OT: My wife says I look like Fred Sanford when I get prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
First I have to admit I am bad about being surprised by price increases but yesterday I checked around to get the tires balanced on my truck and holy crap. When did they start charging $80 to $100 for balancing a set of already mounted passenger tires ? Is this daily sticker shock happening with anybody else ?

1707493312050.png

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
First I have to admit I am bad about being surprised by price increases but yesterday I checked around to get the tires balanced on my truck and holy crap. When did they start charging $80 to $100 for balancing a set of already mounted passenger tires ? Is this daily sticker shock happening with anybody else ?

View attachment 525930
What! Nah, we just gonna deal with that shaking

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
The money grab known as inflation was ridiculous. Maybe some of the revenues from the grab went into the pockets of the working middle class, but this was a serious reallocation of wealth. For those low income people or those on a fixed income it was a killer. The talking heads said inflation was about 7% but the consumer saw double digit inflation or more in the cost of living, specially groceries. Saw an article that stated that Mississippi has the third highest grocery cost in the country. Unbelievable.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The money grab known as inflation was ridiculous. Maybe some of the revenues from the grab went into the pockets of the working middle class, but this was a serious reallocation of wealth. For those low income people or those on a fixed income it was a killer. The talking heads said inflation was about 7% but the consumer saw double digit inflation or more in the cost of living, specially groceries. Saw an article that stated that Mississippi has the third highest grocery cost in the country. Unbelievable.
You are wrong, sir. That was FREE money being handed out. In 2020-2022ish. You must be missing something in your calculations.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yeah- prices are higher now than a few years ago and seem to have outpaced wage increases in many situations. It sucks.
Companies have been able to charge more for the same or less and have often not had to drop prices down even as costs have reduced.

Someone is making bank for sure. Depending on how you view things, that someone varies.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I mean, where I purchase my tires rotates/balances for free. Dealership did it as well when I bought a car. A couple jack stands and a tire tool are pretty cheap (but avoid Harbor Freight) too. I've never paid to balance/rotate tires.

Reactions: 17itdawg

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Yeah- prices are higher now than a few years ago and seem to have outpaced wage increases in many situations. It sucks.
Companies have been able to charge more for the same or less and have often not had to drop prices down even as costs have reduced.

Someone is making bank for sure. Depending on how you view things, that someone varies.

marx_karl_570x712.jpg

• Haha

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm actually seeing the opposite over the last 4-5 months. Stuff is settling down. I paid $88 at discount back in November to get my summer tires unmounted and my winter tires mounted and balanced on the same rims. If you are paying $80 for just the balance in the South where the cost of living is lower, I would guess they aren't cutting you any slack for not having to mount/unmount tires.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
You are wrong, sir. That was FREE money being handed out. In 2020-2022ish. You must be missing something in your calculations.
We paid folks more not to work than they had ever made working & just could not figure out the reasons that we couldn't get anybody to work nor the reason the demand for retail products increased exponentially! As a country, we met the enemy every time we looked in the mirror.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
I’m always surprised by prices. I’m 38 and I think a nice pair of pants should top out $40. Went to Belk and a pair of Lee Khakis (which I thought was a Kmart brand that you would get roasted for wearing at school back in the day) were $89.50. The pants is too damn high

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I paid $88 at discount back in November to get my summer tires unmounted and my winter tires mounted and balanced on the same rims.
Hopefully they changed out the summer air for winter air and refilled the horn and blinker fluid. I get them to throw in a bucket of prop wash, chem light batteries and some grid squares as lagniappe.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
No less than twice in the last year or so, I've gotten a quote for something and just instantly blurted out "AMERICAN DOLLARS?!?"

One of those was in the Apple store, trying to get a wristband for my watch. I don't recall the actual price but it was preposterous.

• Haha

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Thank you, Trump and Biden Covid spending!
The alternative was a recession at least on par or probably worse that the 2008-2011 great recession, with a depression very much in the mix. Clearly, they overshot it but I do think we're collectively forgetting the level of uncertainty EVERYONE had for basically the entirety of 2020 and it appears we're getting away from it with a recession-free soft landing. (I know we had a technical recession one quarter there at some point).

What does this mean for the future? Who knows! I do know I'm not betting against the US economy mid-to-long term.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
If you have a Discount Tire near you, they'll rotate & balance for free regardless of where you bought them. It's their way of building good will so you come back to them the next time you need tires.
I think they also do patches for free too? They got me out of a nine line bind in Dallas back during that big winter storm in 2021, and wouldn't charge me anything. Discount Tire is a solid outfit in my book.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I think they also do patches for free too? They got me out of a nine line bind in Dallas back during that big winter storm in 2021, and wouldn't charge me anything. Discount Tire is a solid outfit in my book.
They also actually have decent prices on tires, too. They've been my go to recently because of their extra services and their prices.

Reactions: dorndawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

The "economy" is hundreds of billions of transactions on a daily basis that overtime reaches something like an equilibrium. But you helicopter a bunch of cash in and that equilibrium is going to be disturbed in unpredictable ways. Younger workers that were in a position to switch jobs at the drop of a hat were generally big winners on the income side. Older workers with a lot of company specific knowledge were mostly screwed unless they were willing to make a pretty big bluff or had good owners. I think providers of luxury goods and services were winners because so much of the money went to people that were owners or self employed and were already well off or rich. I think people on the commodities side were winners b/c the inflation has to go somewhere. Real estate owners for the same reason, except for those concentrated in office space in urban centers (more because of remote work than the money). People with long term fixed debt were big winners obviously and holders of long term fixed debt were losers (although that was easy enough to predict).

