OT: Mississippi’s first Buc-ee’s will dwarf Alabama locations

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The excitement of a Buc-ees opening somewhere in 2023 has the exact same energy of a Wal-Mart Supercenter opening in the late 90's. I remember people taking pride in who's town had the bigger Supercenter.... Poor West Point with that regular Wal-Mart. It must have been the last one in the country.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
The excitement of a Buc-ees opening somewhere in 2023 has the exact same energy of a Wal-Mart Supercenter opening in the late 90's. I remember people taking pride in who's town had the bigger Supercenter.... Poor West Point with that regular Wal-Mart. It must have been the last one in the country.
Talassee, Alabama just got a super Wal-Mart IIRC 5 years ago.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't understand the fascination. Short of a Dumb&Dumber issue, I absolutely will not stop at the one at I-10 and Gulf Shores expressway. That ingress/egress "plan" has to be one of the worst civil engineering failures in recent history. You can get trapped in the parking lot for a couple of hours in busy season, in line, just waiting to turn left towards I-10.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yeah, but what was amazing about it was it always had copies of NCAA football on release day. I probably bought it from there 4 times when nobody in Starkville had it. Including once buying a PS2 because 2002 was exclusive to it.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I don't understand the fascination. Short of a Dumb&Dumber issue, I absolutely will not stop at the one at I-10 and Gulf Shores expressway. That ingress/egress "plan" has to be one of the worst civil engineering failures in recent history. You can get trapped in the parking lot for a couple of hours in busy season, in line, just waiting to turn left towards I-10.
Buc-ees was just a regular gas station around Houston forever. They then decided to take a bet on rubes turning gas stations into destinations.
If Buc-ees goes in somewhere, it's a sure sign their analytics teams have decided a bunch of rednecks are coming through the area.

I took this photo the other day in Giddings TX. This is what Buc-ees was forever. 4000sf and 8-10 islands. You could get in and out in 5 minutes. It's more like Dollywood or something now
PXL_20230630_173701158_copy_2016x1134.jpg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I don’t think I’ve ever gone during the tourist season but I’ve never had that problem. When it first opened up nobody would go to the second entrance so you could cruise to it and get to a pump or parking place easily. We stopped in March and that was no longer the case.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Buc-ees was just a regular gas station around Houston forever. They then decided to take a bet on rubes turning gas stations into destinations.
If Buc-ees goes in somewhere, it's a sure sign their analytics teams have decided a bunch of rednecks are coming through the area.

I took this photo the other day in Giddings TX. This is what Buc-ees was forever. 4000sf and 8-10 islands. You could get in and out in 5 minutes. It's more like Dollywood or something now
I just like the burritos. It's funny, the ones in TX, you can generally get in and out of reasonably quickly. I stopped at the one in Houston on I-10 and was in and out in a matter of minutes.

Of course, you have to remember, the one in Baldwin County is TRULY going to attract the idiots....the beach-going idiots too. That is redneck haven.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don’t think I’ve ever gone during the tourist season but I’ve never had that problem. When it first opened up nobody would go to the second entrance so you could cruise to it and get to a pump or parking place easily. We stopped in March and that was no longer the case.
I have never stopped. The reason is that a friend of mine hit it on the way home from the beach to get gas and let the mom breastfeed the 3 month old. They did that, got in the car to leave, and had to feed the baby a second time while in line to leave the parking lot. That was enough for me to never try it. Perhaps it is a harsh assessment, but I've passed it taking that exit heading south and it was pretty backed up then as well, so I didn't even consider stopping, even though I would only need to get right. Looked daunting..

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I have never stopped. The reason is that a friend of mine hit it on the way home from the beach to get gas and let the mom breastfeed the 3 month old. They did that, got in the car to leave, and had to feed the baby a second time while in line to leave the parking lot. That was enough for me to never try it. Perhaps it is a harsh assessment, but I've passed it taking that exit heading south and it was pretty backed up then as well, so I didn't even consider stopping, even though I would only need to get right. Looked daunting..
I've passed it dozens of times but the only time I've ever stopped was on weekday morning, in and out in no time. Never stop on the weekends or a lot of weekday afternoons it can get backed up.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
True Detective Time GIF

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022

View attachment 363447
That is how I remembered Buck-ees. I stopped at one on a road trip because I heard the food was good, but there was nothing special going on.

Twenty years later, my relatives are bragging on FB about stopping at this or that Buc-ees and I had no idea it had become a "thing".

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Y'all see how much they pay? It's pretty impressive all things considered. If the market doesn't go the way I want it to, I might have to sign up for 10-15 hours a week in retirement for some walking around money or gas for the boat. I'll sling a brisket sammich for 20 bucks an hour

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
The hometown of my youth in southeast Arkansas (arm pit of the world) still has a regular walmart.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Buc-ees is a perfect way to ruin a good exit.

I don't get the hype. The food is average at best. It's like a Dollar General Super Center.

