OT: Moving Advice

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
We're relocating in a few weeks with two toddlers. It's our first major move with kids. Any tips for moving with kids to help everything go smoother? I don't think we have the necessary funds to easily use movers versus doing it ourselves, but if you have used an affordable moving company I'm open to suggestions. So, give me all your best moving advice Sixpackers!

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
We're relocating in a few weeks with two toddlers. It's our first major move with kids. Any tips for moving with kids to help everything go smoother? I don't think we have the necessary funds to easily use movers versus doing it ourselves, but if you have used an affordable moving company I'm open to suggestions. So, give me all your best moving advice Sixpackers!
May God help you in your time of distress. I pray for your survival.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Make sure to do it on the hottest day of the year and don’t drink much water. The consequences will motivate you to acquire the funds to pay movers next time. At least that’s how I did it.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Mrs. Rachel helped me last year when we moved with an infant.

ETA: Like jethreaux I got dehydrated and I'd never really experienced anything like that before. Movers are a must for me next time. Thankfully, we went through a purge of things when we moved and downsized and will do so again so hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Last edited:

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I have no idea what they cost, but after we moved in 2018 I swore no matter if I had to cash out my entire 401k or pimp my wife out I'd hire movers the next time we move. Call Atlas, they'll send a semi-trailer to your house and pack up everything. Depending on the distance of the move, all you need to do is take clothing and toiletries for a couple days to live on and they handle the rest. Best money you'll ever spend.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Mrs. Rachel helped me last year with an infant.
Man my little nieces LOVE that show, it's the only thing that holds their attention and they seem to even learn a little from it. So of course my numbnuts brother in law finds out she once said something nice about gay folks, that was a wrap and now they all stay miserable. Real, real smart.

Also Miss Rachel is oddly attractive.

dawglurker

Jul 13, 2017
Nothing feels more manly than driving a 26' U-Haul across the open plains of America towards that new freedom of the West. It even comes with one of those overhead pull cords for the horn. Kids in the backseats on their family vacations will envy you as you pull that cord for long honk.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't care if you have to borrow from your 401k or rob a gas station: hiring movers is literally the best money you can ever spend.

I'm not saying pay for packing/unpacking and stuff like that, but as far as moving the heavy stuff - seriously dawg, hire professional movers.
If you're in college and everything you have can fit in the bed of a pickup truck, it's OK to get a couple of friends and buy them pizza and beer to help you move. Every move after that, get a mover.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
Make sure to do it on the hottest day of the year and don’t drink much water. The consequences will motivate you to acquire the funds to pay movers next time. At least that’s how I did it.
Made that the mistake the last time we moved.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Using a mover is the way to go, unless you can get a buddy to help and all your stuff (not including the wife and kids) can fit in a 20 foot U-Haul truck. But one caveat, never sign the movers inventory manifest when they are finished with the move without noting missing items. Doing so would waive your rights for any post move claims for missing items. The movers are hoping you are too tired after the move to request a physical inventory. They hope you "trust" them not to lose your stuff. Big mistake.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Sounds like I'm spending my afternoon pricing movers. Someone mentioned Atlas. Any other specific companies to use or avoid? Also, keep the advice coming.

We were in our late 20s the last time we moved with no kids and were newly weds. So, this is pretty different at our age with a 4 and soon to be 3 year old.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Where are you moving from and to? We used Two Men And A Truck for an in town move. This was 7 years ago but it was $150/hour and we used them for 6 hours.

Also provide lunch to the movers. They won't eat until after they get done but I went and got each of them a whole pizza.

Last edited:

Anon1718650541

Jun 17, 2024
How far are you moving? If you can get some high school/college guys to load the truck.... you drive it and find more to unload. Of course, how 'valuable' is your stuff. My last move (also late 30s) was cross-town. We hired Two Men and a Truck. They are certainly the budget-friendly option. We paid extra to move a piano.
Hiring some college guys that aren't bonded you have no recourse if anything is broken.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
After my wife and I moved twice in our late 20's and early 30's on our own we hired a moving company to move us to the other side of Desoto county.

A lot of it has to do on how much stuff you have to move. If you are dealing with a two story house on either end hire movers.

Tip on saving money with movers.
Start a month ahead of time packing and disassembling everything yourself bit by bit and when the mover's arrive all they have to do is load it up. When you arrive at the new house have them put the furniture and appliances in the correct rooms then put the rest in the garage and unpack at your leisure.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I tend to think from a safety viewpoint. Have plenty of muscle to move the big items and regarding small children.....keep them out of the way. Tragedy struck years ago here in Memphis, when a young couple were trying to move a big piano and it fell on one of their kids killing him. Ok to do it yourself, but don't rush. You can injure yourself as well.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
Where are you moving from and to? We used two men and a truck for an in town move. This was 7 years ago but it was $150/hour and we used them for 6 hours.

