OT: observations from a recent football weekend in Wisconsin (loooong)

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Been meaning to post this for several weeks now...

One of my sons good buddies from school and his family are from Wisconsin. Over the past couple of years, the families have gotten to know each other better, and we hang out from time to time. A little before Halloween, the dad and I were on their back porch having some drinks and hanging out... He was talking about Lambeau, and I mentioned how I'd love to go see it. He took it to heart, and within 24 hours he had some tickets on standby, and was asking about travel arrangements! Our boys are only about a week apart in age, and it was that time of year, so we justified it as a birthday trip for them!

Along the way, the other dad realized that Wisconsin was playing Nebraska the Saturday before Green Bay vs. the Chargers. We were all about that, so we got some damn cheap tickets off of SeatGeek. So, our early arrival into Chicago could be put to even more use!

Madison, WI
After handling some things we had to take care of in Chicago, not the least of which was some Al's Italian Beef and meeting up with an old college buddy of mine who lives in the area who was tagging along, we hit the road for Madison. It was a good 3.5 hour drive, including the usual gnarly Chicago traffic. Once we got out of Illinois, it was like crossing from Alabama, Louisiana or Arkansas into Mississippi... roads were eleventy billion times better and we hauled ***. Lots of toll roads, though.

We arrived, and Madison seemed to be a very quaint Capitol city and college town. 2 nice lakes that oppose each other, bike lanes everywhere and low-rise architecture... I liked the overall feel of the town. The students were decked in their colors, and lots of them in the white and red overalls. Lots of school pride, and I really appreciated that. Lots of energy in the air, but not the threat of sh1rt going south like at a Lootie game. Frat houses across from the main entrance to the stadium was cool to see, but the houses were in rough shape. It's also a normal B1G campus that is spread throughout the city instead of being isolated.

We get into the stadium, and our first thought is "lets find our seats and find some beer"! We accomplished the first objective with ease, but not the 2nd: no beer sales at Camp Randall. That caught us off guard, especially with Wisconsin being the most drunken state in the Union! And, we didn't even prepare ahead by getting airplane bottles... But, we persevered and had some hot chocolate and some really awesome stadium food: brats, pretzels, cheese. They had an awesome variety, and we saved a pile of bank by not drinking.... So, we weren't too disappointed.

We had seats on the 7th row, which we all figured would be a pretty good view. In actuality, we were on the 3rd row from the rails, and not nearly the vantage point we thought we'd get. So, we watched the video board most of the night. Davis Wade has far more modern amenities than Camp Randall, IMO... But, it felt very nostalgic there. That was really cool.

The student section was magnificent. All in the endzone. My god. All their cheers were done in unison, and it didn't sound like a jumbled mess. "Jump Around" was worth the price of admission alone. Holy hell.... And they all stayed.

The football game was pretty atrocious, actually... 2 mediocre teams facing off, and we had lots of obnoxious Cornholers around us. Sconnie won it OT, but we left early to beat traffic and get us closer to Appleton, WI where we were staying.

Green Bay and Lambeau

We got up early on Sunday for the relatively short drive to Green Bay. Green Bay seems a lot like Tupelo, if it had an NFL team. Really interesting.

Just like the Sconnie game, my buddy hadn't been in a while and things change. We couldn't get to the Packers HOF without entering the stadium. But, there was tailgating and concessions all around so we had no problem staying occupied. My son and I, both wearing Dak gear, got some Packers gear to wear. We even ran into a Cowboys couple from Fort Worth who travel to games, and got a pic. Before you go in, they have a selfie station where you can grab a pic with the MASSIVE 50-foot Lombardi trophy. That was pretty damn cool.

After a few 10 AM-ish beers and Bloody Mary's, we decided to enter the stadium and go check out the Packers HOF. It was really cool to see, but you gotta pony up $12 per to check it out. I think it was worth it, overall.

It's an old stadium that has had some upgrades. All bench seating, but you can rent a chairback.... which I like. We had amazing seats on about the 35 yard line, and we were in the sun. It was a gorgeous day, but the folks in the shade had to have been freezing. Concessions were really good, and varied though the stadium. Not as much beer selection as I would have thought, but not a huge deal.

