OT: need recs on Rye whiskey

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
IMO, Pikesville is the gold standard and I have that. You can't beat it for the price. I just opened a bottle of Fiddler Toasted Rye which is good. I'm not a huge fan of JD Single Barrel Rye. Whistle Pig is very mediocre for the price.

Any suggestions in the sub $100 category that isn't allocated?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
IMO, Pikesville is the gold standard and I have that. You can't beat it for the price. I just opened a bottle of Fiddler Toasted Rye which is good. I'm not a huge fan of JD Single Barrel Rye. Whistle Pig is very mediocre for the price.

Here's a few (of many) I have in the cabinet:

Basil Hayden Dark Rye
Sazerac
Rittenhouse
Knob's Creek Single Barrel Select Rye

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
My favorites in that range that you can generally find fairly easily:

Angel's Envy Rye - finished in rum cask barrels - used to be $60, now about $85
WhistlePig 10 Year Old (love the 12 but you wont find it under $100)
Barrell - Seagrass Rye finished in Rum, Madeira and Apricot Brandy barrels
Nice selections, especially the Whistlepig

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I lived on the border of VT a few years after Whistlepig started, and all their stuff was available and cheap. Has really jumped in price since then

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009

If it's distributed near you, Riverset Rye single barrel cask strength (not the basic 94 proof version) is great and very high value for the price (~$45ish).

Wild turkey rare breed rye and Russell's single barrel rye are both good. Rare Breed is higher proof and more intense, Russell's is an easier sipper (104 proof). My last Russell's reminded me of Apple Jacks.

I'll add another vote for Whistlepig 10 yr. My dad found a bottle for $65 which is fantastic value. It's $90 here in Alabama, which is pushing it. It's friggin delicious though. Great sweet oak and baking spice balance.

I've also heard Wilderness Trail Rye is really good (especially the store picks), but I've never had it.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Hard to find, but the collaboration between George Dickel and Leopold is excellent and was running about 100 bucks.

The regular George Dickel rye is my goto for mixing.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
My favorites in that range that you can generally find fairly easily:

Angel's Envy Rye - finished in rum cask barrels - used to be $60, now about $85
WhistlePig 10 Year Old (love the 12 but you wont find it under $100)
Barrell - Seagrass Rye finished in Rum, Madeira and Apricot Brandy barrels
I'll give a string second to the Angel's Envy finished rye, it's my standard go to.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'm a Smokey Scotch guy and I don't know much about American spirits, but I got a bottle of Angles Envy Bourbon for Christmas, it's dang good.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Seagram’s VO

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I know you said you don’t like JD SiB but have you tried the barrel proof. I find all JD is significantly better at higher proofs.

other ryes that I have but only problem is that they are hard to find
Sagamore cask strength
Sagamore Rum finished
Sagamore double oak (very desserty)
Pursuit United
Penelope rye toasted
Ezra Brooks 7 yr cask strength

mush easier to find not as special but good
Old Forester 100
Smooth Ambler Contradiction Rye
WT 101 rye
Rare Breed rye

i agree that Pikesviile is good be aware that none of these will taste as much like bourbon as Pikesville does

Last edited:
Reactions: tyroid

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I don't know the difference between Whiskey and Bourbon, but Wild Turkey 101 is one of the smoothest.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If you come across the Willett Small Batch Rye, it’s well worth the price. Found a few bottles at Tupelo Wine & Spirits last week.

I'll 2nd this recommendation. Willett seems to have built up enough aged stock of their own juice to put out a consistent 4 year rye.

This one has been consistently good the last few times I've bought it.

Reactions: notthisshitagain

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't know the difference between Whiskey and Bourbon, but Wild Turkey 101 is one of the smoothest.

Well for starters bourbon is whiskey, but whiskey is often not bourbon.

Wild Turkey 101 is true Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, unless you're talking about Wild Turkey 101 Rye, which is Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Well for starters bourbon is whiskey, but whiskey is often not bourbon.

Wild Turkey 101 is true Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, unless you're talking about Wild Turkey 101 Rye, which is Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey.
Ha, should have clarified, "I don't care about he difference." :ROFLMAO:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I haven’t tried Rittenhouse. I’ll see if I can find it.

Pikesville and Rittenhouse are both Heaven Hill products. I think they use the same mashbill and Pikesville is just a longer aged, higher proof, higher quality product.

They both use the minimum amount of Rye allowed in a Rye Whiskey at 51%, and a lot of corn, so they will be smoother and more akin to Bourbon than higher Rye and Barley recipes.

You might enjoy trying some Ryes with higher Rye and Barley contents just for the comparison.

Old Forester Rye is a good start.

Reactions: aTotal360

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Chicken Cock 20 yr old Rye is legit as hell if you got the money. Even if it's Canadian rye.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Someone bought me a bottle of High West A Midwinter's Night Dram, Act 11. By all accounts, a great bottle and hard to find. But I don't like rye at all.

Might be willing to barter for something more in my wheelhouse... Low rye, high proof bourbon.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Someone bought me a bottle of High West A Midwinter's Night Dram, Act 11. By all accounts, a great bottle and hard to find. But I don't like rye at all.

Might be willing to barter for something more in my wheelhouse... Low rye, high proof bourbon.
I've sampled all the releases over the past few years. The 2021 release was good. This years was pathetic. I heard the 10x'ed production.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
You can find good deals on rye right now. Rye really took off back before covid but people aren't buying it as much now. It's sitting on shelves and deals are to be had.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I've sampled all the releases over the past few years. The 2021 release was good. This years was pathetic. I heard the 10x'ed productio
I'll take your word for it. All ryes taste like somebody dropped a handful of fresh grass clippings into a bottle of whiskey to me.

In a side note, Pepsi tastes like somebody put a tablespoon of dirt into a Coca-Cola.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login