OT: Moab Vacation

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Looking to plan a trip to Moab around Spring Break (March 20-24th timeline.) Have to pickup an RV in Salt Lake and need somewhere thats not too cold and we have always heard great things. Kids are 4 and 8. Probably not ready for heavy biking in that kind of terrain so we are looking to bring our kayaks instead. Looks like the river is open in march for the milder rapids.

Anyhow, any must sees, must dos, or must eats?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I have nothing on the trip front. As an ex-COD player, I see MOAB and have thoughts of total domination and obliteration.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Arches is the obvious one, but I was only in Moab overnight, and the damn park was full and turning people away by 10am. Would plan to get in early if it’s looking busy. I was passing through end of March last year. We stayed at the Hoodoo and had a pretty good meal there and some cocktails before. It was a cool place, and I would’ve liked to check out other restaurants in town. Fairly small though. There was a food truck area right by the Hoodoo that had good options for lunch

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
What time of year were you there?

ETA.
Nevermind. You answered the question before I asked, just didn't read. I hope its not too busy. So far there is decent availability at RV parks so that's a good sign I guess.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That sounds like the scariest place on earth Rocket, but I trust your judgement... Will do.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I have nothing on the trip front. As an ex-COD player, I see MOAB and have thoughts of total domination and obliteration.
I thought of the Moab Burger at Hurlburt AFB bowling alley. It’s delicious.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
March/April/May are really the most popular months to visit Moab. If you can get into Arches, you should take the kids. Keep in mind that the popular arch sites (Delicate, Landscape, etc.), are significant distances with moderately challenging terrain. The 4 year old may be too young for it. The 8 year old will hate you before you get to Delicate. The hikes to Landscape and Double are awesome and the vistas are incredible. Dead Horse Point SP may be a good option as an alternative to Arches. Moab Diner has strong chili verde, but, hell, everything west of the Oklahoma panhandle has strong chili verde.

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
Arches and Canyonlands are great but you’ve got to go early. The have started timed entry so that may help. Right on the edge of Moab, on the way to the two Parks is Colorado Riverside Recreation Area. Here you’ll have great access to the Colorado River and bike paths.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Awesome great info.

Just looking on All Trails, Delicate is listed as about 3.1 miles out and back with 630' of elevation gain. Does that sound about right? If so it should be gravy for my crew.

A little unhumble bragging about my kids here. An experienced hiker like yourself might appreciate this. We did a lot of hiking this past summer and I just never looked at how far kids at certain ages are supposed to be able to go. We just packed a day bag and took breaks as needed. Our last hike of the season before the end of the summer was to Upper Hazard Lake in the Payette National Forrest. My youngest (3 at the time) made it with no sweat until right before we got back to the truck (At 7,000' of elevation to boot.) Here's that hike on All Trails and a picture of the little guy on the hike.

View attachment 23565

View attachment 23566

I honestly had no idea how big of a deal 5 miles was for a kid that age. Can't get the little turds to give a flip about football, but they are mountain goats when it comes to hiking. Figure we will do a couple of local snowshoeing adventures or something before the trip to get in shape.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Moab is a very fun place. Plenty of places to eat. I can't give you specifics but the entire strip is loaded with places. You can rent dune buggies, 4 wheelers, motorcycles. There are zip lines. I have been there several times. It's not too Mormonized. I am a Mormon. You will enjoy it. You do need to tour all the Parks. The Island in the sky is amazing.

Last edited:

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
Arches is pretty small so it does fill up fast, but it's no different than most other NP's in the West. Go early in the morning and in the middle of week and you can beat some of the crowd. Canyonlands is a bit bigger so you might have better luck there.

One place I like and want to get back to is Antelope Island SP. It's out in the Great Salt Lake and has wild buffalo. Probably wouldn't want to spend a week there though.

View attachment 23567 View attachment 23569

View attachment 23568

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have seen that photo 100's of times and never new it was Deadhorse Point. It sounds like 3 days or so will be plenty to hit everything.

Thanks.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Got one of the worst cases of montezumas revenge or a stomach bug there. I could recommend some bathrooms.

Don't recommend the McDonald's there. Or anywhere now but I was a college kid then and it was cheap.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I am a Mormon.

