OT: Non alcohol beers and spirits

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Hello pack, recently I have shut down all boozing. I've been trying all types of NA beers and have enjoyed a few including Three Notch'd Uncool, Brewdogs Punk AF, Bravus' NA IPA, Laginitas IPNA and their Hoppy Refresher. Tried the offerings of Athletic Brewing and enjoyed them as well. With the NA beers, it almost has to be an IPA or something of the like to have flavor of a beer or at least that's been my experience thus far.

For spirits, I'm a bourbon and gin guy. For gin, I have tried the Free Spirit and Ritual versions. Both are ok but not great. Taste way too piney so I have to really be careful when mixing. For bourbon/whiskey alternatives, I've tried Spiritless and Ritual. Spiritless tasted like bad cough medicine and Ritual was somewhat palatable as long as it was mixed properly.

Does anyone have any good recs or suggestions on stuff to avoid? Appreciate any assistance!

P.S. Yes, I know this means I'm a quitter

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
What's the point? To trick yourself into thinking you're getting a buzz?

Just drink a coke.
Sometimes you just want a beer while doing yard work, grilling or watching a game. Things become a habit after 20+ years and I'm trying to break the bad habits gradually. I work in sparkling waters to get the carbonation factor but some things feel right to have a beer. Judge less mother 17er.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I actually like some of the more basic NA beers, like PBR, Budweiser, and Heineken. I like Athletic Brew’s stuff. I tried Free Spirit bourbon and tequila, and it wasn’t good. The bourbon was better than the tequila, but not by much

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I actually like some of the more basic NA beers, like PBR, Budweiser, and Heineken. I like Athletic Brew’s stuff. I tried Free Spirit bourbon and tequila, and it wasn’t good. The bourbon was better than the tequila, but not by much
Agreed on Heineken.

I drank some Buckler a few years ago while on vacation in Spain. Pretty good stuff.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Know you asked specifically about NA beers, but have had these a couple times and enjoyed them. Not nearly as sweet as a Coke, and some really great flavors.

Reactions: columbiadawg2

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've tried some of them a few times when I was taking antibiotics which are supposedly hindered by alcohol. The best one that is easy to find is surprisingly Busch N/A. I didn't say it was good, just the best easy one to find one that tastes like beer.

My brother-in-law is also a quitter and he claims that Heineken 0.0 and Amstel Malt Classic N/A are really close to the taste. I saw some Samuel Adams yesterday for the first time in WalMart Market Grocery in Starkville, its a "juicy hazy IPA with big hop aroma, citrus notes, and full bodied" . Only has 98 calories and label says a "gold medal winner at 2022 Great American Beer Fest".

By the way the difference in an alcoholic and a quitter is an alcoholic goes to meetings and a quitter doesn't. My dad that was an alchoholic that quit w/ rehab told me that originally. He loved to tell people that quote since he was an alcoholic that kicked the habit w/ rehab. He was proud of it too.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Hello pack, recently I have shut down all boozing. I've been trying all types of NA beers and have enjoyed a few including Three Notch'd Uncool, Brewdogs Punk AF, Bravus' NA IPA, Laginitas IPNA and their Hoppy Refresher. Tried the offerings of Athletic Brewing and enjoyed them as well. With the NA beers, it almost has to be an IPA or something of the like to have flavor of a beer or at least that's been my experience thus far.

For spirits, I'm a bourbon and gin guy. For gin, I have tried the Free Spirit and Ritual versions. Both are ok but not great. Taste way too piney so I have to really be careful when mixing. For bourbon/whiskey alternatives, I've tried Spiritless and Ritual. Spiritless tasted like bad cough medicine and Ritual was somewhat palatable as long as it was mixed properly.

Does anyone have any good recs or suggestions on stuff to avoid? Appreciate any assistance!

You know, non-alcoholic, to me, is just asking for all the baptist guilt and none of the fun. But to each his own.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022

At one time - early 90's maybe - there was a NA beer called Sharp's. When I was about 11 or 12, a friend and myself came into possession some of it and thought we were big shots. It tasted like ****, and pumped the brakes on any interest in trying the real thing for another few years.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Stock up on some fizzybubbly waters. The brands dont matter- they are all underwhelming so buy whatever is on sale and cheapest that day.
You get the carbonation of beer or pop without the alcohol, sugars, carbs, or calories and that cold carbonation is crisp/refreshing when its hot out...until it burns your throat when you chug one.

I stopped back around fall of 19, I think. My wife was diagnosed with celiac, beer has wheat, and we went to a fully gluten free household.
I really never drank in front of my kids and so when I would drink it was clearly binge drinking.
Brewed unsweet Iced Tea is my go to every day, but especially at social gatherings since bars and restaurants have it.

Side note- be prepared for people to wonder why you stopped drinking.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Nothing sounds worse than a mass produced non-alcoholic beer. I guess a craft NA could be ok maybe, never tried one. But to think about a bad alcoholic content beer as a NA beer makes me want to get drunk.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Stock up on some fizzybubbly waters. The brands dont matter- they are all underwhelming so buy whatever is on sale and cheapest that day.
You get the carbonation of beer or pop without the alcohol, sugars, carbs, or calories and that cold carbonation is crisp/refreshing when its hot out...until it burns your throat when you chug one.

I stopped back around fall of 19, I think. My wife was diagnosed with celiac, beer has wheat, and we went to a fully gluten free household.
I really never drank in front of my kids and so when I would drink it was clearly binge drinking.
Brewed unsweet Iced Tea is my go to every day, but especially at social gatherings since bars and restaurants have it.

