OT - MSU financial aid help

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Little background - we live in Central America serving as missionaries. We are still MS residents because they still want those taxes and we are still licensed to drive and vote there.

I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to ask the financial aid office but I'll get answers much faster, and probably more clarity here.

So my oldest will be going to college next fall he graduated in May but is taking a year off to reacclimate to living in the US, he moved from the US at age 11. As we're starting to navigate this college thing for the first time since I went I'm looking for some help.

My first impression of the financial aid situation is, have the award amounts changed over the last 20 years to keep up with college costs? I could have sworn that when I graduated high school ('94) a 32 on the ACT was practically a full ride. Now I'm looking at their charts and a 36 only offers $9k a year which doesn't even cover full tuition (granted I'm sure they would be eligible for other stuff).

We are "poor" by US standards so he'll be eligible for full pell grant and I'm just now learning about the MS HELP grant which I think he'll be eligible for as well but it looks like those will only cover tuition. He'll still be on the hook for room and board which is actually more expensive than tuition.

So my first question, if the pell grant and HELP grant pay for tuition is that before or after the scholarship he is eligible for because of his ACT and gpa or any other scholarships he might win?

Any other tips you might have for ways for pay for college would be greatly appreciated (I spent their 529 money to buy lifetime subscriptions to BulldogBlitz and SixPackSpeak, that turned out to be a bad choice).

PS - he has already received a letter from MSU telling him how much he is eligible for in the scholarship for ACT but hasn't even heard if he's accepted yet, is that normal?

Thanks

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
Ill leave the actual answers to people who know but it sounds like he will be eligible for pell grants for what he doesn't receive in scholarships.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
If he has a 32 he should be able to stack enough schollys to nearly get a full ride. At least it worked that way for my son back in 2014 when he started. This one helped a lot.

MESG – MS Eminent Scholars Grant – Mississippi Office of State Financial Aid (msfinancialaid.org)
I saw that one too but it appears the HELP is worth the most. I'm just hoping the grants ignore all scholarship money. He'll be in good shape if that's the case.

He doesn't have a 32 yet but he's close. He got screwed by COVID because they shut down all International ACT testing here in his So year right before he was scheduled to take it. He flew back in late 2020 to take it in the US. He's going to take it several more times this year since he's in the US now.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Excited that your student is considering joining us. Please email me at [email protected] your phone number and I will give you a call. I will be glad to discuss all of the enrollment(admissions, scholarship, financial aid, etc) details with you.
John Dickerson
Assistant Vice President for Enrollment
Mississippi State University
Really shady first post. Probably a closet rebel selling MLM’s. Be careful. I don’t smell Dale’s.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Excited that your student is considering joining us. Please email me at [email protected] your phone number and I will give you a call. I will be glad to discuss all of the enrollment(admissions, scholarship, financial aid, etc) details with you.
John Dickerson

@dawgstudent I like this new feature.

John, thank you so much for responding, I'll definitely send you an email in the morning.

Last edited:

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
John Dickerson
I was wondering what JackAtShelter's new handle on the new board was.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I like seeing cool threads like this. Reminded me of the fact that an Ex President of Honduras is a STATE Grad.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login