OT: MHSAA Reclassifications

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
At the state AD conference this week there was discussion of making a 7A classification. From my understanding, if passed, the top 24 6A schools would move up to 7A. I’m not sure how they would restructure the cutoffs below that though.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
What does this have to do with Jackson Prep playing West Point?

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
At the state AD conference this week there was discussion of making a 7A classification. From my understanding, if passed, the top 24 6A schools would move up to 7A. I’m not sure how they would restructure the cutoffs below that though.

I think this will end up happening. It actually helps shape out the 1A gap. Right now there are schools competing with schools that are 3x their size.

New 7A would be four six team regions

Tupelo
Desoto Central
Southaven
Hernando
Horn Lake
Lewisburg

Oxford
Starkville
Madison Central
Germantown
Clinton
Murrah

Meridian
Northwest Rankin
Brandon
Terry
Warren Central
Oak Grove

Ocean Springs
Gulfport
Biloxi
Harrison Central
Hancock
D'Iberville

6A would be 32 teams.

St. Martin, South Panola, Petal, Pearl, Olive Branch, Pascagoula, Grenada, Center Hill would join the 24 largest 5A schools (West Harrison- Canton)

5A would be 32 teams with the lowest 8 5A schools (Cleveland to Laurel) and the 24 largest 4A schools (Stone to Poplarville)

4A would be 32 teams with the lowest 8 4A schools (Mooreville-Quitman) and the 24 largest 3A schools (Amory to St. Andrew's)

3A would be 32 teams with the lowest 3A schools (Raleigh-Perry Central) and the 24 largest 2A schools (Coahoma-East Marion)

2A would be 24 teams with the remaining 2A schools and the 16 largest 1A schools (Bay Springs-Hickory Flat)

The remaining 1A schools would be the 27 smallest schools in the state (20 football playing).

2A -7A would be a 16-team playoff with the top four in each region qualifying.
1A would move to an 8-team playoff with top 2 in each region qualifying.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Shifting 1A that way makes a lot of sense since the old 1A regions have been brutal looking.

Some of them still may still be a bit ugly but at least the 1A schools get more opportunities to play local non-region games.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Shifting 1A that way makes a lot of sense since the old 1A regions have been brutal looking.

Some of them still may still be a bit ugly but at least the 1A schools get more opportunities to play local non-region games.

They'll also get their brains beat in in 2A minus a couple schools that would move up. Outside about 5 schools in 1A, it's pretty pitiful

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Is this your guess about how they structure, because I heard different. And if it is, I selfishly hate it.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
That's just plain stupid. We have too many classes now. Why don't we just declare everyone a state champion and just play a regular season.

Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
They'll also get their brains beat in in 2A minus a couple schools that would move up. Outside about 5 schools in 1A, it's pretty pitiful
Depends on the sport… there is some decent basketball, baseball, softball and cross country teams in 1A.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That’s more often than not the case for 1A football.

Stringer won three consecutive 1A titles from 1990 - 92 and had a record of 40-3. All three losses were to Taylorsville and they were outscored 96-20.

But the Red Devils also beat West Jones 24-0 in ‘92.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Welcome to the MAISification of the MHSAA. **

Next steps: Power point systems and wild cards. **

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012

Stringer won three consecutive 1A titles from 1990 - 92 and had a record of 40-3. All three losses were to Taylorsville and they were outscored 96-20.

West was awful back then. They lost to everybody. But imagine Stringer playing in 2A then and never winning anything. Bay Springs was the 2nd best in 2A this year if they had been in 2A. After that, Simmons was about it. Rest wasn't good. And 2A was pretty bad too.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, is this your guess or ....????

Because Lewisburg is in bottom of 6A now by population. They need to stay 6A.

Last edited:

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
I can assure you if Pearl had known this was a possibility down the road, they would have never approved student residents in the annexed areas closer to Brandon to have the option to attend Brandon High School or Pearl High School.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013

To be fair, Doug Merchant had just become Taylorsville head coach in 1990 and they won their district all three years you quoted, with winning a state championship themselves in 91. Not to mention they beat most everyone else in their schedule in the fashion they beat Stringer in 91 and 92. Both of these teams would have beaten most other teams around the state if they had played them regardless of classification.

Also if note, during that stretch, stringer also won 3 consecutive baseball state championships. In one class, I know they had 2 guys that ended up starting at Southern Miss with one being the quarterback. They had 2 other guys with division 1 talent that didn’t get to play at that level because of grades ect, with one being the best running back in the state- jj thigpin. They might have had another player or two that played at jones that I’m not aware of. I’m not from there I just remember that era from afar.
To point out just how unique and special that class of athletes was for a 1A school, look at there recorded the year after they left in 1993. They only won 2 games that year and only averaged 7 points on offense while giving up an average of 37 points for the season.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Heath Graham was the QB in question and he later transferred to Southeast Missouri State. Lytrel Pollard was a starting linebacker and led the Eagles in tackles.

And you're right about the baseball team winning three consecutive titles. Brannon Wade (R.I.P.) played catcher (I think) for the Red Devils and then played at Jones.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That's just plain stupid. We have too many classes now. Why don't we just declare everyone a state champion and just play a regular season.

Seven classifications seems like too many, but it also sucks to have too big of a spread in enrollment within a classification.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
West was awful back then. They lost to everybody. But imagine Stringer playing in 2A then and never winning anything. Bay Springs was the 2nd best in 2A this year if they had been in 2A. After that, Simmons was about it. Rest wasn't good. And 2A was pretty bad too.

That was the first game of the season in 92. West jones went on to finish 6-5 and 3rd in their district at the time. Far from awful or losing to everybody.

Again, I’d like to highlight who was the best player for stringer during that era. Without question, and he was the best running back in the state- JJ Thigpin. He’s one of those greats that nobody’s heard of for various reasons.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login