OT: old growth forest in MS

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I don't know if this has ever been discussed on SPS, but I'm curious if anyone knows of any old growth timber stands that are publicly accessible in Mississippi. I grew up in Mississippi but have lived in Nebraska for the last 15 years so I'm badly tree deprived. I'm planning a trip to the Pacific NW this summer to show my kids the redwoods, and that got me thinking about what I might be able to show them back in Mississippi. (My parents have about 30 acres of piney woods in Harrison county, but that was all clear cut back in the early 80s.)

Anyone have any good ideas?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I did my taxes and there was a deduction for Miss Tax about using your land for wild life reserve. Any of you know about that?

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
There are areas of the Noxubee WMA that used to amaze me and make me sit and wonder what the forests used to be like before we showed up and started cutting them down.

Particularly walking through Woodpecker Trail and Trail of Big Trees.

https://www.fws.gov/southeast/pdf/brochure/noxubee-national-wildlife-refuge-trail-guide.pdf

I'll second this. There is some very good stuff at Noxubee. I doubt any of it is old growth, but it's been a very long time since some of it was logged.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Yes! I used to visit that area a LOT when I was at State. Probably the biggest stand of pine trees I saw in MS was not far from there at Lake Forest Ranch. I hope they haven't been cut since I was there (20 years ago).

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I don't know if this has ever been discussed on SPS, but I'm curious if anyone knows of any old growth timber stands that are publicly accessible in Mississippi. I grew up in Mississippi but have lived in Nebraska for the last 15 years so I'm badly tree deprived. I'm planning a trip to the Pacific NW this summer to show my kids the redwoods, and that got me thinking about what I might be able to show them back in Mississippi. (My parents have about 30 acres of piney woods in Harrison county, but that was all clear cut back in the early 80s.)

Anyone have any good ideas?

Really cool... I'm a tree nut, so giving your kids a chance to see/learn about them is amazing.

As Dorn says, Sky Lake is about as good as it gets in MS for old growth. Love those old cypress bottoms. Unfortunately the old growth in most of the state was completely wiped out by WW1. But there are some very nice places to see second growth stuff all over the state. Some really nice hardwood bottoms on Corps land along the Tenn-Tom.

As for the Redwoods, they are unreal. Technically not found in the PNW though. There are a few in very far south Oregon, but if you want to see the Redwoods you have to get into CA. Humboldt State Park south of Eureka is the sweet spot. If you are actually staying in the PNW (WA and OR) Valley of the Giants near Corvallis, OR and Olympic National Park outside of Seattle are amazing with monster doug fir, hemlock, and cedars. Don't sleep on ponderosa pines either, they are massive out west.

Wherever you go, check out the US Forest Service and local universities for events etc. I live in the middle of a National Forest and the HQ is in town. They do all kinds of educational days for kids in the summer.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Really cool... I'm a tree nut, so giving your kids a chance to see/learn about them is amazing.

As Dorn says, Sky Lake is about as good as it gets in MS for old growth. Love those old cypress bottoms. Unfortunately the old growth in most of the state was completely wiped out by WW1. But there are some very nice places to see second growth stuff all over the state. Some really nice hardwood bottoms on Corps land along the Tenn-Tom.

As for the Redwoods, they are unreal. Technically not found in the PNW though. There are a few in very far south Oregon, but if you want to see the Redwoods you have to get into CA. Humboldt State Park south of Eureka is the sweet spot. If you are actually staying in the PNW (WA and OR) Valley of the Giants near Corvallis, OR and Olympic National Park outside of Seattle are amazing with monster doug fir, hemlock, and cedars. Don't sleep on ponderosa pines either, they are massive out west.

Wherever you go, check out the US Forest Service and local universities for events etc. I live in the middle of a National Forest and the HQ is in town. They do all kinds of educational days for kids in the summer.

