OT: Need recommendations on a new A/V receiver

drail14me

Jul 20, 2008
My Onkyo receiver lived a good life but finally died. Looking for a replacement.

Only need 5.1 due to my current speaker set up. Plus, I’m deaf in one ear so surround sound quality isn’t that important.
What is important is that it works well with an AppleTV and a PS5 as that’s pretty much all that will run through it. From my early research, there have been some issues with the PS5 working with older HDMI. Oh, and optical sound input from the TV for antenna shows.

looking at under $600. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017
I have Denon and my dad has had Denon’s at both of their houses the past few years. They’re pretty well reviewed and I like mine a lot.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Just bite the bullet and do Sonos. They have several options to use to set up surround sound. Not that cheap but the versatility is unbeatable.

drail14me

Jul 20, 2008
I have Denon and my dad has had Denon’s at both of their houses the past few years. They’re pretty well reviewed and I like mine a lot.
I’ve been looking at a couple Denon models but in the reviews, several people had issues with connecting a PS5.

drail14me

Jul 20, 2008
Just bite the bullet and do Sonos. They have several options to use to set up surround sound. Not that cheap but the versatility is unbeatable.
Thanks. Do they make A/V receivers? Surround sound isn’t really important when you only have one ear. All sounds come from the same direction 🤣

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
First, what do you need a receiver for? I only ask because the use of receivers is mostly useless unless you’re shooting for a complete immersive experience and it doesn’t sound like you are (pun intended).

drail14me

Jul 20, 2008
First, what do you need a receiver for? I only ask because the use of receivers is mostly useless unless you’re shooting for a complete immersive experience and it doesn’t sound like you are (pun intended).
I need the extra volume from a sound system that a TV alone can’t provide. Also, receiver produces a cleaner sound than my TV speaker so that helps.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Seems that if you only need a 5.1, aren't that concerned about sound quality, any 2nd hand receiver with your optical input spec would suffice. Hell, if you're around middle Tenn I've got a Sony I bought in the late aughts I'll give you.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
My Onkyo receiver lived a good life but finally died. Looking for a replacement.

Only need 5.1 due to my current speaker set up. Plus, I’m deaf in one ear so surround sound quality isn’t that important.
What is important is that it works well with an AppleTV and a PS5 as that’s pretty much all that will run through it. Oh, and optical sound input from the TV for antenna shows.

I have had the Sony STRDH820 for over 10 years. 7.2, but you don’t have to account for either the 7 or the 2 if you don’t want. I’d highly recommend it, but you’d have to find a used model.

drail14me

Jul 20, 2008
Seems that if you only need a 5.1, aren't that concerned about sound quality, any 2nd hand receiver with your optical input spec would suffice. Hell, if you're around middle Tenn I've got a Sony I bought in the late aughts I'll give you.
Problem with an older second hand is they don’t have the new HDMI formats that people have complained about not working properly with the PS5. Thanks for the offer.

drail14me

Jul 20, 2008
I have had the Sony STRDH820 for over 10 years. 7.2, but you don’t have to account for either the 7 or the 2 if you don’t want. I’d highly recommend it, but you’d have to find a used model.
Thanks. From my readings, I’ll need a newer one with updated HDMI code to integrate properly with the PS5.

Reactions: eckie1

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I need the extra volume from a sound system that a TV alone can’t provide. Also, receiver produces a cleaner sound than my TV speaker so that helps.
I’d say that you just need a quality sound bar. sonos has the Arc which gives 3.1 sound and it sounds great.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I'm no audioplie and I don't own any audio equipment but I'll tell you, I've never heard a more crisp quality sound as I have in my sister's house through sonos. She has it rigged to her TV and in damn near every other room in her house.

No idea if it's good for a half deaf person like yourself but if it's compatible with ps-5, I'd go that route. Sonos appears to be the big brother of Bose with more to offer. Id definitely have it if I wasn't borderline homeless.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014

What is important is that it works well with an AppleTV and a PS5 as that’s pretty much all that will run through it. From my early research, there have been some issues with the PS5 working with older HDMI. Oh, and optical sound input from the TV for antenna shows.

I have separates. McIntosh amps and a Mark Levinson preamp. It's a little higher than your price range, but it is worth a look.

Also, I just ordered a new turntable. Gonna be a couple of months lead time, but it's a Pro-Ject Signature 12. They don't have mahogany option so I'm going with the gloss black. If you get into vinyl (it's coming back), check it out.

What speakers do you have?

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I have the below Sony receiver and it sounds fine to me. It's a 7.2 but there is a 5.2 for about $100 less. These are not for the true audiophile but would probably serve the OP well.

Reactions: eckie1
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login