OT: Mosquitos are out of control

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Curious if this has worked

I can handle the heat, humidity and drought conditions….but something has to give. Living in MS and LA is actually worse than the conditions Hitler is facing in his afterlife …..the deepest parts of the underground are like a Caribbean breeze, Georgetown Cayman compared to this 7th ring of Hell ….as I type, Malaria runs through me like soup…MFken skeeter just road past me on a motorcycle, pointed to its barbed wire tattoo..honked a little bich azz horn and flipped me off.

what gives?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Desoto Co. has sprayed my street twice in the last month. Seems to help some. Bad summer for them.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

I can handle the heat, humidity and drought conditions….but something has to give. Living in MS and LA is actually worse than the conditions Hitler is facing in his afterlife …..the deepest parts of the underground are like a Caribbean breeze, Georgetown Cayman compared to this 7th ring of Hell ….as I type, Malaria runs through me like soup…MFken skeeter just road past me on a motorcycle, pointed to its barbed wire tattoo..honked a little bich azz horn and flipped me off.

what gives?
Yes it does work. Probably dropping pellets that contain a larvicide that prevents the larva from every maturing into mosquitoes. We use it to treat rice to keep weevils and other bugs out of the grain. It’s very safe

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It's been so dry in Flowood that I've noticed less skeeters over the last six weeks or so. I walk the dogs two miles as dusk and haven't been bothered much. Horse flys are still checking in though.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I don't habe mosquitos any worse than normal, I do use the Spartan mosquito baits around the yard. We've got these big black gnats. They just swarm around your face. They get in your eyes and mouth. Its brutal mowing the yard.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
That spraying is just window dressing. It helps very very little.
Agree not a game changer, but we have a lot of puddles and stagnant water alongside the road where they spray, so it helped those areas, but for houses far off the road not so much. They also have been working on grading out ditches on the major roads so water won't accumulate and breed more skeeters.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

what gives?
It’s been bad down here too and I can’t figure why considering there shouldn’t be any pools of water.

Reactions: skydawg1

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Down here on the coast I'm not noticing mosquitoes but the deer flies are pretty bad.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Not only mosquitoes but the deer flies and horse flies are bad too. The extra heat seems to have made them even more aggressive than normal. How they know to bite you on the back of your shoulder is beyond me. I had a horse fly about the size of a hummingbird land on my tractor hood last week where he turned to face me so that we had a stare down for about 15 minutes. While I was watching him one of his buddies bit me in the back. I hate those things.

Reactions: trob115

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I hate the little bastards. I got West Nile virus several years ago when it was all the rage in Mississippi. I had a mile case but you don't want it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Agree not a game changer, but we have a lot of puddles and stagnant water alongside the road where they spray, so it helped those areas, but for houses far off the road not so much. They also have been working on grading out ditches on the major roads so water won't accumulate and breed more skeeters.
We have a lot of private mosquito companies operating in the area. We don't have mosquitos nearly as bad as I remember growing up, but I'm not sure if that's because I spend less time outside or because all the control is actually working.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

what gives?
Haven’t had a problem with mosquitoes in Leflore county YET. It usually hits real bad in September.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Every been to the jungles of the Philippines Islands? Growing up in Mississippi kind of prepared me.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
It's been too hot for me to go outside and find out how bad they are.

I too, believe the spraying in Desoto County, which has been going on for a while, helps. My problem when sitting out by the pool is those 17n no-see-ums.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, wasp, bees, and yellow jackets all seem plentiful this summer. The only positive for the brutal heat is that it seems to have pushed the chiggers underground. They aren’t too bad right now. Unfortunately, when it cools off a little they will be back and they will be hungry. All of this is a lot of misery to put up with just to get our place ready for deer season. I love our little place from mid October until the end of April. Summer is nothing but sweat and misery.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

what gives?
I had a flock of barn swallows that were little terrorists when you walked outside and would even pester the dog. Saw them running off a hawk over the soybean fields across the road. They leave at the first of August and head out.

I had zero clue how many mosquitoes they eat. I had zero issues with mosquitoes when they were here. I walked out two nights ago to watch the starlink satellite train come over and the mosquitoes almost picked me up and carried me off to their lair.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Nothing is living in this heat in Central Texas except a few gnats. No fles or mosquitos just a few wasps. The bees must be coming out at dusk or in the dark. I'm glad I didn't try to grow anything outside. Even the folks who've lived here all their life said that this is the worst they've seen. Everything is dead.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Not only mosquitoes but the deer flies and horse flies are bad too. The extra heat seems to have made them even more aggressive than normal. How they know to bite you on the back of your shoulder is beyond me. I had a horse fly about the size of a hummingbird land on my tractor hood last week where he turned to face me so that we had a stare down for about 15 minutes. While I was watching him one of his buddies bit me in the back. I hate those things.
clever girl GIF

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
1692889845799.png
By saying "out of control' are you implying they were under control at some point ?

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I have to call the Air National Guard to carpet bomb my back yard with napalm before the wife can tend the garden.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I don't have mosquitos near my house even here in Montgomery, Alabama. Know why.

Because I have one of these.

I load it up in early spring and mid fall with a mix of one oz Talstar P (You can get it at the farm store) to one gallon of water. I then fog all the shrubbery around my house. I also use it to spray a barrier treatment around my home. As well as my eaves and door frames. I get no mosquitos, and barely any wasps, ever. Very few other bugs ever as well.

After that dries for a day or two I will treat areas on my patio and in my kitchen with PT Alpine Sprayable Fly Bait. Available on Amazon. I get very few flies. This lasts a month or two. You can use it around live stock too. So no horse flies.

Reactions: trob115

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I don't have mosquitos near my house even here in Montgomery, Alabama. Know why.

Because I have one of these.

I load it up in early spring and mid fall with a mix of one oz Talstar P (You can get it at the farm store) to one gallon of water. I then fog all the shrubbery around my house. I also use it to spray a barrier treatment around my home. As well as my eaves and door frames. I get no mosquitos, and barely any wasps, ever. Very few other bugs ever as well.

After that dries for a day or two I will treat areas on my patio and in my kitchen with PT Alpine Sprayable Fly Bait. Available on Amazon. I get very few flies. This lasts a month or two. You can use it around live stock too. So no horse flies.
Talstar is the bomb. For ants, cockroaches, and silverfish as well.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Nothing is living in this heat in Central Texas except a few gnats. No fles or mosquitos just a few wasps. The bees must be coming out at dusk or in the dark. I'm glad I didn't try to grow anything outside. Even the folks who've lived here all their life said that this is the worst they've seen. Everything is dead.
I drove all over eastern and central Texas a few weeks ago, the contrast was amazing. East TX was lush and green and then you crossed a line and everything was dead. I thought that I had seen draught conditions in MS before but nothing like I saw west of Fort Worth. I don't hoe the cattle farmers can survive. I have a nephew cutting and baking hay in NE MS and every bit of it is going to Texas.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login