of wagyu tri tip steaks on the inferno and drinking Stagg, Jr because this bottle I have open right now is pure fire.

Happy Memorial Day to all and let Ray get you in your feels if you like.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I had a frozen Walmart flatbread pizza and I'm on my fourth Dos Equis. I was too tired to light the grill but I do have a Welcome Home Beef hanger steak in the fridge for tomorrow night. Wife came in with a couple of 1 1/2 thick bacon wrapped pork chops for Monday. Going to play golf tomorrow, yard is laid by for a few days, checked all the boxes on Mrs Bite's To Do list, life will be good for the next few day.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We're all clear on your family's service and everything else about your life here. Respect for that. My issue is simply with those who would downvote a respectful (which Glory was ) indication of how someone who's earned the holiday sees Memorial Day.

And Id bet your wrong on where the downvotes came from.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I bet it's from the same buttlickers that downvote everything. Go look at the Top Gun thread, Glory snagged a few downvote for pointing out the lack of geratriac fighter pilots. It's exhausting work for some of these clowns to downvote everything all the time, but they are consistent if nothing else.

Just don't drag the BBQ nuts into that group. We only downvote for cooking on something other than our preferred type of grilling apparatus.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Had my first blackstone smash burger a month or two ago, and it was enough to make me thinking about adding one to the collection. Those things are awesome

Do it. You won’t regret it. I make smash burgers at least 3 or 4 times a month on mine. Also, jambalaya fried rice is the tits and you just flat out can’t beat making breakfast on one. I can cook about 10 pieces of French toast while a pound of bacon is cooking at the same time.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I bought a griddle for my gas grill and use it for that, just not as big as a black stone. I made tallow with my last brisket I trimmed. Last weekend I made smash burgers in the smoked tallow and seasoned them with kinders prime beef rub. Add some bacon and some fresh jalapeño slices. It doesn’t get any better. If there was a burger joint on the coast that made something that delicious and easy it would be the busiest place down here. Finding a good burger joint is real hard to do

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Got a 36" Blackstone and love it. Also makes some mean fajitas, but nothing quite like the smell of bacon and sausage cooking when you slap it on there. Then throw down some onions to make some loaded omelets. It's divine.

As for the weekend, bbq chicken tonight and baby backs tomorrow.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
View attachment 24515Did a Tri Tip today with baked beans and mashed potatoes. Wasn’t planning on drinking today but that may change. If it does it will be some Captain Morgan by the pool.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I should be amazed that the BBQ queens downvote a vet who respectfully says he feels differently about Memorial Day than their ridiculously fortunate asses do, but I'm not amazed.

If you downvoted anything Glorydawg said in this thread, you suck anything you consider ******. He's got way more class than me so I'll just say what I think needs to be said.

Enjoy your ridiculous obsession with cooked meat and distilled poison (which I share, but don't obsess like a child over)

Are you the type of guy who gets upset if your friends don’t like the post you make on Facebook?

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
We're all clear on your family's service and everything else about your life here. Respect for that. My issue is simply with those who would downvote a respectful (which Glory was ) indication of how someone who's earned the holiday sees Memorial Day.

And Id bet your wrong on where the downvotes came from.

I've got an idea who it is:

View attachment 24516

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login