The crowd noise was LEGIT. It was real. I go to a couple or more Cowboys games a year, and that is fake noise. This was a lot of fun, and they play this cool old school riff all game long: Plus, they are very, very, very vigilant on when to tell the crowd to make noise and when STFU.... it's playing across the video boards, it was effective and really not a bad idea.

The Wisconsin Experience

After the game, a nailbiter that the Packers won, we headed to my buddies sisters house that was in the vicinity. Leaving the stadium wasn't painless, but not the worst for an NFL experience.

It was dark when we arrived at my buddy's sisters house. We made our introductions, and hung out with the family for a while. Then, they started cooking an amazing Wisconsin feast: deer backstrap that she broiled like a steak, fried walleye, brussels sprouts... everything they cooked was from the fruits of their own labor. Damn... it was amazing.

It was a Sunday night, and even though my son and his buddy were off for the week for Thanksgiving, the daughter of the house had school the next day. Yet, we still played poker until about midnight. I lost my a$$, but at least it wasn't real! It was a really heartwarming experience, and we were glad to have been included.

Headed Home

We ended the night and headed back to our AirBnB. The next morning, we had plans to go see another of our friends relatives, but that all fell through. So, we began our trek back to Midway in Chicago to get home.

On the drive back, my buddy would point out things like "Hey, here is where every Playboy magazine in the world is printed" and "Here is where all cereal boxes are made" at these factories. Wisconsin is a very blue collar state, and they don't let their small towns go without industry. The topography of driving around where we were was so much like the MS Delta... except that they have work for their residents. The people were very much like the folks you'd run into in MS, too... very salt of the earth.

I looked it up on the way back... UW Madison has over a $4B endowment. From what I could tell, few SEC schools even have $1B... That was an eye-opening observation.

Closing

It was a great trip, and I'd recommend both Madison and Green Bay as places to visit for anybody! The elephant in the room, though, is that my buddy had just recently gone into remission from Stage 4 cancer. Even though we never brought it up as a factor for the trip, it was a given that we needed to take our boys on a trip like this. Life is too short.

Just today, he was given the news that the cancer has returned to some spots of where it was before, although it hasn't spread to new areas. He'll have to start chemo again. He's a fighter, and my main concern is that his son that has to worry about this right now during the holiday season.

This guy takes off with his son every summer for camping trips across the country. Been doing it for years, and just got back from one this past weekend. I just want to encourage all of you to never take spending time with your loved ones for granted... memories last forever for the ones you make them with.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

One of my sons good buddies from school and his family are from Wisconsin. Over the past couple of years, the families have gotten to know each other better, and we hang out from time to time. A little before Halloween, the dad and I were on their back porch having some drinks and hanging out... He was talking about Lambeau, and I mentioned how I'd love to go see it. He took it to heart, and within 24 hours he had some tickets on standby, and was asking about travel arrangements! Our boys are only about a week apart in age, and it was that time of year, so we justified it as a birthday trip for them!

Along the way, the other dad realized that Wisconsin was playing Nebraska the Saturday before Green Bay vs. the Chargers. We were all about that, so we got some damn cheap tickets off of SeatGeek. So, our early arrival into Chicago could be put to even more use!

Madison, WI
After handling some things we had to take care of in Chicago, not the least of which was some Al's Italian Beef and meeting up with an old college buddy of mine who lives in the area who was tagging along, we hit the road for Madison. It was a good 3.5 hour drive, including the usual gnarly Chicago traffic. Once we got out of Illinois, it was like crossing from Alabama, Louisiana or Arkansas into Mississippi... roads were eleventy billion times better and we hauled ***. Lots of toll roads, though.

We arrived, and Madison seemed to be a very quaint Capitol city and college town. 2 nice lakes that oppose each other, bike lanes everywhere and low-rise architecture... I liked the overall feel of the town. The students were decked in their colors, and lots of them in the white and red overalls. Lots of school pride, and I really appreciated that. Lots of energy in the air, but not the threat of sh1rt going south like at a Lootie game. Frat houses across from the main entrance to the stadium was cool to see, but the houses were in rough shape. It's also a normal B1G campus that is spread throughout the city instead of being isolated.

