OT: Natchez

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I am in my late 40s and coming up on state retirement. So when I travel around I tend to look at places that may be worth considering as a place to relocate My ultimate goal is to get the hell out of Ms, but if it proves to be not financially possible I want to consider different places.

I grew up in Natchez in the 80s during the oil boom before relocating to the Jxn area in the early 90s.

I just spent a good part of the week in Natchez. I enjoyed the local restaurants, the lack of traffic and the easygoing attitude and the history there. But I can’t help but wonder if I was also blinded by nostalgia. Natchez doesn’t have a lot of modern amenities, there are a lot of run down and/or empty retail areas and there is no Chick-fil-A (kinda kidding but I know the kids would hate that fact)

Guess my question is what keeps Natchez afloat? Is it strictly tourism now? It seems like once Halliburton, international Paper left and the oil industry tanked, Natchez just stagnated. Is it just s good place to visit or is living there still a positive?

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Natchez for work over the years. My impression is the town has really declined from its peak. Still a good place to visit because of the river & the antebellum homes. But I sure wouldn’t want to live there.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
My dad and his side of the family all hailed from Natchez. You’re correct about the stagnation after the oil boom. And its really not tourism keeping it afloat, it’s largely a bunch of folks that stuck around after making money in the oil boom that used it to open restaurants / bars, etc. Some tourism helps, but none of the local places tend to be very packed even when tourists are in town. I’d be willing to bet that Starkville and Oxford both get a much larger influx of visitors even during the off-months from December - August than Natchez does in its peak visiting times.

My biggest gripe about Natchez as a retirement destination is that its not really close to any major cities that you can use as a jumping off point for air travel. 1.5 hrs from Alexandria and Baton Rouge, about 1 hr 45 min from Jackson, probably almost 2 hrs from New Orleans. That’s a long way to travel in any direction to regional airports (except NO). Of course if cross country / international air travel isn’t a big deal to you, maybe no worries.

Last edited:

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
My dad and his side of the family all hailed from Natchez. You’re correct about the stagnation after the oil boom. And its really not tourism keeping it afloat, it’s largely a bunch of folks that stuck around after making money in the oil boom that used it to open restaurants / bars, etc. Some tourism helps, but none of the local places tend to be very packed even when tourists are in town. I’d be willing to bet that Starkville and Oxford both get a much larger influx of visitors even during the off-months from December - August than Natchez does in its peak visiting times.

My biggest gripe about Natchez as a retirement destination is that its not really close to any major cities that you can use as a jumping off point for air travel. 1.5 hrs from Alexandria and Baton Rouge, about 1 hr 45 min from Jackson, probably almost 2 hrs from New Orleans. That’s a long way to travel in any direction to regional airports (except NO). Of course if cross country / international air travel isn’t a big deal to you, maybe no worries.

Yea that was always a negative when I lived there. Natchez is kind of in its own island away from everything.

I was there on a Sunday and it was a ghost town. Reminded me when I was a kid there and nothing used to be open on Sunday in the 80s.

The lack of chain places is a good thing but it also means that the local places can get pricey. I noticed it is not cheap to eat there.

Maybe it is just a good place to visit. I don’t have family there anymore so a move to natchez would be pretty isolating. Later on down the road I’ll have to consider was of getting to kids/grandkids so it may not be the smartest of places to end up.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Natchez for work over the years. My impression is the town has really declined from its peak. Still a good place to visit because of the river & the antebellum homes. But I sure wouldn’t want to live there.

In it's peak Natchez was the wealthiest city in the world. Except for perhaps London. Then those bearded bastards Lincoln and Sherman ended that. So of course it's in it's decline from the peak.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Natchez is nice. But it is a small town and it seems to me like not much there is very repeatable. Yes touring an antebellum mansion is nice. But you would not do it every Thursday for years. It's kind of a one and done. For my retirement the targets are where there is something to do all the time. Pensacola, Fl is the only place in the USA on my list. After that it is winters in Thailand and summers in Warsaw or something like that. San Juan Del Sur is on the list as is Medellín

baddawggy

Jun 12, 2018
In it's peak Natchez was the wealthiest city in the world. Except for perhaps London. Then those bearded bastards Lincoln and Sherman ended that. So of course it's in it's decline from the peak.

I think you meant to say the United States. But it did have half the millionaires in the USA living there 170 years ago.

“Economic historians will tell you that Natchez was the richest town per capita in the United States from about 1820 to 1860,” said Mimi Miller, executive director of the Historic Natchez Foundation.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
I lived there for a year during the boom right

After college. I had a good time. Problem is it’s in the middle of nowhere but truly a unique and neat place. If you are an avid outdoorsman it’s a pretty solid place to live.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Natchez has also been a decent small convention site— hosting a few conferences that I’ve attended throughout the years.