Great information there. I will expound on a trip I took years ago. Flew into SF and went North to Muir Woods. I highly recommend Muir Woods, this place is beautiful. From there we drove to Yosemite and explored the park. On the southern end of the park you have Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoia's. They are unbelievable. We finished our trip by driving up Hwy 1, going to the golf courses and checking out how the rich folk live. It was a great trip.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Thanks Peewee. I didn't know about the sweetgum forest; I'll have to try to check that out sometime.
I live out of state now, so I'm only back in MS once or twice a year. I see you're in Vburg. I used to live there when I was in 3-5th grade, and have very fond memories of stomping through the woods behind my house, swinging on vines across gullies (and sometimes slamming back into a tree). There are some beautiful forests around there.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Thanks, Socks. You're right about redwoods. We're planning to visit some of my wife's family in OR and WA, but I insisted we start the trip in Northern CA to see the trees. I booked a fairly cheap VRBO cottage right on the Pacific and about 5 mins from Redwoods National and State Parks. Hoping we can make some time to explore other parks in OR and WA, but we're already looking at over 2 weeks factoring in the drive there and back. I'm telling myself that someday my kids will only remember the fun parts of the trip and not the incessant fighting in the car.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I'm no coast rat (anymore) but I'll be down there in March. I'll go check it out if you can promise no one will shoot me!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The prettiest and most interesting forests I've seen in Mississippi and Louisiana are along the banks(and on islands) of the Mississippi river between Vicksburg and Natchez. I would bet the old growth Cottonwoods there are also the largest (not the oldest) trees in the state also.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Godspeed my friend. With kids hopefully you are taking 3 days to drive to Orick/Redwoods from NE. The drive on I-80 from Lincoln to Salt Lake City is the longest, most boring drive I have ever made. And I have done it at least a half dozen times now. Adding in the drive across Nevada would be brutal.

I don't try to push it to SLC anymore. Rock Springs WY is a good stopping point. If you stop there the Hampton Inn has fewer truck drivers and roughnecks than the other hotels in town from my experience.

Sounds like an amazing trip. The hard part will be picking what to see. We almost were going to look at a trip there ourselves this summer. Wanted to take our Airstream to Crater Lake and a few spots along the coast, but decided on going to Vancouver.

Have fun Griswold.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
i worked for the Natchez Trace when I was in High School back in the 80s, and we rebuilt a bunch of the walkway through a place called Cypress Swamp, north of Ridgeland. i don't think the trees were particularly huge, but it is a a unique walk through a cypress forest. Short, like 20 minutes to the end short, but a nice place to take a break on the Trace if it is still there. Used to be a bunch of alligators back there which is pretty cool as well.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
i worked for the Natchez Trace when I was in High School back in the 80s, and we rebuilt a bunch of the walkway through a place called Cypress Swamp, north of Ridgeland. i don't think the trees were particularly huge, but it is a a unique walk through a cypress forest. Short, like 20 minutes to the end short, but a nice place to take a break on the Trace if it is still there. Used to be a bunch of alligators back there which is pretty cool as well.

Cypress Swamp got the **** beat out of it by a tornado/straight line wind event a few years back (I'm sure it was climate change **).

Haven't been through there in a year or more so I'm not sure of the status, but it feels like the Trace has been struggling for financial resources for awhile so I doubt more than the minimum has been done.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Cypress Swamp got the **** beat out of it by a tornado/straight line wind event a few years back (I'm sure it was climate change **).

Haven't been through there in a year or more so I'm not sure of the status, but it feels like the Trace has been struggling for financial resources for awhile so I doubt more than the minimum has been done.
Yes it did, but it's mostly the surrounding pine trees. The actual cypress trees are still there. They were working on it back in 2020 which was the last time I was there. Not sure if finished yet.

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
Thread highjack:

One fact that has always boggled my mind is that the loblolly pine is NOT the most common tree in the US. When I drive around the South, they are so widespread and so dense I have a hard time imagining that there are actually more Red Maples. The maples just have a larger range.

gdogg

Feb 24, 2008
If you are a tree enthusiast, search The American Chestnut on youtube. The story of the tree itself, its eradication (largest environmental disaster to ever hit North America), and now the effort to reforest is very interesting.
I am not a tree nut, just happened upon it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The chestnut blight... Horrible man.