Also provide lunch to the movers. They won't eat until after they get done but I went and got each of them a whole pizza.
It will be around a 350 mile move driveway to driveway.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Since your move is long distance - this doesn't apply but if you are doing an in-town move - this is my other advice. Don't move a lot of little **** thinking you are saving $$. What took me 4-5 hours by myself just loading up my truck bed would have taken those movers 15 minutes with 3 guys and a moving truck.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Also provide lunch to the movers. They won't eat until after they get done but I went and got each of them us a whole pizza.
Come on now, FIFY.

But seriously, this. Offer em water or whatever you have, and if the movers treat you and your stuff well make sure to throw at least an extra $20 apiece their way.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
We luckily had friends with kids in the city we were moving to, so playdates abound while moving sh|t.
Good luck.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
When my wife and I made our first move w/ furniture and pets (no kids then) we tranquilized the pets. Went to our vet paid .25c for a pill and split in two pieces and gave it to them and they were zombies for about 12 hours. Maybe you could do that to the kids, just a suggestion..........

Edit: Since they we've paid movers twice . Them loading and unloading is well worth the money but as maroonmadman said, don't pay them to pack and unpack. Their "unpacking" consisted of them getting the proper boxes to the proper room and dumping all the clothes on the bed or putting plates, glasses, bowls etc anywhere they could find a spot on the kitchen counter.

Last edited:

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Do all the packing and unpacking yourself. Hire movers to load/unload. We used Two Men & A Truck and it went well. From Kosciusko to Gluckstadt cost about $1400. My back says it was worth every penny.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Just did a move from ATL to the Memphis area. It was a 3-day project -- load on day one, drive on day two, unload on day three. River City Moving (based in Chattanooga) saved me $4k-$5k compared to my higher quotes, and that was for two 26' trucks and four guys. We packed everything, they wrapped with blankets and plastic. They disassembled and reassembled beds. NOTHING was broken or damaged by them. Tell them I recommended.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The only thing I will say negative about using movers was those ba$tArd$ stole a dress type watch of mine, a gold faced one w/ MSU crest on it. I wanted that instead of a class ring that I knew I would never wear so my parents bought it for me. I always put that kind of stuff from my pockets in a wooden box just inside the door when I walked in along w/ keys, wallet, etc. The watch was there the morning the movers arrived because I hadn't gone anywhere and I usually wore an old Casio diver watch to work anyway. I didn't think anything about it until a day later when we arrived at new house. Started looking for that wooden box, found it and no watch in there. I never saw it again. I filed a report w/ the moving company but they said w/ no proof, too bad basically. I would advise you which others had done to me, anything valuable pack yourself and take it in the car w/ you i.e. guns, jewelry, family keepsakes, etc. They will pack and itemize them but I wouldn't trust them after my experience.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Here is what I did. I did two trip. One trip I got smaller stuff in uhaul on my own with help from my wife and brother.
For the second trip I used uhaul again but I used movers for bigger stuff snd boxes
uhaul also has a secondary site that list moving services you can book with ratings. I booked in one town for loading and then a second booking for the town we moved too. Between myself and them we had everything loaded in two hours and everything unloaded in an hour. Depends on how many people they bring. Last time I moved was in the summer and it was worth every penny to have the help and you don't want to hurt yourself or friends. I tell people we are friends or family but it's north worth the doctors expense if I get hurt moving heavy stuff for you for a pizza.

edit to add I saved cost by going uhaul and driving myself. The big 26 foot truck both trips. It was needed. You never realize how much crap you have until you move

• Haha
Reactions: MSUDOG24

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I would really depend on how far you are moving. If its close no reason why you couldn't rent a u-haul and ask friends to help. I would get tricky if you had help loading and moved some distance and didn't have help unloading.

Me and my wife have moved NUMEROUS times with and without kids. She is super organized and has always had everything boxed up so moving for us is quit easy. We load what we can and I get help for what she can't lift. Her mom and sister were great help also. Never took more than couple days for everything to be put away.

But distance is a concern if you want friends to help and I wouldn't be shy about asking. Its what we do for each other that we care about.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
When you pack up your stuff make sure to go through everything and take this opportunity to throw away or give away junk you don’t need/want. Once you are done do it again. No better time to clean things out than when you move. The less you take with you the less you have to pack and unpack.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Whatever size truck you think you need, get one size bigger.

Use this as an opportunity to purge the junk you've been hauling around since high school. Get a dumpster bag, or depending on where you are, you can get the city to bring a dumpster. Donate or dump everything you haven't used in 6 months or more.

Reactions: kired

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I moved 2000+ miles in the summer of 2020. I remember looking at Uhaul and it was going to be 2 trips and $5k for the rental plus gas. I went with United Van lines and they were $6500. But that included loading everything up, and unloading and putting it in the rental house we lived in for about a year.

I learned about "lumpers" during this process. The van lines hire lumpers to meet the truck at your destination. If you need help but don't have friends at your destination, if suggest looking up lumper services. They charged me like $350 to load up a 26' uhaul to the brim when we moved out of the rental. It was worth $1000 to me.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
All moving companies suck. Set aside $1000 of your doing a local move. Paying for 3 movers instead of 4 will cost you more money in the end. Do all the pre packing yourself.

Lastly, they will almost always give you a sob story and try to extract more money from you when they unload. Tell them you want to talk about when everything is in the house.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login