Actually got a soda stream for this several months ago and love it. Works great except I hate the flavor options for sale as they all taste too chemically.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Ditto (minus celiac/gluten)

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009

I don't think you're going to find a non-alcoholic "spirit" worth a crap, definitely not a whiskey alternative. The alcohol is what carries the flavor. That's why higher proof whiskey is generally more flavorful.

Maybe you'll have better luck with beer though, but I'm not a beer guy so don't know.

Reactions: columbiadawg2

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008

I don’t drink beer very often, but to me, Corona NA is pretty good.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Actually got a soda stream for this several months ago and love it. Works great except I hate the flavor options for sale as they all taste too chemically.
Ha, not knocking your comment since I know what you mean, but its funny that you say the product works great except for the taste when its a product that makes a drink.
We have talked about sodastream a couple times now, but never looked into the actual cost.

In the meantime, I get to stare at a wall of canned waters each week when getting groceries and do a bunch of math to figure out which one is the least worse deal. I want 24 cans and am faced with...
- buy 2 get 1 free- 8 cans for $4.99
- buy 1 get 1 half off- 12 cans for $6.99
- buy 2 get $.25 off per gallon of gas up to 20gal- $5.29 for 8 cans

After 3 minutes of struggling to do math and remember the results, I determine they are all with in a handful of pennies and get annoyed I wasted so much time figuring out which underwhelming water flavors I will consume in the coming week.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Ha, not knocking your comment since I know what you mean, but its funny that you say the product works great except for the taste when its a product that makes a drink.
We have talked about sodastream a couple times now, but never looked into the actual cost.

In the meantime, I get to stare at a wall of canned waters each week when getting groceries and do a bunch of math to figure out which one is the least worse deal. I want 24 cans and am faced with...

After 3 minutes of struggling to do math and remember the results, I determine they are all with in a handful of pennies and get annoyed I wasted so much time figuring out which underwhelming water flavors I will consume in the coming week.
Ha, I should say that I typically prefer just the water with the bubbles and no added flavor.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I keep Coors NA in the fridge. I’m a beer drinker but sometimes I want another beer but I know I’ve hit my limit early so I switch Or I’ll mix the NA’s in every third beer or something. I like regular Coors and its close enough to me. I have a friend that’s a recovering alcoholic who drinks Topo Chico sparkling waters now, not the hard seltzers. I keep them in the fridge so he can go to the beer fridge like everyone else.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
In the meantime, I get to stare at a wall of canned waters
Does canned water carry the taste of the can like other beverages do?

And props to you if you're buying individual water for going with cans over plastic. Recycling is a sham, but at least in theory aluminum can be reused more effectively.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I enjoy a cold beer or glass of wine at times, but I'm always amazed that alcohol is the only drug that people will ask you to explain why you don't partake.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

That's getting close to toilet paper math!

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That's getting close to toilet paper math!
For sure- and kleenex...or facial tissues since we dont buy the fancy stuff.
This one is $2.79 for 120 sheets while this other is $4.59 for 200 sheets. Well 17!
This one is 2 ply with lotion while this other is 3 ply without lotion. Well 17!

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Bud Zero isn’t too bad.
The Corona zero with a lime taste pretty much spot on but never have been a huge Corona fan- prefer Pacifico or Tecate if I am going to drink a Mex beer.
Not sure if they make one or not?

615 Guy

Jun 6, 2018
Bud Zero isn’t too bad.
The Corona zero with a lime taste pretty much spot on but never have been a huge Corona fan- prefer Pacifico or Tecate if I am going to drink a Mex beer.
Not sure if they make one or not?
I'll second the BudZero. I've been drinking it off and on for about 2 years when I take a timeout.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
For sure- and kleenex...or facial tissues since we dont buy the fancy stuff.
This one is $2.79 for 120 sheets while this other is $4.59 for 200 sheets. Well 17!
This one is 2 ply with lotion while this other is 3 ply without lotion. Well 17!
I can for sure warn against Charmin with lotion. Roommate bought that once in college without me knowing. I went to do my paperwork and nearly ended up with some special hair gel that stuff was so slick! Terrible idea. No way the braintrust behind that invention ever tested it. Maybe if you are a speed walker...

3-2 Dawg

Jun 6, 2023
Clausthalers is pretty good. Busch NA is surprisingly not that bad. Also another trick when not looking for the real thing is to pour a glass of carbonated water and mix in some bitters. Like it better than the flavored stuff.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I agree with goat on this one. What's the point? Just drink a carbonated beverage if you want to taste the fiz. If not, flavored water. Lots of mixes out ther. If you want the burn of hard liquor just drink some hot sauce

Reactions: dawgman42

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I like the Athletic stuff. Been looking around for some of the Guiness Zero, but I haven’t seen any around Madison.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
And props to you if you're buying individual water for going with cans over plastic. Recycling is a sham, but at least in theory aluminum can be reused more effectively.
Amen to that, nothing worse than plastic bottles. Up through the 80s you could return glass bottles and get a deposit returned. In northern states some of the deposits were double or more of what you get in the 'Sip.

I think I'm going to add outlawing plastic bottles to my campaign platform (updated below):

1. Stay on DST all year.

2. Two time zones - Eastern (east of the 'Sip), Western, (west of the 'Sip).

3. FFA/Airlines to increase the planing weights for adults from 170 lbs to 400 lbs.

4. The "recline" function of all public transit seats would be done away with.

5. Ban CGI from use in movies.

6. Outlaw, or tax the hell out of, plastic bottles.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
I pack bud zeros when I know I will have to drive home from an all day lake/beach/pool day with the family. I'll drink a few regular beers and then switch over.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I drank NA beer in Kuwait on a few occasions, didn't care for it. I'm glad it fills the need for those of you needing to lay off the spirits.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login