We get into the stadium, and our first thought is "lets find our seats and find some beer"! We accomplished the first objective with ease, but not the 2nd: no beer sales at Camp Randall. That caught us off guard, especially with Wisconsin being the most drunken state in the Union! And, we didn't even prepare ahead by getting airplane bottles... But, we persevered and had some hot chocolate and some really awesome stadium food: brats, pretzels, cheese. They had an awesome variety, and we saved a pile of bank by not drinking.... So, we weren't too disappointed.

We had seats on the 7th row, which we all figured would be a pretty good view. In actuality, we were on the 3rd row from the rails, and not nearly the vantage point we thought we'd get. So, we watched the video board most of the night. Davis Wade has far more modern amenities than Camp Randall, IMO... But, it felt very nostalgic there. That was really cool.

The student section was magnificent. All in the endzone. My god. All their cheers were done in unison, and it didn't sound like a jumbled mess. "Jump Around" was worth the price of admission alone. Holy hell.... And they all stayed.

The football game was pretty atrocious, actually... 2 mediocre teams facing off, and we had lots of obnoxious Cornholers around us. Sconnie won it OT, but we left early to beat traffic and get us closer to Appleton, WI where we were staying.

Green Bay and Lambeau

We got up early on Sunday for the relatively short drive to Green Bay. Green Bay seems a lot like Tupelo, if it had an NFL team. Really interesting.

Just like the Sconnie game, my buddy hadn't been in a while and things change. We couldn't get to the Packers HOF without entering the stadium. But, there was tailgating and concessions all around so we had no problem staying occupied. My son and I, both wearing Dak gear, got some Packers gear to wear. We even ran into a Cowboys couple from Fort Worth who travel to games, and got a pic. Before you go in, they have a selfie station where you can grab a pic with the MASSIVE 50-foot Lombardi trophy. That was pretty damn cool.

After a few 10 AM-ish beers and Bloody Mary's, we decided to enter the stadium and go check out the Packers HOF. It was really cool to see, but you gotta pony up $12 per to check it out. I think it was worth it, overall.

It's an old stadium that has had some upgrades. All bench seating, but you can rent a chairback.... which I like. We had amazing seats on about the 35 yard line, and we were in the sun. It was a gorgeous day, but the folks in the shade had to have been freezing. Concessions were really good, and varied though the stadium. Not as much beer selection as I would have thought, but not a huge deal.

The crowd noise was LEGIT. It was real. I go to a couple or more Cowboys games a year, and that is fake noise. This was a lot of fun, and they play this cool old school riff all game long: Plus, they are very, very, very vigilant on when to tell the crowd to make noise and when STFU.... it's playing across the video boards, it was effective and really not a bad idea.

The Wisconsin Experience

After the game, a nailbiter that the Packers won, we headed to my buddies sisters house that was in the vicinity. Leaving the stadium wasn't painless, but not the worst for an NFL experience.

It was dark when we arrived at my buddy's sisters house. We made our introductions, and hung out with the family for a while. Then, they started cooking an amazing Wisconsin feast: deer backstrap that she broiled like a steak, fried walleye, brussels sprouts... everything they cooked was from the fruits of their own labor. Damn... it was amazing.

It was a Sunday night, and even though my son and his buddy were off for the week for Thanksgiving, the daughter of the house had school the next day. Yet, we still played poker until about midnight. I lost my a$$, but at least it wasn't real! It was a really heartwarming experience, and we were glad to have been included.

Headed Home

We ended the night and headed back to our AirBnB. The next morning, we had plans to go see another of our friends relatives, but that all fell through. So, we began our trek back to Midway in Chicago to get home.

On the drive back, my buddy would point out things like "Hey, here is where every Playboy magazine in the world is printed" and "Here is where all cereal boxes are made" at these factories. Wisconsin is a very blue collar state, and they don't let their small towns go without industry. The topography of driving around where we were was so much like the MS Delta... except that they have work for their residents. The people were very much like the folks you'd run into in MS, too... very salt of the earth.

I looked it up on the way back... UW Madison has over a $4B endowment. From what I could tell, few SEC schools even have $1B... That was an eye-opening observation.