I know some guys from England that have a reclaimed wood business down in San Antonio. They got there hands on some reclaimed chestnut beams out of Ohio and milled it into 23" wide plank flooring for some oil tycoon in west Texas.. several thousand square feet. Sold that flooring for well over $100/sf before instayor finishing.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
We have an oak tree that's over 250 years old. We own about 300 acres in Holmes county. It has been cut many times over the years before we bought it. There is an oak tree that didn't grow very tall as far as oak trees go before it started branching out. I guess that's why it was never cut. My two brothers and I can not reach around it and touch each others hands. The tree guy and a guy with a tree management degree from State both said that it's at least 250 years old. So it's cool to think about all the things that have happened around it. We find arrowheads and pottery when we are disking for the food plots for hunting.

ETA: i 17ed that reply up.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Long *** story, but your tree hits too close to home.

I bought my first house in Dallas in 2011 because of the tree in the front yard, a live oak like you are talking about in size. It was absolutely glorious. Everything I (think I) knew about trees told me this sucker was 150-250 years old. The circumference was over 18' at chest height. Crown had over 100' of span. A simple formula for estimating a live oaks age is 3.5 x diameter at 4' in inches... So 3.5 x 72" = 252 years

The branches were like tree trunks themselves and there were at least 10 of them. I called a local arborist and we had the tree registered as a "significant tree" to protect it if I ever sold the house. He estimated the age similar as I did and had a tree appraiser come by and say it was worth over $200k. I mean, Where else are you going to get a tree that big in Dallas, TX? Man I was proud of my tree.

Fast forward a few years and my next door neighbor has a nearly as impressive red oak. Nowhere near the diameter, but a big, tall, booming 17er. A 120+ year old tree no doubt. About 2015 they started getting mushrooms everywhere in the yard, especially near the tree. They called arborists and experts from everywhere to try to cure their sick tree. After a year or so and losing a huge limb, that just missed their house, they were told it was time to cut the big boy. My tree was perfectly healthy, but it was still nerve racking. Both of our houses were built in the 50's on pier and beam foundations so roots were everywhere, but the houses were good. Our concrete, not so much.

They had a company come remove the tree and it took a week to get it down to just the trunk. When they finally cut the tree down, we went to count the rings... And holy ****, the tree was was 58 years old. Planted 2 years after the house was built.... I was dumbfounded. Every single ring was 3/4" apart for the first 50 years. It slowed when it started getting sick.

Was my big ***, 18+' circumference tree less than 60 years old? Went down the street to see Mr Joe. 88 year old man that lived in the neighborhood since 55'. Remembered everything about them building my house in 56' and there was not a blade of grass in that front yard much less a tree when the house was finished he said. It was planted right after construction. Size of a twig.

To verify, I found a collection of aerial photos at SMU that confirmed it was pasture land in the 40's and you could not even see a resemblance of a tree in 1960 from the air.

It was an old neighborhood and there were plenty of good sized trees, but this sucker and it's red oak buddy blew them all away. Some combination of the soil, sunlight, lack of competition, watering of the lawn, and fertilizing made these trees grow 4-5 times faster than I could have ever imagined.

Ended up selling the house for probably $100k more than it was worth in 2018 to a couple that wanted to tear the house (1600sf) down and build a Mcmansion there because they loved the damn tree.

Long winded, but there is no telling how old a tree is sometimes. If the conditions are right and the competition for resources is low, those suckers are like Andre the Giant.

Pictures of the tree when I replaced sidewalk and driveway in 2017.

View attachment 23837

View attachment 23834

After the yuppies tore down my house to build their big box... And yes, the 17er was an Aggie.

View attachment 23836

Last edited:

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
If you are a tree enthusiast, search The American Chestnut on youtube. The story of the tree itself, its eradication (largest environmental disaster to ever hit North America), and now the effort to reforest is very interesting.
I am not a tree nut, just happened upon it.

Alright, I don’t mind zigzagging with the thread. I’m planning on planting a tree in my backyard this summer. I want something different than the other stuff I see in the neighborhood (90% either maple or ash). Originally was planning on a hickory but started second guessing due to how slow they grow. There is a nursery outside of Lincoln that is selling both American chestnut and American elm, both of which are advertised as immune to the blight and disease that took most of them out. I’m intrigued but somewhat skeptical. Can that be right?

