OT: MSU Housing Issues

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
“Family business reminder – We/you don’t air to others,” Dei Allard, the department’s executive director, wrote in an email four years ago to high-up staff in the department. “Basically, only a handful of those within our organization should be privileged to have this information… i.e. keep your mouth shut.”

In response, one staff member noted that processes like this likely exist at universities across the country, while another raised concerns that 5* results in students receiving preferential treatment, such as a better room assignment or a new room if they aren’t satisfied with their initial draw, because of who they know.

“The name itself is an issue in my opinion,” wrote Jessica Brown, the department’s assignments coordinator at the time. “I think this has created a very unfair system and a system of privilege. I think that it in a way causes other students to be unknowingly discriminated against such as based on their economic social status.”
1727277824602.gif

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Had not heard of this just thought it might be something that pack might want to see given the football season is in the tank, and we need stuff to talk about. So, discuss.

Seems absurd to be making an issue of it unless people already assigned student housing are getting bumped out of it to grant favors.

I think the people in housing that are critical of it should be told they no longer have to accommodate requests but that their salary will now be the percentage of university spending not reliant on private gifts. Not sure what that is for MSU.

Reactions: Maroon13

patdog

May 28, 2007
Word to the wise. Don't ever put something like this in an email. Especially if you work for a governmental entity. But yeah, this has been going on for at least 100 years at every university in the country.
“Family business reminder – We/you don’t air to others,” Dei Allard, the department’s executive director, wrote in an email four years ago to high-up staff in the department. “Basically, only a handful of those within our organization should be privileged to have this information… i.e. keep your mouth shut.”

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
As long as this is part of it, I'm good:
"the practice has also been used to recruit “academic stars” who tie their enrollment to housing preferences such as location, cost, amenities and affinity groups."

We need to give our university every tool necessary to recruit the best and brightest.

That being said, even if they dropped just that portion, I would still be good with benefits for current wealthy donors. My own kids are hopefully going to State. If someone who gives significantly more to the university takes housing priority over my kids, I'm good with that.

I don't like the public officials part at all, but I'm not surprised.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Had not heard of this just thought it might be something that pack might want to see given the football season is in the tank, and we need stuff to talk about. So, discuss.
I don't doubt that it exists, especially given that there is email evidence. However, my daughter got into one of the nice dorms simply by requesting it and being willing to pay for it. I can assure you that nobody at MSU knew her, or her roommate's family names. So, I buy that it is "privileged" to be able to afford it, but I know from my experience, admittedly years ago, that my kids secured "good dorms" just through the regular process.

Perhaps, if you choose to selectively map it, you can draw a line between the "5*" students that got a place because of that and the first comparable number of students who applied but missed the cut? Regardless, in a public institution, it should just be first come, first served, top to bottom.

Reactions: dorndawg and patdog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So who is the disgruntled ex-employee that talked to Mississippi today?*

Seriously, if someone is a high achiever academically or their parents have give a bunch of money to the school, so what if the students gets a pick of dorms.

I can tell you this from personal experience 2 years ago. The application process for dorms is early. I'm positive my daughter applied the first of May (there about) her senior yr of high school. They create priority list based on when you applied for housing. If you wait and apply late, most likely you are down on the priority list and will get a "traditional" dorm like Critz.

My daughter who did everything for housing the moment she could apply, got in Nunnlee. Which was nice.

Also the article doesn't mention that the new dorm are more expensive than the "traditional " dorms. Many choose the "traditional" dorms based on price alone.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Mississippi Today gonna Mississippi Today.
Their slogan should be "Mississippi Today - Promoting/Creating the Woke Agenda since 2016"

Is it really shocking that people that give money to the university would be given preferential treatment or (gasp) individuals that have some control over government appropriations to higher education.
I guess that we should expect an article next telling us that the individuals that give the most money to the Bulldog Club & Loyalty Foundation (Ole Miss) have the best seats for sporting events.

That one semester that I spent in Sessums (Fall 84) was a punishment only our guy Lucifer would sentence an 18 year old kid.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't doubt that it exists, especially given that there is email evidence. However, my daughter got into one of the nice dorms simply by requesting it and being willing to pay for it. I can assure you that nobody at MSU knew her, or her roommate's family names. So, I buy that it is "privileged" to be able to afford it, but I know from my experience, admittedly years ago, that my kids secured "good dorms" just through the regular process.