Closing

It was a great trip, and I'd recommend both Madison and Green Bay as places to visit for anybody! The elephant in the room, though, is that my buddy had just recently gone into remission from Stage 4 cancer. Even though we never brought it up as a factor for the trip, it was a given that we needed to take our boys on a trip like this. Life is too short.

Just today, he was given the news that the cancer has returned to some spots of where it was before, although it hasn't spread to new areas. He'll have to start chemo again. He's a fighter, and my main concern is that his son that has to worry about this right now during the holiday season.

This guy takes off with his son every summer for camping trips across the country. Been doing it for years, and just got back from one this past weekend. I just want to encourage all of you to never take spending time with your loved ones for granted... memories last forever for the ones you make them with.

I've not had the chance to go to Green Bay but it's on my list of destinations. The HOF entry price seems like a reasonable price for an organization like the Packers.

Could you tell if Packers fans were Badger fans or did they seem to have varied rooting interests when it comes to college football?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I've not had the chance to go to Green Bay but it's on my list of destinations. The HOF entry price seems like a reasonable price for an organization like the Packers.

Could you tell if Packers fans were Badger fans or did they seem to have varied rooting interests when it comes to college football?
The biggest loud mouth at the Packers game had an Ohio State beanie on…. Outside of that, I don’t recall any Winsconsin gear. Packers head to toe.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I really enjoy Wisconsin. Never been to Madison, but work has taken me to Appleton & Green Bay numerous times. I know you hear about Green Bay’s size, but it really is tiny for a pro-Sports team. It would be like the Titans playing in Jackson, TN. And Lambeau really is in the middle of a neighborhood. The bars and breweries around the stadium are really cool. It’s a great scene.

Another great WI spot is Lake Geneva. It’s beautiful. I totally see why the mob would leave Chicago on the weekends for it.

Reactions: eckie1

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Spent a whole lot of time in Milwaukee and Madison and pretty much traveled the whole State back in my working days. The Wisconsin Dells is another place not too far north of Madison that is pretty neat. Some excellent restaurants there. Still have several friends up there and I hope to get back up there to visit one of these days. They do take their deer hunting seriously and I made several enjoyable hunts near the town of Necedah on the yellow river. Excellent walleye fishing in the spring and some interesting “hard water” fishing in the winter. The movie Grumpy Old Men is a pretty accurate description of the life style around there. Seriously cold in the winter but some nice folks around there. They are a bit more direct than southern folks and that takes getting used too, but they don’t mean anything by it. It’s just the way they are.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I really enjoy Wisconsin. Never been to Madison, but work has taken me to Appleton & Green Bay numerous times. I know you hear about Green Bay’s size, but it really is tiny for a pro-Sports team. It would be like the Titans playing in Jackson, TN. And Lambeau really is in the middle of a neighborhood. The bars and breweries around the stadium are really cool. It’s a great scene.

Another great WI spot is Lake Geneva. It’s beautiful. I totally see why the mob would leave Chicago on the weekends for it.
The Wisconsin locals absolutely HATE people from Illinois and based on what I saw in my time up there, they have a good reason to feel that way. People from Chicago go to Wisconsin on the weekends and many have no regard for property lines and personal property. I could write a book of stuff I either saw or heard about regarding people from Illinois. There’s a reason that they call them FIB’s….

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021

Madison, WI

Green Bay and Lambeau

The Wisconsin Experience

Headed Home

Closing

Great stuff. Life is so short, enjoy every moment with those you love the most. Pray that your memories stay strong and be thankful for them. When you lose those you love the most, you realize a lot of this other stuff isn’t all that important.

• Love

patdog

May 28, 2007
What an awesome trip. Never been to either place, but Madison is a great mid size city. I have a cousin who is a professor at UW. She’s fairly athletic as a runner, but she’s been know to ask her class on Monday, “Did we win this weekend?” Lambau would be a bucket list experience

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
The Wisconsin locals absolutely HATE people from Illinois and based on what I saw in my time up there, they have a good reason to feel that way. People from Chicago go to Wisconsin on the weekends and many have no regard for property lines and personal property. I could write a book of stuff I either saw or heard about regarding people from Illinois. There’s a reason that they call them FIB’s….
They don’t seem to like Michiganders, either. Haha.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I've been to the airshow at Oshkosh several times and stayed in Appleton once. The Houdini museum there is pretty cool. We always went to a nice little restaurant called Fin and Feather in Winneconne. It's on a riverboat and they have dinner cruises although we were docked every time I went. One year Buffet was doing a dinner concert on the boat the week after we left. He had his plane Hemisphere Dancer at Oshkosh that year. Asked about Packers pre-season tickets one time and got a chuckle back which was probably the yankee version of "Bless your heart".