But I think in general most people lost big for a little while and have now mostly lost small after their wages have caught up.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The "economy" is hundreds of billions of transactions on a daily basis that overtime reaches something like an equilibrium. But you helicopter a bunch of cash in and that equilibrium is going to be disturbed in unpredictable ways. Younger workers that were in a position to switch jobs at the drop of a hat were generally big winners on the income side. Older workers with a lot of company specific knowledge were mostly screwed unless they were willing to make a pretty big bluff or had good owners. I think providers of luxury goods and services were winners because so much of the money went to people that were owners or self employed and were already well off or rich. I think people on the commodities side were winners b/c the inflation has to go somewhere. Real estate owners for the same reason, except for those concentrated in office space in urban centers (more because of remote work than the money). People with long term fixed debt were big winners obviously and holders of long term fixed debt were losers (although that was easy enough to predict).

But I think in general most people lost big for a little while and have now mostly lost small after their wages have caught up.
I think your 1st paragraph is a pretty good summation, but I'm not sure how the concluding sentence goes with it?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sure- most lost big then most now lose small.
...which means a few won big and continue to win small. Quite the increase for a few.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Carrefour , the largest supermarket chain in Europe pulled all Pepsico products from their stores at the first of the year. includes Pepsi, Rice a Roni , Lays chips ,Cheetos and Mountain Dew. they were pulled over "unacceptable price increases". Pepsico has been charging double digit price increases the last 7 quarters. i read this a few weeks ago and the last time i went grocery shopping , last week, Pepsi 12 packs had went up from $7.99 to $9.99. Coke prices remained the same.
Anyway, Carrefour has over 14,000 stores in France, Italy, Spain and Belgium. hope fully this might be the start of some thing but i doubt it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think your 1st paragraph is a pretty good summation, but I'm not sure how the concluding sentence goes with it?
The conclusion is somewhat out of my *** conjecture. But while I don't think where we were was "the" equilibrium that we are inevitably going to get back to, I do think most people are going to end up roughly near the same place they started after a while. I say lost a little because I still don't quite believe the wage data and inflation data. I think the inflation data is understating waht people have actually experienced and I think something about the skew in the wage data is messing something up. But that's just a suspicion.

Reactions: dorndawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Sure- most lost big then most now lose small.
...which means a few won big and continue to win small. Quite the increase for a few.
I don't think it's zero sum, so I don't think most losing big and then small means other people won (I think on the whole we were net losers), but absolutely some people got huge windfalls. Congress basically used the pandemic as an excuse to hand out a bunch of goodies with no concern about who would bear the cost of them and with no real concern about whether the people receiving them were impacted by the government's covid response. Some small business owners were completely devastated with no justification (granted mainly by state and local governments) and others, who didn't shut down for a day, to PPP and then ERC. There were people with relatively small businesses that got my entire networth in handouts from the government between PPP and ERC. People with bigger business that are still classified as small got multiples of my networth handed to them.

For government, the scale of harm from all the covid response was relatively tame (lots of individual heartache from just throwing away people's lie work like it was nothing, and drove who knows how many people to suicide, but at least avoided mass murder I guess), but it is still amazing how inexcusably the vast majority of people in government acted.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don't think it's zero sum, so I don't think most losing big and then small means other people won (I think on the whole we were net losers), but absolutely some people got huge windfalls. Congress basically used the pandemic as an excuse to hand out a bunch of goodies with no concern about who would bear the cost of them and with no real concern about whether the people receiving them were impacted by the government's covid response. Some small business owners were completely devastated with no justification (granted mainly by state and local governments) and others, who didn't shut down for a day, to PPP and then ERC. There were people with relatively small businesses that got my entire networth in handouts from the government between PPP and ERC. People with bigger business that are still classified as small got multiples of my networth handed to them.

For government, the scale of harm from all the covid response was relatively tame (lots of individual heartache from just throwing away people's lie work like it was nothing, and drove who knows how many people to suicide, but at least avoided mass murder I guess), but it is still amazing how inexcusably bad the vast majority of people in government acted.
Yeah...I was really just referring to significant shareholders and execs in companies that were able to increase their prices due to uncertainty and higher operating expenses, and then continue to keep prices high even as costs fell. Its been wild to see.

But a well written rant about how we handled covid is always appreciated too.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

View attachment 525930
Tires are so freaking expensive that keeping the ones you have commands a premium, I suppose.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I mean, where I purchase my tires rotates/balances for free. Dealership did it as well when I bought a car. A couple jack stands and a tire tool are pretty cheap (but avoid Harbor Freight) too. I've never paid to balance/rotate tires.
I just bought a set of tires at Discount Tire. I had to pay an installation fee, but it includes lifetime balancing and flat repair.

Discount Tire is good. On my OEM tires, I had a screw in one of the times. Flat repair there is free, even if you didn't buy the tires from them.

Don't confuse Discount Tire with Tire Discounters - different stores with different policies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
In my head tires should be $100 per max
Each time I get tires(its been 2 years)...
- I buy some that are $115-160.
- I multiple that by 4.
- I look at the total paid and its multiplied by 8.

The cost of tires is the cheapest part of getting new tires.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
They also actually have decent prices on tires, too. They've been my go to recently because of their extra services and their prices.
Discount Tire is owned by Tire Rack. And yes, they fix flats free (the right way - patch on the inside) for free, regardless of where you bought the tires. And they only do tires, not alignments. The only up-sale, which is fairly recent, is wiper blades but even then they don't push it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login