Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
Magic Trick GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
What are the packs thought on mr. Biden changing the name of several military bases? Present names relate to the civil war. Just shake my head at political correctness.
Totally agree with you, it was well past time to get beyond the political correctness of earlier generations who gave out participation trophies to those who took up arms against the United States.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
View attachment 338021

Also this is from january, so not sure why the OP posted it in May
What will this innocent name change cost the taxpayer? Without that info, I can’t decide if I’m for or against. A fun exercise could be a poll of Americans to see how many can name the Confederate namesake. I bet less than 1% could match even one base to a person. Heck, poll White House residents or the Senate. That would be a real hoot.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Dumb question, I'm sure, but didn't the Federal Government name all these forts commemorating these Confederate Generals?

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
What are the packs thought on mr. Biden changing the name of several military bases? Present names relate to the civil war. Just shake my head at political correctness.
Ya think they will have a renaming ceremony for each one? If they do, I would love to see a picture of the official participants.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Honestly I didn’t know half of those were named after confederate soldiers.
Same here. I don't see any problem with these name changes.

I didn't like the toppling of the statues, or at least, the way we went about it in a mob-like way. However, had things been done correctly back in the day, then it wouldn't have been necessary.

These type things really are sad at the end of the day, in my mind. Things are taken as disrespect, etc. People gonna people. I obviously wasn't alive in 1860, so I cannot judge but I also don't understand how politics caused these break-ups of families and caused people to take up arms in the name of these things. I don't know why our newest adult generation decided to beat each other in the streets in 2020 over what that was all about. Maybe if people would use their God-given brains more, but I recognize that's too much to expect.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yes. It was en vogue for quite a while to honor the confederacy, then subsequently nothing was done about the fort names, statues, etc. Some decent background here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy
This is essentially what we were all taught when I was a kid & of course I believed it. We’re not suppressing history by renaming these bases. The whole lost cause whitewashing was suppressing & rewriting history.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I could care less, but I dont think it is much. I could barely care less.

Are all the people having bases named after them good people? If so, cool I guess. I dont think having something named after a person means the name will never change and it stays that name in perpetuity.
I also dont think its necessary or beneficial to frequently change the name. But changing it every half century or more? Sure, why the 17 not?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.
That quote is really only from 1905? Huh, learned something.

As for the point you are trying to make, in a profound yet feeble way, the point sucks.
We dont need to forever keep literally everything up to not forget something from the past. Also, what of the past will be repeated if these bases are renamed? <--genuinely curious to hear.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Only a matter of time before Stephen D. Lee statue is removed from the drill field. Even though it is there because of him being the first president of the university, that will be overshadowed by his being a Confederate general. There was an attempt that was shall we say halted at least temporarily, but "it" is coming eventually

tbaydog

Feb 25, 2008
What will this innocent name change cost the taxpayer? Without that info, I can’t decide if I’m for or against. A fun exercise could be a poll of Americans to see how many can name the Confederate namesake. I bet less than 1% could match even one base to a person. Heck, poll White House residents or the Senate. That would be a real hoot.
When in the hell has our government worried bout Cost?

Reactions: WilCoDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is essentially what we were all taught when I was a kid & of course I believed it. We’re not suppressing history by renaming these bases. The whole lost cause whitewashing was suppressing & rewriting history.
It was about slavery, no doubt. But not in some moral way, at least among the decision makers. The South wanted to preserve that economic gravy train, and the North didn't like that.

And of course, it was the middle and lower classes out fighting this greed battle while being brainwashed with morality.

It's sad.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Only a matter of time before Stephen D. Lee statue is removed from the drill field. Even though it is there because of him being the first president of the university, that will be overshadowed by his being a Confederate general. There was an attempt that was shall we say halted at least temporarily, but "it" is coming eventually
I'd not really thought of it before you mentioned it, so I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to see the statue moved. And I don't think it's goign to happen any time soon. But I also frankly would have zero qualms about moving it to a less prominent part of campus

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Probably right. No harm in him being there as long as it's in University context and not in praise of his confederate service. A reasonable compromise would be removing the CSA reference and leave him there with the President reference. But people don't like to be reasonable any longer so I'm sure he will be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login