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I've been to the airshow at Oshkosh several times and stayed in Appleton once. The Houdini museum there is pretty cool. We always went to a nice little restaurant called Fin and Feather in Winneconne. It's on a riverboat and they have dinner cruises although we were docked every time I went. One year Buffet was doing a dinner concert on the boat the week after we left. He had his plane Hemisphere Dancer at Oshkosh that year. Asked about Packers pre-season tickets one time and got a chuckle back which was probably the yankee version of "Bless your heart".
I heard stories about the air show…. Sounds like it’s pretty epic.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I heard stories about the air show…. Sounds like it’s pretty epic.
Got to meet Tuskegee Airmen and Flying Tigers there. Also went to a presentation by Chuck Yeager. Very entertaining but also very R rated with his language. He was a helluva guy though. He donated his time flying Make A Wish kids in an old Ford tri-motor there every year. I was also at the press conference announcing the competition for the X prize and got to meet Burt Rutan afterwards.

Reactions: eckie1 and patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Madison, WI

Green Bay and Lambeau

The Wisconsin Experience

Headed Home

Closing

My late Father retired to home just north of Madison. The highlight of the year from the mid-80s through the early 2000s was to go from Mississippi and visit him. The people of Wisconsin are great down home folks just like back home in Mississippi. They just had different accents. We took a lot of good-natured ribbing from the Packer folks because we were lifelong Bears fans, but they loved Dad just the same entry him well. my last memory was of a great crowd of Wisconsin folks at his memorial up there in Montello

I hate that we don't ever get to visit that part of the world anymore... it's beautiful country in central Wisconsin.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I can back this up from firsthand experience when I visited Wisconsin. The folks from Chicago were jerks.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
My late Father retired to home just north of Madison. The highlight of the year from the mid-80s through the early 2000s was to go from Mississippi and visit him. The people of Wisconsin are great down home folks just like back home in Mississippi. They just had different accents. We took a lot of good-natured ribbing from the Packer folks because we were lifelong Bears fans, but they loved Dad just the same entry him well. my last memory was of a great crowd of Wisconsin folks at his memorial up there in Montello

I hate that we don't ever get to visit that part of the world anymore... it's beautiful country in central Wisconsin.
We (our company) stayed with a husband and wife who rented out their house for the week and lived in their pop-up in their driveway. This guy had Packer shirts he'd wear around his friends but he was a closet Bears fan. His man-cave basement was nothing but Bears memorabilia.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I've heard Illinois people called FIB and FISH too. Man that goes back to childhood. North Chicago burbs make fun of Wisconsin too.

Wisconsin is Illinois' largest state park.
Chicago is so windy because Wisconsin sucks and Indiana blows.

Etc etc.

Reality is that anyone who actually hates the entirety of a neighboring state has issues.
And reality is that countless people drive down from WI every day to make money in Illinois.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I just want to encourage all of you to never take spending time with your loved ones for granted... memories last forever for the ones you make them with.
Really cool trip to take your kid on. That's awesome.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I can back this up from firsthand experience when I visited Wisconsin. The folks from Chicago were jerks.
My friend in Necedah has some land and a cabin. He loves to bow hunt and is pretty successful with some good bucks. However, when gun season starts he has to spend the whole 9 day season patrolling his property and running FIB’s off that are trespassing. They don’t care whose land they are on, shoot anything, litter, and are destructive thieves. He had a problem with them stealing his deer stands so he put a chain and lock on them. They cut two trees down with a chain saw, cut the tree above and below the chain and stole the stands with a small portion of the tree trunk still attached. When he catches them sitting in his stands many just reply with a 17 you when he ask them to leave. He calls the sheriffs department or the game warden . He calls game wardens the “fish cops”. Yes, there is a good reason for the term FIB.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login