OT: My brother is seeking advice about yard care in western NC

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
My brother lives in the Smoky Mountains in western NC. He is going to the great Bulldog nation for advice from folks with ag/botany backgrounds. His county extension agent where he lives is, in his words, "too creepy to deal with."

So -- here's his question. There must be someone here who can help him. I am not quite sure what he's talking about as I'm a physics guy and there's not a single free body diagram in his pictures for some reason.

--------------------------
Seeking advice on pruning, maintenance, etc. Southern Appalachia, western NC.

1. The spruce have significant amount of 'dead needles.' Only a few inches at the ends of the limbs look 'alive.'
2. Spruce are encroaching on possibly choking the arborvitae.
3. Gold mops are encroaching/choking some spruce. Any advice appreciated.

1680122094905.png 1680122127278.png

1680122155671.png 1680122181550.png

By contrast, lawn looks fine:
1680122391858.png 1680122420807.png

Attachments

• 1680122415610.png
    1680122415610.png
    838.3 KB · Views: 3

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
My brother lives in the Smoky Mountains in western NC. He is going to the great Bulldog nation for advice from folks with ag/botany backgrounds. His county extension agent where he lives is, in his words, "too creepy to deal with."

So -- here's his question. There must be someone here who can help him. I am not quite sure what he's talking about as I'm a physics guy and there's not a single free body diagram in his pictures for some reason.

1. The spruce have significant amount of 'dead needles.' Only a few inches at the ends of the limbs look 'alive.'

View attachment 323306 View attachment 323308

View attachment 323309 View attachment 323310

View attachment 323311 View attachment 323313
LOL Don't know about his bushes and trees but he's a lucky S.O.B. to be living there.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

View attachment 323306 View attachment 323308

View attachment 323309 View attachment 323310

View attachment 323311 View attachment 323313
The way it's dying back but green on the ends, I'd guess it's a needle cast fungus most likely affecting the spruce. Local arborist would be who I'd talk to about getting it healthy.

Reactions: MagicDawg

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Looks like needlecasts.
Treat with fungicide.
Treatments may not save old damage but will keep from spreading to new growth.

Cut out everything encroaching on the tree to promote good air flow. Mulch. Keep sprinklers off of it, especially late afternoon/night. I learned the hard way that running sprinklers at night may have less evaporation for grass, but can start all kinds of fungus problems for ornamental trees and shrubs.

Reactions: MagicDawg

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Thanks to all of y'all for the responses. I shared them with my brother and he says "Thanks and Hail State."

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I have a theory that may or may not be true.

We've just had what must have been the mildest overall winter ever. December was quite warm and things were thinking about starting to grow. Then the cold spell hit right around Christmas with temperatures at or near zeros with several days failing to rise above freezing. Then things warmed up again and what wasn't already dead from the December cold days tried to start growing again. January and February were very warm compared to normal. Around mid-March we had temps in the lower 20s, with some areas into the teens, and that hung around for while. Trees already had early leaves, azaleas had bloomed in some cases, so all those things were killed back. Around here, there are lots of dead evergreens (like the spruce and arborvitae in W. North Carolina). So now, it's warm one day, then cool another. But the temps bouncing around in the winter have done their damage. Western North Carolina no doubt had similar winter weather to us with its variability.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login