Perhaps, if you choose to selectively map it, you can draw a line between the "5*" students that got a place because of that and the first comparable number of students who applied but missed the cut? Regardless, in a public institution, it should just be first come, first served, top to bottom.
If it were a public institution that didn't rely on private gifts to operate, then yes, that'd be correct. I get not loving the system, but we're having to compete for donations and desirable students. If giving some preferential housing for late applicants (I assume this is all it's really impacting) helps us compete, that's not some great evil.

If favors are being done for politicians, which I would bet certainly happens, that sucks because they are trading on public funds/authority, but probably not a hill for MSU to die on. Definitely nowhere near the worst abuse by politicians and relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things. If strings are being pulled based on friendship in the administration rather than actual giving to the school or desirability of the student, then that also stinks as they are essentially converting university resources to personal use, but again, probably not anywhere near the worst abuse and probably not where attention needs to be focused.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
So I have a daughter who is in 8th grade now and MSU is her "Dream school". Her words, not mine.

When she applies, is there a place where she can request or is that something that needs to be done separately?

I lived in Hightower in 95-96 (RIP) and Arbor Acres from 96-98 (RIP). When I started, rooms were $750 a semester. Wow, how things have changed. I don't doubt that most everyone wants the best for their kids, but we have the ability to pay a little extra for a little more comfort and I want that for her.

Also, what are the nicest of the new dorms? Is there a reason to pick one over the other or are they all about the same? The article mentions 5 dorms, but are those really all the best?

Also the article doesn't mention that the new dorm are more expensive than the "traditional " dorms. Many choose the "traditional" dorms based on price alone.
Yes it does. It says the new dorms cost around $4,000 more per year than the traditional dorms. It's just under the header "University will continue 5* practice"
Mississippi State’s new construction dorms are already more likely to house wealthier and well-connected students in part because they can cost nearly $4,000 more than the campus’ traditional dorms, the seven residence halls built before 2005.

Reactions: Maroon13

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

My daughter got into one of the nicer dorms mentioned in the article too w/ no preference sought out or used to get it. Its my understanding that you state in the application process the price range you are willing to pay and they go from there so if there are certain students in older dorms and certain ones in newer ones its at least partially based on what they stated they were willing to pay. You also have to log in at midnight on a certain day to get better selections. You miss that day, that's on you and you will get what's left at a later date. What's different about that than someone going to a new apartment complex rather than an old one for the same reasons? I'm having trouble seeing the issue

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Symptom of Helicopter parenting and fear of missing out on the "best" for junior. Getting into a good school isn't. Now you have to have the best and all the bells and whistles. Same deal as the car market. Premium pricing for inessential nonsense that none of us need but have been convinced we want.

IMO You aren't doing college right if you spend a ton of time in your dorm aside for sleeping, sh!tting, and maybe some studying (although I found it distracting for that). My basic concrete box in Hathorn served just fine for that.

wasabaka

Sep 17, 2012
I'm so thankful this process existed when I got placed in my suite* at Hightower back in the day!

Also, the fact that this person's name in the emails is "DEI" is hilarious to me.

ETA: BREAKING NEWS - People with more money have the ability to afford nicer housing. More at 10:00.

Last edited:

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
As long as this is part of it, I'm good:
"the practice has also been used to recruit “academic stars” who tie their enrollment to housing preferences such as location, cost, amenities and affinity groups."

We need to give our university every tool necessary to recruit the best and brightest.

That being said, even if they dropped just that portion, I would still be good with benefits for current wealthy donors. My own kids are hopefully going to State. If someone who gives significantly more to the university takes housing priority over my kids, I'm good with that.

I don't like the public officials part at all, but I'm not surprised.
Bad look for the People’s University…

Reactions: MoronDawg

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
Around 100 "5*s" a year.

That is roughly 2.5 floors total across those 5 dorms. It's a drop in the bucket.

This article is making a big deal out of nothing. If incoming freshmen are on top of their due dates for applications, they will have no problem getting into whatever dorms they desire. The people who slack and fall behind and are late applicants are the ones who get stuck with Critz/McKee/Sessums.

wasabaka

Sep 17, 2012
Symptom of Helicopter parenting and fear of missing out on the "best" for junior. Getting into a good school isn't. Now you have to have the best and all the bells and whistles. Same deal as the car market. Premium pricing for inessential nonsense that none of us need but have been convinced we want.

