OT: My Boy Scouts Need The Heppin Bizness

docdawg

Mar 22, 2009
Before everyone starts complaining....Dawgstudent gave me the blessing to run this shameless promotional groveling.

I'm Scoutmaster for Starkville's Boy Scout Troop 45 and I'm putting together a trip over Spring Break to Sapelo Island, Georgia. I've started a fundraiser so the boys can earn their own way on the trip. We're selling doughnuts and Scout patches. Even if you live out of town, we can mail you a patch or doughnut certificate or BOGO card. Can't ship or deliver actual doughnuts, but if we can stick it in an envelope, we'll get it to you. Part of that whole "Trustworthy" thing. Anyway, more info on video below (what, you can't give 2 minutes of your day for an American tradition?)

To support my guys, visit https://bsatroop45starkville.square.site/

Feel free to try to outdo one another and boast about it in the comments. Also, please share the Sweet BeJeebus out of that youtube link.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Great presentation and website! I'm in. My oldest son is an MSU student and Eagle Scout. I'll have them delivered to him or he can pick them up, he may want to get involved.

docdawg

Mar 22, 2009
Thanks. We'll welcome any and all help we can get. And if he wants to visit the Troop sometime, give him those meeting details at the end of the video.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Eagle Scout from Troop 45, here...albeit the one in Augusta, GA.

Bump this Monday for me. Left the laptop at the office & I'm an old man who doesn't like to do too many transactions on my phone.

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
Eagle Scout from Troop 45, here...albeit the one in Augusta, GA.

Bump this Monday for me. Left the laptop at the office & I'm an old man who doesn't like to do too many transactions on my phone.

I knew I liked you for a reason. Eagle Scout here too.

OP, thanks for putting this out there. It sounds like a great trip and educational opportunity. I’ll gladly help out.

Maroonbulldog

Mar 3, 2008
Thanks Doc- can’t eat the doughnuts- however I’m in for the $100 patch and also the $20 patch- great thing you are doing.

docdawg

Mar 22, 2009
Eagle here from Troop 48 …… from NE Arkansas. Good job Cochise
We'll be going to Kia Kima this summer for camp. That's one reason why I'm looking for the financial support. It's hard to ask a scout to pay $250 for the Sapelo Trip and then ask for another $300 for summer camp. I'm trying to ease the financial strain as much as possible. Trust me, we're not asking for handouts. In addition to online sales, the boys are doing the old traditional "knock the doors down" sales as well. I'm just trying to cast as big a net as possible. I constantly read on Starkville blogs and boards about juvenile crime and wishing the kids had more options. We have a great program at Troop 45. I'm trying to spread the message and instill some pride of community in these scouts.

TorchingTime

Aug 25, 2012
We'll be going to Kia Kima this summer for camp. That's one reason why I'm looking for the financial support. It's hard to ask a scout to pay $250 for the Sapelo Trip and then ask for another $300 for summer camp. I'm trying to ease the financial strain as much as possible. Trust me, we're not asking for handouts. In addition to online sales, the boys are doing the old traditional "knock the doors down" sales as well. I'm just trying to cast as big a net as possible. I constantly read on Starkville blogs and boards about juvenile crime and wishing the kids had more options. We have a great program at Troop 45. I'm trying to spread the message and instill some pride of community in these scouts.

When are you headed to Kia Kima? Our troop goes every year. We'll be in Camp Cherokee week 2.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
How about cash donations. Is there a way to help?

pm me a mailing address.

I need to pay a favor forward and this is a great way to do so.

ByTor SnowDawg

Nov 4, 2021
First post, couldn't be a better one than on an MSU board and a BSA thread. Long time scouter, proud Eagle of Troop 32 and Vigil member of Yocona Area. Also father of an Eagle and Vigil OA member.

I'll be happy to donate to your website docdawg and help for this trip. Your absolutely correct on how it can get expensive to take worthwhile trips w/ scouts. From pancake breakfasts, popcorn sales, to helping park cars at MSU football
games, we've done it all. You have to be creative, but it's so worth the effort.

BTW, I see the place you're visiting is just north of Cumberland Island, another untouched place where your troop can hike and camp, our troop went 20 years ago, had a blast. Be safe and beware of the big *** spiders.

docdawg

Mar 22, 2009
BSA's Official Policy

How about cash donations. Is there a way to help?

pm me a mailing address.

I need to pay a favor forward and this is a great way to do so.

We're not supposed to receive pure cash donations. Thus the patch offer. Now if you don't want the patch, I can happily donate it to a future patch swap. Head over to https://bsatroop45starkville.square.site/ and help us there. Then you can print your receipt off and deduct it from your taxes as well. Thank you for reaching out.

docdawg

Mar 22, 2009
First post, couldn't be a better one than on an MSU board and a BSA thread. Long time scouter, proud Eagle of Troop 32 and Vigil member of Yocona Area. Also father of an Eagle and Vigil OA member.
......uh, yeah.....and you're a RUSH fan, which is pretty sweet in and of itself. We'll keep an eye out for the spiders. I'm originally from just south of Augusta, GA, and have visited Sapelo numerous times. The thing about the campground there isn't necessarily the spiders (although intimidating). The creepy thing is the thousands of tiny marsh crabs that scurry about at the camp. My son and I went last summer to check out the campground and it looked like the ground was moving. I think this trip will be amazing.

ByTor SnowDawg

Nov 4, 2021
......uh, yeah.....and you're a RUSH fan, which is pretty sweet in and of itself. We'll keep an eye out for the spiders. I'm originally from just south of Augusta, GA, and have visited Sapelo numerous times. The thing about the campground there isn't necessarily the spiders (although intimidating). The creepy thing is the thousands of tiny marsh crabs that scurry about at the camp. My son and I went last summer to check out the campground and it looked like the ground was moving. I think this trip will be amazing.

The Horse shoe crabs at Cumberland were big enough to skate board on, they were all over.

BTW, I did get one of the patches, any idea on how many of those you made? Not that I'm a patch trader or anything like that*

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
Do your scouts do a lot of patch trading? I have a box from the Pine Burr Area Council I can send to you for your men.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I just got one of each patch and figured this thread could use a bump.

Doc, I hope you reach your goals and all your Scouts can make both trips. The Sapelo one looks really fun and interesting. The guys won't fully appreciate the interaction with, & opportunity to learn from, the Gullah Geechee now, but they will in the future.

docdawg

Mar 22, 2009
Thanks for the bump ups. I've had 8 sixpackers donate since originally posting this. For any new visitors to this thread (and past ones for that matter), please help us out by sharing our YouTube video on your own social media. The YouTube link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LwTNjybJ7E

Thanks, everybody!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login