OT- Mississippi Mosquitoes

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
So it was 23 degrees yesterday morning at daylight and a day later I was getting buzzed by mosquitoes this afternoon. Them suckers are tough. How do they survive?

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Tying this to the Wisconsin thread, on one of our Oshkosh trips a couple of Cajun guys were staying at the house we were at. One day after the air show we were all sitting around in the backyard relaxing with adult beverages and skeeters were everywhere. One of the Cajuns commented to his buddy in an Orgeron accent "I swear the skeeters up here are worse than they are back home". The other one slapped one on his arm and said "Yeah but they sho is slow though"

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They have huge mosquitoes in Minnesota. We visited some friends several years ago and we went to their county fair in mid August and they were tearing my arse up. And when they bit it hurt.

Mosquitoes don’t bother me too much but those up there were ready to carry me off n

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Tying this to the Wisconsin thread, on one of our Oshkosh trips a couple of Cajun guys were staying at the house we were at. One day after the air show we were all sitting around in the backyard relaxing with adult beverages and skeeters were everywhere. One of the Cajuns commented to his buddy in an Orgeron accent "I swear the skeeters up here are worse than they are back home". The other one slapped one on his arm and said "Yeah but they sho is slow though"
Oshkosh should be on everyones bucket list. I went two years ago. Even if you’re not an aviation buff go just for one of the fireworks shows. Oshkosh fireworks make’s Disney fireworks look small.

Reactions: dorndawg

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Mosquitos in Washington state have paint jobs with title and registration. I have personally witness them biting through sleeping bags.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Reactions: dorndawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Fun mosquito facts, in case anyone didnt know-

- only female mosquitos bite/draw blood. They need protein for egg development.
- male mosquitos dont transmit diseases to humans since they arent biting/drawing blood.
- males feed on flower nectar and fruit juices. So do females.
- 50deg or lower is when mosquitos hibernate or die(depending on M or F and other factors). Yes, some can be active under 50deg, it just more so the exception.
- male mosquitos basically die come winter since their life is short, its cold, and they dont get food. Female mosquitos hibernate and stay with eggs thru the winter.
- the longer warm seasons we are experiencing are good for mosquitos and bad for humans since it means more disease transmission, especially in climates that historically werent as hospitable to mosquitos.
- with longer recent warm seasons has come drier seasons in many parts of the US. That has helped keep mosquito populations down, despite the longer active seasons.

I finally used something I learned in college.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007

- male mosquitos dont transmit diseases to humans since they arent biting/drawing blood.
- 50deg or lower is when mosquitos hibernate or die(depending on M or F and other factors). Yes, some can be active under 50deg, it just more so the exception.
- male mosquitos basically die come winter since their life is short, its cold, and they dont get food. Female mosquitos hibernate and stay with eggs thru the winter.
- the longer warm seasons we are experiencing are good for mosquitos and bad for humans since it means more disease transmission, especially in climates that historically werent as hospitable to mosquitos.
- with longer recent warm seasons has come drier seasons in many parts of the US. That has helped keep mosquito populations down, despite the longer active seasons.

When I needed a few hours one semester I was provided a correspondence course with a bunch of other student-athletes about Vector Borne Diseases and learned a bunch of stuff like that.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
As others have alluded to, deep freezes don't kill them. They have them bad way up in Canada, even.

It's been suggested that via malaria, mosquitoes have killed a large percentage of all the humans who have ever lived. https://www.realclearscience.com/bl...y_killed_half_of_everyone_who_ever_lived.html
Those bastards gave me the West Nile virus several years ago back when it was all the rage. It killed some folks. But the Bulldog gods kept me going so I could suffer through years like this past one. ;)

Reactions: HRMSU and dorndawg

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
I read the title and thought Miss was getting a G-league team.
You’re on the right track. I can see it now.
Double a baseball
the rocket city trash pandas vs the Mississippi Mosquitos. Now we just need somebody to use the mole and the deer as a mascot.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I haven't had a mosquito at my house in years and years.

It's simple. Fog your shrubbery twice a year with Talstar and you won't either.

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
Grew up in the Arkansas delta less than a mile from the levee.

Mosquitos were so big they could 17 a turkey standing flat footed.

• Haha
Reactions: HRMSU

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008

Heartworms in dogs are spread by mosquitos. And if your wife fails to give her dog preventative medicine regularly you, and your dog, are in for a rough time.

Reactions: tyroid

USAFAMMO

Oct 13, 2012
Heartworms in dogs are spread by mosquitos. And if your wife fails to give her dog preventative medicine regularly you, and your dog, are in for a rough time.
As bad as the skeeters are here in AK, we don’t have heartworms.

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
The only thing good about a severe drought. I have only seen one mosquito the entire summer long here in Hinds county. That was back in July. I think. Haven’t seen or heard one to this day.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The only thing good about a severe drought. I have only seen one mosquito the entire summer long here in Hinds county. That was back in July. I think. Haven’t seen or heard one to this day.
You are correct on the lack of mosquitoes but the biting flies and some kinda large black gnat have been murder in NE Ms this summer. It got so bad at one time that I would wear a full face shield while mowing the yard just to keep the gnats out of my eyes and mouth.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I haven't had a mosquito at my house in years and years.

It's simple. Fog your shrubbery twice a year with Talstar and you won't either.
That stuff looks pretty potent and excellent reviews. Do you just use a pump sprayer?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Ironic to this thread, I got tore up last night by 6 Vicious Mosquitoes. Don't think it's West Nile, malaria, or heartworms... But I do have a headache for some reason.

1000012278.jpg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Grew up in the Arkansas delta less than a mile from the levee.

Mosquitos were so big they could 17 a turkey standing flat footed.
Growing up in the delta you knew 30 minutes before dark you better be ready to head inside. I remember before bed every night my dad would go through the house with a can of Raid because if he didn’t they’d be buzzing your ears in the middle of the night.

Now that I live in Hernando I never see mosquitoes or ones that bother me at least.

Reactions: Digging dog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
same in stankin rankin for the most part (and I live on the Rez). Drought had no impact on dragonflies though

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login