The bathrooms are probably the best part.
We pass at peak hours. I hate crowds. I think it's a great way to break up a trip though if you hit it at off peak hours. It's also really handy when you are pulling a trailer with all the stalls and parking spots they have there.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
The one on I-35 in Denton,TX doesn't seem to have a traffic issue most days but can get to be a mad house sometimes. We stopped there shortly after it opened just to see what the big deal was. Needless to say, we didn't go back. Just a big souvenir shop nothing special.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
The one near Birmingham has been an easy in/out the few times I have stopped. I just stopped at the new one near Knoxville at the Pigeon Forge exit and it was a crowded hell scape. Did not even go inside myself because there were not any open parking spots. Just bought gas and circled the parking lot until the family could bring out a few BBQ sandwiches and got the heck out of there.

DawginEthel

Jan 2, 2023
Stopped at one in Alabama. I don't see the big deal Doesn't do anything for me.

Seems like a Stuckey's on steroids.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Not paying homage to the Great Beaver is worthy of the banhammer 🔨

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Buc-ees is a perfect way to ruin a good exit.

I don't get the hype. The food is average at best. It's like a Dollar General Super Center.

The bathrooms are probably the best part.
I’ve been by one that seemed the exit was built specifically for the bucees. I’m assuming the exit was already there but nothing else. Kind of out away from anything

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I’ve been by one that seemed the exit was built specifically for the bucees. I’m assuming the exit was already there but nothing else. Kind of out away from anything
Yes they have to widen highways and build extra ramp roads every time. It's part of the agreement

Reactions: kired

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
Passed the Baldwin County Bucees today about 10am. I wouldn't have waited in that long *** line if everything in there was free. Bumper to bumper about a half mile both directions.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
That’s just #bamaroads. It’s comical how cosmically superior the roads are in MS compared to most of the surrounding states. Not to mention the size of our Buccee’s!!

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I am a Mississippi Buc’ces denier. I will believe the Mississippi Gulf Coast has a Buc’ces when I am eating a frito pie burrito in its parking lot. They are paying $15-20/hour for unskilled labor. No small business in Harrison or Hancock County would let it happen.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I just like the burritos. It's funny, the ones in TX, you can generally get in and out of reasonably quickly. I stopped at the one in Houston on I-10 and was in and out in a matter of minutes.

Of course, you have to remember, the one in Baldwin County is TRULY going to attract the idiots....the beach-going idiots too. That is redneck haven.
Call us rednecks. We stop in Baldwin County Bucees going and coming on vacation . We love that place

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I am a Mississippi Buc’ces denier. I will believe the Mississippi Gulf Coast has a Buc’ces when I am eating a frito pie burrito in its parking lot. They are paying $15-20/hour for unskilled labor. No small business in Harrison or Hancock County would let it happen.
Be interesting to see whether they try that pay scale but $15 an hour for unskilled labor isn’t really crazy anymore. I suspect a lot of other gas station and fast food establishments are going to have to up the pay for their better workers, but based on my limited experience, I’m not sure bucees will hire your average gas station attendant or fast food worker.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
That’s just #bamaroads. It’s comical how cosmically superior the roads are in MS compared to most of the surrounding states. Not to mention the size of our Buccee’s!!
The roads in Alabama here do suck. When I was going to State I would leave home and drive to Tuscaloosa and take 82. 82 in Alabama was a bumfuck *** country two lane backroad. But as soon as I hit Mississippi it opened up and practically became an interstate.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The roads in Alabama here do suck. When I was going to State I would leave home and drive to Tuscaloosa and take 82. 82 in Alabama was a bumfuck *** country two lane backroad. But as soon as I hit Mississippi it opened up and practically became an interstate.
And it hasn’t change one damned bit. You still have to go through Reform where the road is barely wide enough for two cars to meet. US Hwy 45 is four lane all the way from Chicago Il to the Alabama line south of Buckatunna Ms and then you have 50 miles of two lanes of hills and curves with no where to pass. I actually know an engineer with AlDot in south Alabama and he said that they did a traffic study on 45. They recorded traffic for a Wednesday and Thursday in February and based on the traffic those two days determined that there wasn’t sufficient traffic to warrant four lanes.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
And it hasn’t change one damned bit. You still have to go through Reform where the road is barely wide enough for two cars to meet. US Hwy 45 is four lane all the way from Chicago Il to the Alabama line south of Buckatunna Ms and then you have 50 miles of two lanes of hills and curves with no where to pass. I actually know an engineer with AlDot in south Alabama and he said that they did a traffic study on 45. They recorded traffic for a Wednesday and Thursday in February and based on the traffic those two days determined that there wasn’t sufficient traffic to warrant four lanes.
That's the Auburn engineering school for ya.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

That's my train of thought these days having left Mississippi 27 years ago for city life. Having a 24/7 Qwik Trip and a big azz Kroger deli near by is by far more important to me these days than a Buckees. I prolly couldn't manage quiet country life anymore.

Reactions: patdog

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
They are paying $15-20/hour for unskilled labor. No small business in Harrison or Hancock County would let it happen.
Buccee's does not hire anyone with visible tattoos, body piercings, or unnatural hair colors. Add in no smoking/vaping on the property, no cell phones allowed, and actually having to work for 8 hours. Most of the unskilled labor in the area is not getting a job at Buccee's or probably wouldn't last a week if they were hired.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login