Some local businesses there that are good. Natchez Brewing is excellent. I’d like to give Smoot’s Grocery a shot too and maybe I will.

The past couple years, the city has branched out to hosting music festivals. I saw Robert Earl Keen perform on the bluffs earlier this month and Cody Jinks at the same spot in May.

I doubt I’d live there because I’m partial to Hattiesburg as a retirement destination as I’ve said before but it’s been a nice place to visit.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I am in my late 40s and coming up on state retirement. So when I travel around I tend to look at places that may be worth considering as a place to relocate My ultimate goal is to get the hell out of Ms, but if it proves to be not financially possible I want to consider different places.

I grew up in Natchez in the 80s during the oil boom before relocating to the Jxn area in the early 90s.

I just spent a good part of the week in Natchez. I enjoyed the local restaurants, the lack of traffic and the easygoing attitude and the history there. But I can’t help but wonder if I was also blinded by nostalgia. Natchez doesn’t have a lot of modern amenities, there are a lot of run down and/or empty retail areas and there is no Chick-fil-A (kinda kidding but I know the kids would hate that fact)

Guess my question is what keeps Natchez afloat? Is it strictly tourism now? It seems like once Halliburton, international Paper left and the oil industry tanked, Natchez just stagnated. Is it just s good place to visit or is living there still a positive?

Guess I'm kind of the opposite. The older I get the more I want to be close to where I grew up. All the memories. I've lost all my grandparents and one of my parents already. Memories are quickly becoming all I have left and I want to keep where they were made close to me. But that's just me and I make no claims that everybody should be the same.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I meant it’s peak in the 20th century. But I’d argue that quality of life in any middle class city in the last 60 or so years is much better than the wealthiest cities 200 years ago. It’s really declined in the last 40 years.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

It’s a shame owning other humans became against the law

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Guess I'm kind of the opposite. The older I get the more I want to be close to where I grew up. All the memories. I've lost all my grandparents and one of my parents already. Memories are quickly becoming all I have left and I want to keep where they were made close to me. But that's just me and I make no claims that everybody should be the same.

That’s kinda what hit me. As I drove around all my childhood memories came flooding back. But the fact is that the only family I have there resides in the city cemetery. And I would imagine out of my former schoolmates, only a tiny handful most likely still reside there. That’s why I posted this thread. I have fond memories but I’m also remembering good times from 35 years ago. It has changed a bunch since then.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I would rather live in Starkville and visit Natchez than live in Natchez and visit Starkville.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Natchez, Inc. will reimburse up to $2,500 of moving expenses and will offer $300 per month
for a 1-year period to assist with initial cost of living expenses. In return, the remote worker will purchase a home with a minimum value of $150,000 and continue to work remotely for at least 1-year to receive the full benefit.

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
Born and raised in Natchez, great city to grow up in. Love my hometown but would never move back.
i have so many fond memories and great friends there, so I would never blast my hood!
Btw when I go back to visit friends we usual go to Lake St John.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Born and raised in Natchez, great city to grow up in. Love my hometown but would never move back.
i have so many fond memories and great friends there, so I would never blast my hood!
Btw when I go back to visit friends we usual go to Lake St John.

Had a few classmates with lake houses there and my parents friends owned one. Spent some good weekends there. Another fond memory.

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
Had a few classmates with lake houses there and my parents friends owned one. Spent some good weekends there. Another fond memory.

Most of my friends that live there go to Jackson or Baton Rouge for healthcare help. Just saying.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Other than history and trouble, not much in
Natchez except movie production. No way I'd retire in a place without decent healthcare.

Way better places in MS to retire.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Natchez, Inc. will reimburse up to $2,500 of moving expenses and will offer $300 per month
for a 1-year period to assist with initial cost of living expenses. In return, the remote worker will purchase a home with a minimum value of $150,000 and continue to work remotely for at least 1-year to receive the full benefit.

That’s a neat benefit and all, but I don’t think I’d really let $3,600 (or maybe $2000-$2500 after taxes) be the tiebreaker in where I was relocating if I had the option to live literally anywhere for a remote work job. The $2500 in moving expense reimbursement doesn’t really move the needle at all. 90% of the time that is covered by an employer anyway if its a new job or even an existing one that is a lateral move within a company.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I feel Vicksburg and Natchez have a lot in common except Vicksburg has a lot more work and few more chains. Vicksburg is also closer to health care. Vicksburg has a few less antebellum homes but still has a lot of history. Still think that part of of the state has a major poverty issue. Me personally I wouldn't want to retire there. I lived in Vicksburg for 4 years. That 4 years was enough. I visit Natchez while I was there a lot, but not a place I would want to stay long term. You are still pretty young too. Young enough to want to be involved in a lot of things and if your kids are still young too I don't imagine Natchez having a lot to offset unless you hunt snd fish a lot.

