OT Metaverse

Jwsjr

Oct 8, 2013
With todays Microsoft/Activision news does anyone want to explain in terms I can understand what metaverse is and why this 90B deal is so impactful. Keep it simple please. Weird **** to me.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's a place where if you are dissatisfied with your real life, you go online and make a fabulous virtual life for yourself. Immersive-Interactive version of The Sims... It's really scary to think of the repercussions of the long term effects it will have on human behavior.

On the bright side there are some real business applications. Companies can build virtual products and test them in the metaverse before the real world in certain scenarios. Ultimately my take is there will be a lot of people not getting laid in the metaverse.

ETA. If you have 10 minutes watch these 2 videos for information about the metaverse from Zuckernerd and absolute joy from a massive troll by Iceland.

Last edited:

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
On the bright side there are some real business applications. Companies can build virtual products and test them in the metaverse before the real world in certain scenarios. Ultimately my take is there will be a lot of people not getting laid in the metaverse.

Will the metaverse controllers be one handed or two? Asking for a friend.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
It's a place where people can hide from reality, freeing up cooler real-life things for people like you and I. The more people in the metaverse, the better for me.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
With todays Microsoft/Activision news does anyone want to explain in terms I can understand what metaverse is and why this 90B deal is so impactful. Keep it simple please. Weird **** to me.

Sixpackers have already cornered the market on blue tents and buffets

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I hope y'all like these tech gods They will be in control of a huge part of our lives from now on.

At least they don't try to control things too much... Right?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
It's a place where people can hide from reality, freeing up cooler real-life things for people like you and I. The more people in the metaverse, the better for me.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
No kidding. Who would have thought Idiocracy and Demolition Man would be the best insights into our future...

kired

Aug 22, 2008
So basically we turn into the people on wall-e?

Why can't zuck quit awkwardly moving his hands?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
This is direct competition for fraternities and sororities - the orginial solution for the socially challenged

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
This was the original "metaverse" back in the early 2000s. Zuckerberg likes to steal everyone else's ideas and call them his own. He is Bill Gates Jr.

View attachment 23629

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
Yeah, it's really stupid.

It's just Second Life / VRChat but backed by Facebook. I assume there's going to end up being some ridiculous NFT marketplace that loses people a bunch of money.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
All I know is that when I woke up this morning I owned 1600 shares of ActiVision!

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Sounds like an online dating site for nerds in virtual reality glasses that have lost touch w/ the real world. Like Facebook, I believe I'll pass and just hang out w/ real people w/ real issues like 6Packers.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's just Second Life / VRChat but backed by Facebook. I assume there's going to end up being some ridiculous NFT marketplace that loses people a bunch of money.

I haven't watched the video, but my assumption is that this is going to end up being a platform for VR Only Fans and such.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Regardless of the Metaverse, Microshaft taking over gaming companies is bad for people that like good gaming. They ruined almost every title they were involved in back 20 years ago and now they are trying to take over the market again. Some companies just suck at making games, and Microsoft is the worst of them.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
It's a place where if you are dissatisfied with your real life, you go online and make a fabulous virtual life for yourself. Immersive-Interactive version of The Sims... It's really scary to think of the repercussions of the long term effects it will have on human behavior.

ETA. If you have 10 minutes watch these 2 videos for information about the metaverse from Zuckernerd and absolute joy from a massive troll by Iceland.

It's a VR marketplace. Do you like how you dressed your avatar in levis and nike? Well then use the currency of the this meta space and they'll ship it to you. Want to sell something in the meta verse then buy this property and put in a meta store. soon you'll be able to jump platforms the same as you can move between cities, states, and countries. better get used to it. walmart made a similar move last week too.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012

But if we are already living in a simulation or in the Matrix what is the metaverse.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I think the big picture play is subscriptions. They'll make all the Activision IPs exclusive to XBox Game Pass.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Regardless of the Metaverse, Microshaft taking over gaming companies is bad for people that like good gaming. They ruined almost every title they were involved in back 20 years ago and now they are trying to take over the market again. Some companies just suck at making games, and Microsoft is the worst of them.

Ubisoft
EA
Activision
Microsoft
Sony

Each one of those names would be considered a giant in the industry. Each one of those names, if you polled the average gamer, might be labeled more evil than Satan himself depending on where their biases lay. Personally I'm excited by the idea of Microsoft eating Activision-Blizzard. It can only be good news for WoW, Diablo and Overwatch because those IPs have nowhere to go but up. Or at least they might get folded into Game Pass.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I wonder if they’ll have the brown shirt squad monitoring proper behavior like the fact checkers.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
We need to have something for people to do all day when we automate their jobs and pay them to not work because their low wage job is now done by a robot.

gwadSIG

Aug 30, 2017
Will stereotypes still exist or we will we judge everyone based on their social credit score?

Aug 22, 2012

They're making Ready Player One real because it is cheaper than fixing the actual planet, which means Ready Player One will be the actual future instead of the Star Trek we were hoping for.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Just finished reading Cloud Cuckoo Land....it gives a good description...

There is a book out which is on the NY Times best seller list called Cloud Cuckoo Land....i think there is an older version of it....its a very hard read, but will give you a better idea of what you will see mentioned in VR/Metaverse referred to as Atlas....similar to an Atlas we grew up with, but rather in VR...

The book is past (17th century), present 1940s to present day, and future (about 6 generations).....too much to type, but the future gives you an idea about learning and/or visiting places around the world whenever you feel like going...

My son got an Occulus for Xmas, and i have to say it is badass....not just the games, but you can literally buy tickets to live concerts around the world (and sporting events) and attend live in VR...if you have ever done it live and then VR, it is wild...

Thats my take on Metaverse.....i don't really understand the business side of it, other than its like selling advertising.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Sounds like an online dating site for nerds in virtual reality glasses that have lost touch w/ the real world. Like Facebook, I believe I'll pass and just hang out w/ real people w/ real issues like 6Packers.

Spot on. The spark for FB was Zucks getting dumped by a girl. Nothing has changed in almost 20 years

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login