OT: Nickelback documentary on Netflix

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I watched it yesterday and thought it was pretty good. I am a little older than their rise to fame time so I was not listening to as much new music by then. I do remember their songs from that time and I thought they were catchy. I never got to the part of hating them but I was aware of that phenomenon.

My only issue is I equate them to Boston (the band). They seem to have one sound in their head and all their songs basically sound the same. Watching this documentary even their new music is Nickelback.

It was worth the watch.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I saw them in Starkville at the Hump when they first came on the scene. It was part of the MTV campus invasion tour. I'm not a huge fan but like some of their stuff.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I saw them in Starkville at the Hump when they first came on the scene. It was part of the MTV campus invasion tour. I'm not a huge fan but like some of their stuff.
Yeah I was there too. I liked their first album, after that not so much except for the song “Side of a Bullet”.

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
So why were they hated like they were? I liked several of their songs, when they were getting big. Seems like the lead singer was dating Avril Lavinge last I heard, haven't heard much from them... just the hate.

Reactions: 17itdawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So why were they hated like they were? I liked several of their songs, when they were getting big. Seems like the lead singer was dating Avril Lavinge last I heard, haven't heard much from them... just the hate.
They sorta became a parody of what a rock band is. They got big, then got huge and way overplayed, and a ton of hate sprung up.

They were everywhere for a few years- it was like they had multiple songs in regular radio rotation at the same time on Adult Rock and top40 stations.
They are a white paper for what used to happen with industry over-promotion and shark jumping.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
They sorta became a parody of what a rock band is. They got big, then got huge and way overplayed, and a ton of hate sprung up.

They were everywhere for a few years- it was like they had multiple songs in regular radio rotation at the same time on Adult Rock and top40 stations.
They are a white paper for what used to happen with industry over-promotion and shark jumping.
Yep, overpromotion and overproduction. They were everywhere and played on the radio literally every 15 minutes. People just got tired of them. Their songs are pretty good though. They just are not a "Rock" band.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021

Great summary and throw in he has such a distinct voice and same basic tunes running over and over, it got old. Also the premise that SM was exploding and they served as one of the first pigs to slaughter in what has now become SM SOP.
As Bruce said, Boston likely would have faced the same if there was such back in the day.

Reactions: 17itdawg

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
"Look at this photograph"

Benedict Cumberbatch

Brought to you by Bob Carskadon on the B&B Show

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
There was one pretty cool thing at the end of the documentary. My daughter, who was a Radio DJ, also watched it and she was part of the hater crowd. Just think about how many times she had to play their songs. She actually softened her stance a bit after watching.

But we both loved the Sea Shanty Rockstar version.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Rockydawg

Mar 3, 2008
Monday, August 19, 2002 at the Ilha do Ermal festival in Portugal:

During the second song of their set, Nickelback was pelted with bottles and rocks and forced to quit. It was caught on video. The video went viral, and a "legend" was born.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Great summary and throw in he has such a distinct voice and same basic tunes running over and over, it got old. Also the premise that SM was exploding and they served as one of the first pigs to slaughter in what has now become SM SOP.
As Bruce said, Boston likely would have faced the same if there was such back in the day.
All those arena rock bands.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I don't get the Nickelback hate. There are lots of bands/artists who sound much......much......much worse. They had some pretty good songs that I didn't mind listening to. Now as far as Oasis.....they can suck it.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I never got the Nickelback hate. Never bought any of their music or been to a concert. So can’t say I’m a fan.

Don’t listen to the radio much, but when I do I catch myself changing the station when they come on. Ask myself why, and the only thing I can think of is I’m not supposed to like them.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
There are a lot of people that “hate” Nickelback publicly but not privately….

From the BMG article in 2022 about their then upcoming album-
“Nickelback’s success includes worldwide sales of more than 50+ million units, solidifying their status as the “eleventh best-selling music act” and second best-selling foreign act in the U.S. of the 21st century—behind only The Beatles.”

yes i know things are different now in streaming, but the point remains. They have sold a metric S-ton of music for no one to “like” them

ive always liked them decently

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login