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
Great Tree Story. I'm in Dallas area too. Curious where your big twig is

located in Dallas area...

Long *** story, but your tree hits too close to home.

I bought my first house in Dallas in 2011 because of the tree in the front yard, a live oak like you are talking about in size. It was absolutely glorious. Everything I (think I) knew about trees told me this sucker was 150-250 years old. The circumference was over 18' at chest height. Crown had over 100' of span. A simple formula for estimating a live oaks age is 3.5 x diameter at 4' in inches... So 3.5 x 72" = 252 years

The branches were like tree trunks themselves and there were at least 10 of them. I called a local arborist and we had the tree registered as a "significant tree" to protect it if I ever sold the house. He estimated the age similar as I did and had a tree appraiser come by and say it was worth over $200k. I mean, Where else are you going to get a tree that big in Dallas, TX? Man I was proud of my tree.

Fast forward a few years and my next door neighbor has a nearly as impressive red oak. Nowhere near the diameter, but a big, tall, booming 17er. A 120+ year old tree no doubt. About 2015 they started getting mushrooms everywhere in the yard, especially near the tree. They called arborists and experts from everywhere to try to cure their sick tree. After a year or so and losing a huge limb, that just missed their house, they were told it was time to cut the big boy. My tree was perfectly healthy, but it was still nerve racking. Both of our houses were built in the 50's on pier and beam foundations so roots were everywhere, but the houses were good. Our concrete, not so much.

They had a company come remove the tree and it took a week to get it down to just the trunk. When they finally cut the tree down, we went to count the rings... And holy ****, the tree was was 58 years old. Planted 2 years after the house was built.... I was dumbfounded. Every single ring was 3/4" apart for the first 50 years. It slowed when it started getting sick.

Was my big ***, 18+' circumference tree less than 60 years old? Went down the street to see Mr Joe. 88 year old man that lived in the neighborhood since 55'. Remembered everything about them building my house in 56' and there was not a blade of grass in that front yard much less a tree when the house was finished he said. It was planted right after construction. Size of a twig.

To verify, I found a collection of aerial photos at SMU that confirmed it was pasture land in the 40's and you could not even see a resemblance of a tree in 1960 from the air.

It was an old neighborhood and there were plenty of good sized trees, but this sucker and it's red oak buddy blew them all away. Some combination of the soil, sunlight, lack of competition, watering of the lawn, and fertilizing made these trees grow 4-5 times faster than I could have ever imagined.

Ended up selling the house for probably $100k more than it was worth in 2018 to a couple that wanted to tear the house (1600sf) down and build a Mcmansion there because they loved the damn tree.

Long winded, but there is no telling how old a tree is sometimes. If the conditions are right and the competition for resources is low, those suckers are like Andre the Giant.

Pictures of the tree when I replaced sidewalk and driveway in 2017.

View attachment 23837

View attachment 23834

After the yuppies tore down my house to build their big box... And yes, the 17er was an Aggie.

View attachment 23836

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Over by White Rock Lake. Have not been by in a few years, moved out of state. If you're interested in driving by, just let me know and I will send you the address in a DM.... She's a beaut Clark.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Yes it did, but it's mostly the surrounding pine trees. The actual cypress trees are still there. They were working on it back in 2020 which was the last time I was there. Not sure if finished yet.

It has been reopened. I took the grandbaby for a hike there a few weeks back and the trail is clear. Mostly pine and a few hardwood trees felled by the straight line wind, the cypress survived pretty well.

I have about 60 acres in Attala Co. on the Big Black river that is probably as close to old growth as you will find on privately owned land. There are some trees that two adults would have trouble reaching around. There are a lot of hills and gullies and would be a royal ***** to cut the timber and get it out plus we (my family and I) like the land just the way it is. It ends on a bluff of about 30 feet looking over the Big Black. When the water is low we have a great sandbar on an S bend in the river. I am considering an off grid cabin on the bluff as running utilities would cost a small fortune.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login