IMO You aren't doing college right if you spend a ton of time in your dorm aside for sleeping, sh!tting, and maybe some studying (although I found it distracting for that). My basic concrete box in Hathorn served just fine for that.
You left out 17ing lol

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Bad look for the People’s University…
Bullshitt, don't fall for that. That one email by that employee is bad and should never have been sent. But this is a hit piece, by a rag with an agenda. It does come at an interesting time just after Shad has been squabbling with the school. Maybe this is payback for Sid Salter's response.

But overall (on this topic), Sid had the right approach - "what university doesn't try to accommodate requests in an effort to get the best students?" He needs to leave it at that and tell the next reporter who calls about it to get bent. And they may say this is all about "socioeconomic" strata, but that's a lie. You can tell what it's about because they obviously asked Sid about race specifically. They didn't ask "do only rich people get the best rooms?"... they asked him specifically about race.

Does anyone really believe Mississippi State University -- which has the highest nonwhite enrollment in the SEC, I believe -- is racist?? WTF. That's about the biggest crock of shiit I've seen in a while. And why the **** aren't they in Oxford right now if they feel the need to talk about race to get clicks? Because it's a targeted article, that's why. There's plenty more to talk about over there than in Starkville, but here they are.

This is a ridiculous f'ing article trying to make us look bad (and using race probably ups their chances of winning another pulitzer), by a terrible racebaiting supposed 'media' outlet. 17 them.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
But overall (on this topic), Sid had the right approach - "what university doesn't try to accommodate requests in an effort to get the best students?" He needs to leave it at that and tell the next reporter who calls about it to get bent. And they may say this is all about "socioeconomic" strata, but that's a lie. You can tell what it's about because they obviously asked Sid about race specifically. They didn't ask "do only rich people get the best rooms?"... they asked him specifically about race.

Agreed.

Perfect response from Sid.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If it were a public institution that didn't rely on private gifts to operate, then yes, that'd be correct. I get not loving the system, but we're having to compete for donations and desirable students. If giving some preferential housing for late applicants (I assume this is all it's really impacting) helps us compete, that's not some great evil.

If favors are being done for politicians, which I would bet certainly happens, that sucks because they are trading on public funds/authority, but probably not a hill for MSU to die on. Definitely nowhere near the worst abuse by politicians and relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things. If strings are being pulled based on friendship in the administration rather than actual giving to the school or desirability of the student, then that also stinks as they are essentially converting university resources to personal use, but again, probably not anywhere near the worst abuse and probably not where attention needs to be focused.
I'm all for using these things for recruiting academic talent, not so much for political connected people. I know, fighting windmills...

Reactions: MoronDawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My daughter got into one of the nicer dorms mentioned in the article too w/ no preference sought out or used to get it. Its my understanding that you state in the application process the price range you are willing to pay and they go from there so if there are certain students in older dorms and certain ones in newer ones its at least partially based on what they stated they were willing to pay. You also have to log in at midnight on a certain day to get better selections. You miss that day, that's on you and you will get what's left at a later date. What's different about that than someone going to a new apartment complex rather than an old one for the same reasons? I'm having trouble seeing the issue
Correction: I leaked your avatar to Admissions to give you a boost!***

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Bullshitt, don't fall for that. That one email by that employee is bad and should never have been sent. But this is a hit piece, by a rag with an agenda. It does come at an interesting time just after Shad has been squabbling with the school. Maybe this is payback for Sid Salter's response.

Does anyone really believe Mississippi State University -- which has the highest nonwhite enrollment in the SEC, I believe -- is racist?? WTF. That's about the biggest crock of shiit I've seen in a while. And why the **** aren't they in Oxford right now if they feel the need to talk about race to get clicks? Because it's a targeted article, that's why. There's plenty more to talk about over there than in Starkville, but here they are.

This is a ridiculous f'ing article trying to make us look bad (and using race probably ups their chances of winning another pulitzer), by a terrible racebaiting supposed 'media' outlet. 17 them.
Conan Obrian Applause GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
I don’t think the writer of the article realizes that many of the donations, contributions, etc are so that person and their family receive preferential treatment. Take away the option for some special perks and the university may not get the money. Many may not like it but it’s reality.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
I remember back around '05 I tried to get basketball season tickets for the first time. I didn't get them because my Bulldog Club rank wasn't high enough.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login