Now it makes sense. I knew you were in the Marine Corps. I knew you didn't drink. I couldn't get those two facts to jive until right now.**

Big Mormon population where I live now and a couple of my new friends are Mormon. They come over and never drink my boos... Its great.*

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If you are in an rv make a loop and go down to canyon land all the way down to page then loop back around by north rim Grand Canyon and then back up by Bryce and Zion on your way back to 15 to head back to salt lake. Lots to see on that loop

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I tried to make that work, but I don't think we will have time. Only have a little over a week or so without school for the kids. I am driving down to SLC early (450 miles from my house) to pickup the RV and they will fly down a few days after on the Friday school lets out. From there we will go to Moab for 3-4 days and then basically turn around and hit a few place on the way back. That's 1400 miles round trip and 950 with the RV and kids. If I add in the GC, Zion, and Bryce it takes the trip up to 2250 miles and 1800 with the RV and kids. Just too much driving in 8-9 days to enjoy it. We will hit those 3 on a different trip.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks for the info. It looks like the timed Entry is for the busy season which is from April until October, so we just have to get up early and beat the crowds I guess.

dawglurker

Jul 13, 2017
Recently relocated to SLC area...Definitely want to do the NPs. Summer crowds were filling Arches limit before 8:00 am. I know a few weeks ago you could get in with no crowds or wait. Not sure what spring break will be like... The hike to Delicate Arch is pretty straight forward, not a lot of gain in elevation and heavily used. Plenty of sights to see along the one road in the park... Canyonlands is super big. Multiple entry points to the park. From the north you'll pass Dead Horse (seen in the picture above) before making it to the NP. The view point for that river bend is at a parking lot. Mesa Arch is worth the short hike. The south side of Canyonlands is the Needles District which has some easy loop hikes with barely any elevation gain. Newspaper Rock is cool stop as well, further south down 211.... If you're tired of the red rocks, there are some greener (Aspens) mountains to venture into east of Moab.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah, y'all won't have any trouble with Arches. Pretty damn impressive at any age, but especially a 3-4 YO

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
The Moab area was overrun when I drove through early April on my way to MS and back two weeks later and packed again when I drove through in October. Get your RV spots reserved or plan out several alternate dry camping spots. Arches was backed up every time . Bryce Canyon area never really looked all that packed either time this year.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
The kids would like goblin state park. Capital reef is not bad. I don’t see 3-4 days in Moab. Two at most then take the kids to Bryce.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Good to know. I have actually narrowed it down to a few RV parks and there are still plenty of spots available. Probably going to book this week.

Also, been meaning to tell you... We're going to stop by your place for a few days on the way home. The wife and I are pretty comfortable in the RV, but if you don't mind putting the kids up...***

View attachment 23573

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
Good to know. I have actually narrowed it down to a few RV parks and there are still plenty of spots available. Probably going to book this week.

Also, been meaning to tell you... We're going to stop by your place for a few days on the way home. The wife and I are pretty comfortable in the RV, but if you don't mind putting the kids up...***

Just don't forget the rubber sheets and gerbils

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Moab is great. Poison Spider Bike Shop is a great resource for stuff to do. I wouldn’t rule out biking completely. A lot of trails other than slick rock are family-friendly.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I may repeat some stuff that's been said, but we went there last summer and it was pretty awesome.
Must do :
We camped at Dead Horse Campground and I didn't even realize that classic U-shaped-river sunset pic was taken there before we booked. You have to go there - get there about an hour before sunset for a good spot (both parking spot and viewing spot).
Canyonlands : The short hike to Mesa Arch is well worth the time. It's about a mile round-trip, and it was the screen-saver on my work laptop for about a year after I took it. You can google it, it's sort of a big deal.
Arches : There are 3 views of Delicate Arch. There is the long one (which I regretfully didn't do, more on that later). The short one (for grandparents with walking canes). And there is another that's about half a mile, does have some vertical, but that is also worth the extra effort. This trail is right next to the short hike and I'm glad I did it - it's not a lot closer distance-wise but i thought the view was better and your kids can climb around a little.

Lessons :
Arches : I've been there twice, and did Landscape arch as the first hike - which was awesome - but it does take a while, and the kids got worn out on the 1st hike and didn't do much else, so no Delicate arch super-hike.
If I had it to do over, I'd hike to Delicate arch. I figure the hike is similar to Enchanted Rock, so very doable for an ex-Texan (assuming you've been there).
If you do Landscape Arch, it's in an area called the Devils Playground (I think) and there are 2-3 really cool arches if you take a right , on the way to Landscape. One is called pine-something I think. You can go there and stand right under the arch. It's not well traveled, despite how accessible it is, and I really thought it was cool.
So - the reason the kids were beat down, is we did a mountain bike ride the day before, and we learned that we are NOT a mountain biking family. We went to some area that was about 1-2 miles past Arches, and they have a paved trail that you can take from the mountain bike area back into town. It's about 7 miles, and it's mostly downhill, until the last mile where we had construction and city traffic, and it really sucked. No idea if they still have construction. Also my daughter got freaked by the speed of biking down 6 miles of downhill, but my son loved it. If you ARE a biking family, it was cool, but I don't think we will be doing it again.

Also - parking gets crazy. We drove right to Devils Playground for an early hike (it was in the summer) and tried to see stuff at the front of the park just after lunch, and couldn't find spots to park. I have read that it clears out by late afternoon, but we were back at the campsite by then.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login