OT: (not TRH related) Video Game Consoles

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
It’s been 10+ years since I had an Xbox/PS but all the buzz around NCAA being back has me thinking about getting back in.
However, I could only sell it to the boss if I involved the kids as well. What game consoles out there are most interactive kid friendly (like Wii was 10+ years ago)? My oldest is only 4 so it would be something she grows into.

More importantly, who’s going to TRH this weekend? I’m considering popping my TRH-Johnson City cherry!

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It’s been 10+ years since I had an Xbox/PS but all the buzz around NCAA being back has me thinking about getting back in.
However, I could only sell it to the boss if I involved the kids as well. What game consoles out there are most interactive kid friendly (like Wii was 10+ years ago)? My oldest is only 4 so it would be something she grows into.

More importantly, who’s going to TRH this weekend? I’m considering popping my TRH-Johnson City cherry!
The Nintendo Switch is the most kid friendly but the other 2 have plenty of kid friendly games.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
They are all about the same. They all have kid games. It’s whichever platform you prefer. I was a PlayStation guy until about 12 years ago. Went with Xbox for Halo. I just switched back to PS5 for this college football because i believe Xbox won’t be around much longer. They are now selling their games on all consoles so that means to me, they aren’t doing well. They used to NEVER sell them elsewhere. Saying all that to say this, buy what you want, us men work hard for it. Tell the wife to make a sammich**** My wife would beat my azz

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
80s 1980s GIF

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Why would you want to get your kids into something that makes them sedentary, inactive, robs them of homework time, robs them of being outside and active, and makes them little zombies?
You can pretty much control all of that now. You can pick the time of day they are allowed to play and how much they can play each day within that time period. I think there is probably something to keeping them off screens altogether, but if you are going to let them watch TV occasionally there's really no reason to not let them play video games occasionally. Plus playing video games together is much more of a bonding experience than watching tv together is, and you can do it in 30 minutes together between dinner and bedtime.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Why would you want to get your kids into something that makes them sedentary, inactive, robs them of homework time, robs them of being outside and active, and makes them little zombies?
You must be a blast at parties.

Seriously though, playing the games with your kids can be a bonding experience and quality time. Playing sports games with your kids can help teach them some of the rules and strategies of each sport. Playing strategy games with your kids can help teach them critical thinking.

Not everybody just dumps them in front of the machine and turns them loose for hours at a time.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Is the switch a game boy? How am I supposed to play games with somebody on a game boy?

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008

As far as kids go, all the systems have Fortnite, Roblox and Minecraft. (They can also get those on the iPad.)
Your cheapest entry point is going to be an Xbox series S and it is adequate. If I was getting a console just for NCAA, that’s the route I’d go.

Reactions: Dawgg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Is the switch a game boy? How am I supposed to play games with somebody on a game boy?
As DS said it doesn’t have CFB 25 so it may be a non starter. It is a portable console. It comes with a stand that hooks up to your Tv and when you put it in the stand the display is on the TV. The controllers slide out the side. You can buy accessories that you can slide the controllers in to basically make it a regular controller. The controllers are sensed and use motion so games like Nintendo Sports are fun to play with a group of kids. My daughter had friends over last weekend and we played for a couple of hours.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
As DS said it doesn’t have CFB 25 so it may be a non starter. It is a portable console. It comes with a stand that hooks up to your Tv and when you put it in the stand the display is on the TV. The controllers slide out the side. You can buy accessories that you can slide the controllers in to basically make it a regular controller. The controllers are sensed and use motion so games like Nintendo Sports are fun to play with a group of kids. My daughter had friends over last weekend and we played for a couple of hours.
Sold! That’s the one. I’ve never cared for ncaa so that’s a non issue

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
The Switch gets its name because it switches from a handheld system to to traditional system by just setting it into a docking station. It connects to your TV at that point and is capable of supporting multiplayer play when docked.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Sold! That’s the one. I’ve never cared for ncaa so that’s a non issue
If you are buying one with the goal of playing games with your kids the switch is the answer. I have a PS5 and a switch. I play games on the ps5 by myself and play games on the switch with my kids

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
NCAA Football will only be on Xbox Series S, X and PS5. Like someone said above, you can get the S for cheapest. There is a thing called Xbox All Access which allows you to buy an Xbox with 2 years of Gamepass and you pay like 36 bucks a month for 24 interest free monthly installments.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
NCAA Football will only be on Xbox Series S, X and PS5. Like someone said above, you can get the S for cheapest. There is a thing called Xbox All Access which allows you to buy an Xbox with 2 years of Gamepass and you pay like 36 bucks a month for 24 interest free monthly installments.
X-Box Series S retails at $300. $36*24 = $864. That doesn’t sound like “interest free” to me….

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login