OT: Mosquitoes

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Best advice for dealing with them? We just moved into a new house in late May and have had a tough time with them. Can’t do anything in our back yard without getting bites all over. We aren’t far from a pond so that doesn’t help. Tried some of the basic things (fogger spray, scented candles, etc) but wanting to try something a little more intensive.

Ers236

Oct 5, 2023
Have heard mixed reviews on the Spartan tubes. Some people say they worked one year and then some said they didn't work the next. Hang them on tree limbs about 80ft from where your activity is. Was going to get some myself and see what the fuss is about

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We get sprayed every three weeks (with mosquito nutrients I'm beginning to believe ) and I'm headed to the store this morning to try to get something to at least make our back porch useable. I'll be interested to hear your replies.

Reactions: eckie1

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I started a thread about this a few weeks ago. From that thread, I got some Bifenthrin and the Mosquito Sniper, which connects to my blower. I have sprayed twice and it has helped but they are still bad. I have a swarm of 3 to 4 dozen at my front day every morning at daylight before the sun comes up. I live in Madison and apparently, the city has quit spraying. I am told that people on Facebook have been complaining.

Ers236

Oct 5, 2023
I started a thread about this a few weeks ago. From that thread, I got some Bifenthrin and the Mosquito Sniper, which connects to my blower. I have sprayed twice and it has helped but they are still bad. I have a swarm of 3 to 4 dozen at my front day every morning at daylight before the sun comes up. I live in Madison and apparently, the city has quit spraying. I am told that people on Facebook have been complaining.
I live in Flowood and saw the mosquito truck once. Theyre horrible here too

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
One thing I’ve noticed since I quit drinking is I never get bit anymore. I live in Mobile and have always been the one who gets torn up from bites. Quit drinking 11 months ago and can now be outside and not have to put repellent on. I guess alcohol coming through the pores attracts them.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Most folks probably already know this, but if you can have fans going on your porch/deck/whatever that really helps more than anything I've come across. It really doesn't take much breeze either.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Have heard mixed reviews on the Spartan tubes. Some people say they worked one year and then some said they didn't work the next. Hang them on tree limbs about 80ft from where your activity is. Was going to get some myself and see what the fuss is about
The guy that started Spartan sold out a few years ago. The new company cut the Spartans from 90 days effective to 30 days for the same price. The original guy started a new company called AIOM and he sells either a 30 day version and a 90 day version. They do work for me but I’ve learned the four tubes work a lot better than two. That being said, mosquitoes have been worse this year than anything I can remember.

Reactions: Ers236

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
One thing I’ve noticed since I quit drinking is I never get bit anymore. I live in Mobile and have always been the one who gets torn up from bites. Quit drinking 11 months ago and can now be outside and not have to put repellent on. I guess alcohol coming through the pores attracts them.
1721061023557.png

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Just drink more and then the bites aren’t as noticeable****

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Talstar/ Bifenthrin work for me, but you have to saturate the entire area around your deck patio, including grass, trees, leaves, plants, eves of house, walls, etc., plus the first rain will wash some of it away.

I tried Spartan for two summers when they first came out, they didn't work at all for me.

Make sure water is not standing anywhere, included old flower pots, gutters, etc.

Reactions: oxdawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Talstar/ Bifenthrin work for me, but you have to saturate the entire area around your deck patio, including grass, trees, leaves, plants, eves of house, walls, etc., plus the first rain will wash some of it away.

I tried Spartan for two summers when they first came out, they didn't work at all for me.

Make sure water is not standing anywhere, included old flower pots, gutters, etc.
Our lot backs up to a pond (not my pond) and I have always felt like it was an issue. Maybe 30 yards away from my fence line

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Bought one of these thinking it was BS but if you use it how they say and spray under the leaves and plants, it works great. There is also an attachment if you already have a blower.

IMG_2164.png

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Best advice for dealing with them? We just moved into a new house in late May and have had a tough time with them. Can’t do anything in our back yard without getting bites all over. We aren’t far from a pond so that doesn’t help. Tried some of the basic things (fogger spray, scented candles, etc) but wanting to try something a little more intensive.
Certainly not an expert, but from what I can tell, if there is not a comprehensive spraying or treatment plan in your area, there's not going to be a lot you can do to keep them off your property. Best you can do is protect a small area with something like box fans.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
I have a crew of Barn Swallows that nest in the rear of the yard. When they show up in the spring, mosquito numbers begin to plummet. Those little birds can eat some bugs.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
You obviously weren't drinking the right octane level.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I did this as a kid and haven't had a problem with skeeters since:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I have a crew of Barn Swallows that nest in the rear of the yard. When they show up in the spring, mosquito numbers begin to plummet. Those little birds can eat some bugs.
A couple of people in my neighborhood put up bat boxes. They don't seem to make a difference to the mosquito population. I think the rumor that each bat will eat 1,000 mosquitoes per night is urban legend. But my kids are terrified of vampires, so I do have fun with that.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
A couple of people in my neighborhood put up bat boxes. They don't seem to make a difference to the mosquito population. I think the rumor that each bat will eat 1,000 mosquitoes per night is urban legend. But my kids are terrified of vampires, so I do have fun with that.
Barn Swallows definitely do. Mosquitos are terrible before they get here.. fall off when the birds show.. then when they scram in August, the skeeters get more numerous again.

they zoom around just a few feet off the ground.. I assume it’s mosquitoes and other bugs they are gobbling up. They sure leave a poop mess around their nests.

I don’t know how you attract them. They just showed up one spring and keep coming back. There is a box culvert on the highway that a bunch of them nest in. It does take getting used to them swooping down at you.. but eat the bugs and I’ll take the tradeoff

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I use Cutter hose end spray, reapply after two weeks, and that tends to knock down the mosquito population and I have a pond in my backyard. The city also sprays regularly.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I have been having success with Murphy's mosquito repellent incense sticks. $12 for 12 at Lowe's. I put them in an area behind my box fan I keep going on the back porch. I also purchased a solar powered bug zapper and put it about 30 ft. away from where we sit. $40 at Lowe's.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Thermacell lantern on the back deck is how we cope. It just takes about 5-10 minutes to start working.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Bats are hard to attract even with the bat houses. Most of the time they’re a waste of money and energy.

Reactions: Darryl Steight
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login