OT: Memphis

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Where are the safer communities to live if you have a job in downtown Memphis? This would be for a new graduate. Also is the mud island area a good community? Their apartments are $1400/month for a one bedroom.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
it depends on how far they are willing to commute. If they want the downtown experience Harbor Town is probably the best bet but you will still have to deal with petty crime in that area. If you are looking at safety vs cost of living I would look at Southaven, Collerville or Germantown. I'm sure there are others on the here that can speak to the Midtown or Crosstown areas in Memphis.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Annesdale Park and Central Gardens areas are "safer" but you still have to keep your guard up at all times.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
There are lots of young folks living in the Midtown and Garden Districts (and love it). As I said, you just have to know how to keep your guard up.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
There are lots of young folks living in the Midtown and Garden Districts (and love it). As I said, you just have to know how to keep your guard up.
Yeah but I consider that in town. I was talking more Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, Arlington, Southaven, Olive Branch. The bedroom commuter communities.

sfnsfn

Apr 3, 2020
Harbortown would probably be the best, closest choice. After that, I would try to find an apartment in Collierville, east Germantown, or the Silo Square area of Southaven. Any of these will be at least a 30 minute commute to downtown.

There are other safe areas like Hernando or Lewisburg but it will be hard to find a place to rent in either of those....and a longer commute.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Harbor town is nice. My buddy lived there for years and loved it. There was a get-together or party often. The summers were great. If you live there long, you meet people and learn it's own community. You have a small grocery store there.
If I was a young man and had it to do all over again, I'd choose harbor town.

If you can't find anything in harbor town,.....
Memphis has done a lot to revitalize south downtown. The South end of downtown has a lot of new apartments and condos that 20 somethings are living. As well as many restaurants and bars.

Last edited:

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
I agree with Maroonthirteen’s post. Yes there are safe communities such as Collierville Germantown Southhaven etc. The problem with those is your drive to get to work downtown will take you through areas that you don’t want to be driving every day because of the traffic and the idiots and criminals now driving in Memphis.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
For a downtown job definitely Harbortown or South Main. You always have to be aware of petty theft, ie, don't leave anything in your car or outside unless you live above street level.

Overton Square has a number of older apartments and offers restaurants and bars.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
Collierville and most of Germantown are pretty far from downtown for a commute. Also, pretty boring areas for a single guy. You’ll spend a fortune on ubers and parking garages trying to hangout with people your own age midtown and downtown.

Death Rattle

Aug 22, 2012
Anywhere on or close to S. Main downtown. It’s far better than Harbor Town. Midtown would be my next choice after downtown.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Try Shelby Forest-Frasier if the boy needs an area with 'character'.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
South main are really picking up steam condos apartments etc or go to Harbor Town. Just ran into a healthcare professional today you left Nashville for Memphis the cost of living too much in Nashville..I’m hopeful Memphis sees some positive growth in the next 10 years

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
I will add. $1400 is about the going rate for an apartment in a decent area of Memphis. The South Bluff apartments are nice and go for that amount as well.

Civic center apartments in Southaven are decent apartments if you need something cheaper. But they aren't much cheaper. Anyways, that is an easy commute to and from downtown. I55 to Riverside has lighter traffic than 385/I240.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
What was Spurs? I kicked it at Illusions, D&D and up north at Shooters. Good times. Seems like a lifetime ago.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
This 🧵 makes me wonder why decent people put up with this ****.

hailmari1

Aug 29, 2017
Harbortown is cool and there are some complexes that are gated. There is a small grocery store there but it’s very overpriced. Most people I know living downtown drive to Southaven or East Memphis to grocery shop, because the Kroger in midtown is an absolute cluster.

I lived in Collierville in some solid apartments for a while and enjoyed it. Quiet, great town, but probably not the best option if you’re gonna be barhopping a lot. East Memphis living was good. Never had any issues or felt unsafe. Plenty of food and store options. Not the best bars in town, but it’ll get you by on a midweek hang. Lots of young professional types living there.

I commute to work from Hernando now, and I love it. But if I were still in my 20s and single, I’d enjoy downtown or midtown while I can.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Lived in Melvis for 5 years post MSU graduation

I didn't know Memphis back then and lived in Cordova, just north of Germantown, just to learn the city. Stayed there a year then moved to Midtown; that's the place to live in Memphis. No doubt. Yeah, there is crime (thus one of the many reason I left the city) but it's a good time. Tons of young people in Midtown.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Harbor Town and South Main are great for Downtown. There are plenty of apartments in this areas. You could also look towards the Edge District as that is having a resurgence. I know the old wonder bread building has apartments now.

Midtown has a few decent areas, but downtown is better for Apts. Most people start downtown and move to Midtown after they get a feel for the neighborhoods.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
Where are the safer communities to live if you have a job in downtown Memphis? This would be for a new graduate. Also is the mud island area a good community? Their apartments are $1400/month for a one bedroom.
For a downtown job, I would look at south main or harbor town. I worked downtown for a while and a lot of the younger crowd lived downtown and loved it. If they are wanting to commute in, you have Midtown, Bartlett, Southaven, and Germantown. If they are will to commute a little bit farther away, then you can look at Arlington or collierville.

Harbortown rent is very high.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login