OT: Military Service records

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
As Veteran's Day approaches, I have become insanely curious about the very specific things my grandfather saw in WW2. He served on the USS West Virginia in the Pacific Theater in WW2. Legend has it that his ship was in the waters surrounding Iwo Jima when we took the island, as well as his ship was in the surrounding waters of the USS Missouri when the surrender ceremonies occurred. I would love to find some kind of historical archive that can confirm exactly where the USS West Virginia was during these events, as well as the other things that it did.

Does anyone know of a good historical archive of those types of things?

Also, Happy Vets Day to all of those who served. As we approach elections tomorrow, I am forever grateful for the right to vote out the clowns that are currently running our ****-show. And hopefully, the folks we elect don't continue the partisan nonsense and actually govern for the people, instead of for themselves (won't hold my breath, though).

ETA: I have read the wikipedia article on the USS West Virginia. And yes, my grandfather was there when it was hit by a kamikaze that did kill four members, but luckily not him. He was actually the boxing champion on that ship. I only knew him until I was 14 when he passed, but he certainly had a hard nosed attitude and I could see him knocking the **** out of people for fun.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
A BIG thanks to all the Veterans every where. No matter when or where you served, your sacrifice is appreciated. My grandfather was in the group that landed in Sicily and marched up through Italy. He weighed about 140 lbs. and carried a 50 lb. radio. He never would talk about what he saw or had to do unless he had had a drink. It was pretty bad

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
As Veteran's Day approaches, I have become insanely curious about the very specific things my grandfather saw in WW2. He served on the USS West Virginia in the Pacific Theater in WW2. Legend has it that his ship was in the waters surrounding Iwo Jima when we took the island, as well as his ship was in the surrounding waters of the USS Missouri when the surrender ceremonies occurred. I would love to find some kind of historical archive that can confirm exactly where the USS West Virginia was during these events, as well as the other things that it did.

Also, Happy Vets Day to all of those who served. As we approach elections tomorrow, I am forever grateful for the right to vote out the clowns that are currently running our ****-show. And hopefully, the folks we elect don't continue the partisan nonsense and actually govern for the people, instead of for themselves (won't hold my breath, though).

ETA: I have read the wikipedia article on the USS West Virginia. And yes, my grandfather was there when it was hit by a kamikaze that did kill four members, but luckily not him. He was actually the boxing champion on that ship. I only knew him until I was 14 when he passed, but he certainly had a hard nosed attitude and I could see him knocking the **** out of people for fun.
Check with Tommy Lofton, Director of Mississippi Armed Forces Museum, located at Camp Shelby. Mississippi Armed Forces Museum - Mississippi Armed Forces Museum (msarmedforcesmuseum.org)
If he can't help he will probably have someone he knows who can. He worked at WWII in New Orleans previously.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012

That is the link to request service records from the govt. You may or may not have success with that due to a fire that destroyed a lot of WWII service records.

Having been down this road with my grandfather, their should be unit history websites or survivors organizations like this: https://www.usswestvirginia.org/ that can have info available.

I was lucky - I had unit histories that were published right after WWII that my grandfather had. From that I could narrow a lot of things down.
Now, thanks to the web and people publishing after action reports, I know where his unit was just about anywhere post-D-Day.
I haven't done any Navy or Pacific research so I don't know as much about those resources.

Someday, I hope to compile a history of my Grandfather and his brothers. He and 5 brothers all served in WWII and I heard some real interesting stories growing up.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I was able to get my Dad’s records from his time in Vietnam and his medals years ago after he died. I can’t remember specifically, but it was a federal agency that you should be able to Google to look up. Seems like I had to fill out some paperwork and send in. Took several months to get the information and medals, but it was free.

Reactions: missouridawg

woozman

Nov 13, 2004

That is the link to request service records from the govt. You may or may not have success with that due to a fire that destroyed a lot of WWII service records.

Having been down this road with my grandfather, their should be unit history websites or survivors organizations like this: https://www.usswestvirginia.org/ that can have info available.

I was lucky - I had unit histories that were published right after WWII that my grandfather had. From that I could narrow a lot of things down.
Now, thanks to the web and people publishing after action reports, I know where his unit was just about anywhere post-D-Day.
I haven't done any Navy or Pacific research so I don't know as much about those resources.

Someday, I hope to compile a history of my Grandfather and his brothers. He and 5 brothers all served in WWII and I heard some real interesting stories growing up.
Should have read this before I posted…

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
As long as he was discharged before 1960, you should be able to request the records from the NPRC in St Louis. If he served past 1960 you will have to be his next of kin (so one of your parents/aunts/uncles will have to make the request.)

I have no idea if anything you will get actually state the boats and dates he served on though. My father was a navy man and I have all of his records. He spent most of is career as a naval airman, but from 71'-75' he was on boats. There is no mention of any ships or ports he hit during his first few years in the records I have, but I do know he deployed to Vietnam in 72' on the USS Dennis Buckley because he told me.

There's a ton of information about the exploits of that ship on a website created by one of its former crew I am guessing. They must have found the logbooks. You can see when they were in the Philippines at port and when they were running fire support in Vietnam and everything else.

I'm sure if you can find the dates he was on the West Virginia there's a similar site where someone has done all the research for you. You just need to know when he was on the ship.

ETA. Here's the site for the USS West Virginia. Tons of info on when and where she was. Also a database of 3800 sailors that served on it.

https://www.usswestvirginia.org/

Last edited:
Reactions: aTotal360

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012

Here's a link to the National Archives that may be able to get his military records or DD214.

Reactions: missouridawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Also, try Fold3, Ancestry's military site, there is a free trail and sometimes if it free around veterans day.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
A BIG thanks to all the Veterans every where. No matter when or where you served, your sacrifice is appreciated. My grandfather was in the group that landed in Sicily and marched up through Italy. He weighed about 140 lbs. and carried a 50 lb. radio. He never would talk about what he saw or had to do unless he had had a drink. It was pretty bad
I've always thought the Italian Campaign didn't receive enough recognition or whatever you wanna call it. Lot's of casualties, heroics and bravery. Bob Doyle received a permanent injury there and so did James Arness (Matt Dillon, Gunsmoke). I still watch Gunsmoke re-runs and you can notice his limp and those episodes were often times delayed due to James having to rest on the set. He was always in pain.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

There are severall books that have been published on BB 48. Unfortunately, it looks like they are hard to find. Check with some libraries or specialty out of print bookshops.

USS West Virginia (Limited): Martin, Robert J.: 9781563113413: Amazon.com: Books

Mountaineer Battlewagon: U.S.S. West Virginia (BB-48): Smith Jr., Myron J: 9780933126169: Amazon.com: Books This one is in stock

The Mountain State Battleship USS West Virginia: Myron J. Smith: 9780615357218: Amazon.com: Books

This looks like a great website for it. Welcome to the website for the Battleship USS West Virginia

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
There are severall books that have been published on BB 48. Unfortunately, it looks like they are hard to find. Check with some libraries or specialty out of print bookshops.

USS West Virginia (Limited): Martin, Robert J.: 9781563113413: Amazon.com: Books

Mountaineer Battlewagon: U.S.S. West Virginia (BB-48): Smith Jr., Myron J: 9780933126169: Amazon.com: Books This one is in stock

The Mountain State Battleship USS West Virginia: Myron J. Smith: 9780615357218: Amazon.com: Books

This looks like a great website for it. Welcome to the website for the Battleship USS West Virginia

See his name on that last link you posted was really, really, really cool. Thank you for sharing those links! I will have to put together a short bio for him so they can add it to the site.

Reactions: STATEgrad04
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login