Personally I plan to stay coastal unless I win the lottery or something enough to get a western ranch and the coastal home.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I feel Vicksburg and Natchez have a lot in common except Vicksburg has a lot more work and few more chains. Vicksburg is also closer to health care. Vicksburg has a few less antebellum homes but still has a lot of history. Still think that part of of the state has a major poverty issue. Me personally I wouldn't want to retire there. I lived in Vicksburg for 4 years. That 4 years was enough. I visit Natchez while I was there a lot, but not a place I would want to stay long term. You are still pretty young too. Young enough to want to be involved in a lot of things and if your kids are still young too I don't imagine Natchez having a lot to offset unless you hunt snd fish a lot.

Personally I plan to stay coastal unless I win the lottery or something enough to get a western ranch and the coastal home.
Agree, they do. Both towns could be really cool with the right touch. At least in Natchez, there are a couple of irons in the fire. This is one:

https://www.velocys.com/projects/bayou-fuels/

Good for jobs, which is always needed. Poverty is an issue. There a some movie stars that are over there buying up properties in that area between Natchez, Port Gibson and Vicksburg. Definitely has some natural beauty.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Plan to go down there in Fall for a short visit. Haven't seen the town in years. Thought I would drive up through the Trace from there. As far as living in a town you grew up in.....that is the reason I'm still in Meridian. I know....lots of negatives here but I still have friends around and like the area of town I reside. Having a condo in Orange Beach gives me an escape when I do get tired of it here. Ha.

NtzReb

Oct 8, 2015
If you grew up in Natchez in the 80's, there's a decent chance we know one another by name at least. I did as well. My dad died in 2017 and I don't have much family down there these days. I haven't been back since 2019. I graduated from ACCS in the late 90's; went to elementary school at Morgantown. I grew up in Morgantown subdivision and then moved out 61S in my early teens.
As to your specific question, I can't figure out what someone would do down there these days if they aren't a CPA, lawyer, doctor type professional.
I enjoyed growing up in Natchez, but I'm not sure I could go back there now in my 40's.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Semi-OT: Give the book "Deepest South of All" a listen on Audible. Really interesting part(s) of Natchez history/culture.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Its been 15 years but I traveled there monthly for almost 10 years and it was my least favorite work stop of all the ones I did in MS. Hotels and restaurants were few and it seemed they changed ownership yearly. My mother then moved there for about 5 years and I had to visit her a couple times a year but it was hard because there was just nothing to do. There was the Pilgrimage and the balloon festival and nothing else. You can only look at so many historical homes and cemeteries and then..... I would think there's many more places to consider that would be much better unless it has changed drastically. The mayor (Dan Gibson) is an MSU grad and was MSU Student Body Pres around '86 so there's that.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I can't figure out what someone would do down there these days if they aren't a CPA, lawyer, doctor type professional.
I enjoyed growing up in Natchez, but I'm not sure I could go back there now in my 40's.
It's ripe for a house-flipping show, that also dives into the techniques behind dodging bullets.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
As long as you don't have to visit a medical facility, you should be fine. I once had to take my daughter to an urgent care/emergency room there and thought to myself "the life expectancy here has to be 20 years below the national average if this is the level of care available to them."

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I grew up in Natchez in the 80s and 90s. I have some fond memories of the place and a lot of family in the cemetery. If I'm in town I'll stop by Fat Mama's for a half dozen and a Rita, but that's about where it ends for me. The town feels like it has been a state of slow decay my entire life. Besides a parent that I'd desperately love to move out of the town there isn't anything there for me now. I don't like Baton Rouge much either but I think I'd be depressed if I moved back to Natchez.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think you meant to say the United States. But it did have half the millionaires in the USA living there 170 years ago.

“Economic historians will tell you that Natchez was the richest town per capita in the United States from about 1820 to 1860,” said Mimi Miller, executive director of the Historic Natchez Foundation.

I'm always amused by these types of "facts," they are generally accepted and can be stated with virtually no data to prove nor disprove. Kind of like Bama's 1941 natty.....well, there is plenty of data to disprove that.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
As long as you don't have to visit a medical facility, you should be fine. I once had to take my daughter to an urgent care/emergency room there and thought to myself "the life expectancy here has to be 20 years below the national average if this is the level of care available to them."

My mom still lives there and this is a big concern for me. Fortunately she goes to Jackson for almost all her Healthcare needs. For a town that supposedly has a lot of money the ol Jeff Davis Hospital / Merritt or whatever it's called now isn't catching a wiff of it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login