OT Old Man Post of the Week: Pickleball

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I know a couple of you guys were Bjorn Borg incarnate back in the day. Have any of yall started playing pickleball? We got 2 of our courts lined for PB back in May and we've been playing a few times a week. We started playing indoors with the olds from the retirement community down the road. They've been playing for years. I'm shocked at the reflexes of some of them. They kick our a$$ at the net. And don't let that old dude be Indian. He'll thoroughly embarrass you at the net.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
I live down in SWFL. It is huge down here, not only with the retireds, but young people as well.

Even the area we used to live in Altanta is converting tennis courts over because of the demand. It really is addicting.

You have these types of business poping us all over as well.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We played Pickleball in a PE class in high school back in '99. Didnt hear about pickleball for almost 2 decades and one day I looked around my metro and thought...

Pickleball courts everywhere- parks, culdesacs, YMCAs, etc.
Multiple active experience sports bars popped up left and right to offer indoor and outdoor pickleball and bags while drinking overpriced beer and eating mediocre bar food.
A forgotten mall now has 13 indoor courts that are open 6am to midnight daily.
A couple large gyms removed tennis courts and installed pickleball courts. 12 of em at one gym now.

Its crazy. But no complaints- if there is the demand, cool. People being active is awesome.

Orthopedic surgeons fully support this craze.

Reactions: HRMSU and aTotal360

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We played Pickleball in a PE class in high school back in '99. Didnt hear about pickleball for almost 2 decades and one day I looked around my metro and thought...

Pickleball courts everywhere- parks, culdesacs, YMCAs, etc.
Multiple active experience sports bars popped up left and right to offer indoor and outdoor pickleball and bags while drinking overpriced beer and eating mediocre bar food.
A forgotten mall now has 13 indoor courts that are open 6am to midnight daily.
A couple large gyms removed tennis courts and installed pickleball courts. 12 of em at one gym now.

Its crazy. But no complaints- if there is the demand, cool. People being active is awesome.

Orthopedic surgeons fully support this craze.
I had the same experience. I went into Academy the other day and they had all types of paddles made out of all this different type material. Back in the 90s we balled out with a wood paddle and wiffle ball.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Played for 1st time over Thanksgiving. It wasn't horrible, but I just don't get how this sport ever caught on as a sport (as a social activity I can see it, but no more than badminton or croquet). I did figure out real quickly that if I just stayed at the back of the court with my niece, her husband was going to kill us, so I started getting to net on everything but my partner's serve. Agree with the golfer, seems like this sport would be hard on knees and backs.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
They kick our a$$ at the net. And don't let that old dude be Indian. He'll thoroughly embarrass you at the net.
Out of curiosity, are they playing by the rules or are they getting all up in the kitchen? If they're hogging the kitchen, you may have to lay down the pickleball law on some fools

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Out of curiosity, are they playing by the rules or are they getting all up in the kitchen? If they're hogging the kitchen, you may have to lay down the pickleball law on some fools
Out of the kitchen. They are sticklers for the rules. These olds will call a foul if you don't announce the score before each serve.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There’s people with lined out pickleball courts in our neighborhood in their driveways and even on a dead end street.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Pickleball did bring one of the funnier rhyming bits of advice I have heard in a long time. A few years ago a friend mentioned her cul-de-sac had pooled money together for a pickleball court and she quickly learned how to determine if a ball should be hit or let go long.

Above the titty no hitty.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
My rebelbearshark GF is addicted to it and plays almost every day. She even takes her paddle on vacation. Vegas, cruises..etc. Of course it doesn't bother me, I get to sleep in on those mornings when she goes to play.

ETA: Even though she denied it to me, apparently she has the reputation of crowding the net and slamming people (male and female) in the nether regions with the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Lebby’s Burner

Nov 13, 2023
I know a couple of you guys were Bjorn Borg incarnate back in the day. Have any of yall started playing pickleball? We got 2 of our courts lined for PB back in May and we've been playing a few times a week. We started playing indoors with the olds from the retirement community down the road. They've been playing for years. I'm shocked at the reflexes of some of them. They kick our a$$ at the net. And don't let that old dude be Indian. He'll thoroughly embarrass you at the net.
It’s always when you least expect it..

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Played for 1st time over Thanksgiving. It wasn't horrible, but I just don't get how this sport ever caught on as a sport (as a social activity I can see it, but no more than badminton or croquet). I did figure out real quickly that if I just stayed at the back of the court with my niece, her husband was going to kill us, so I started getting to net on everything but my partner's serve. Agree with the golfer, seems like this sport would be hard on knees and backs.

I would say that is prolly true, but less so once you learn the game. I was burning about twice the calories when I first started, then you learn where To position yourself and it cuts down on the movement. I still burn a ton of calories, but I also go for every ball I can get.

It is lot easier on the joints at least for than is tennis

Reactions: aTotal360

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I would say that is prolly true, but less so once you learn the game. I was burning about twice the calories when I first started, then you learn where To position yourself and it cuts down on the movement. I still burn a ton of calories, but I also go for every ball I can get.

It is lot easier on the joints at least for than is tennis
We play Tuesday nights from 7-9pm. Typically burn about 800-1100 calories. best investment I made was buying some real tennis shoes instead of playing in cross trainers. Helped my ankles out tremendously.

Reactions: Captain Ron

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
We play Tuesday nights from 7-9pm. Typically burn about 800-1100 calories. best investment I made was buying some real tennis shoes instead of playing in cross trainers. Helped my ankles out tremendously.
Agreed. I played the first few times in cross trainers. I don’t recommend that 🤣

Shoes and a good paddle make a big difference.

Now if I can just find a Bama guy down here that I can destroy….

Reactions: aTotal360

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I played a while but wasn’t getting enough exercise because I was the only person under 50. It’s big here though. I like it better than tennis but less than racquetball and squash

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I am 42, live in NE Florida, and play on Mondays and Wednesdays. It is an addictive sport, and I like to call it a great equalizing sport. Meaning that people of all ages can be on the court at the same time and all still compete at the same level. Because it is more of a strategy game and timing game, you rarely get to over power your opponent like you can in tennis. It also can get real intense while at the kitchen line, and this is where the game is won or lost. Somebody said it above, but good shoes and a good paddle really do make a big difference.

Dont knock it till you try it!

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
I live down in SWFL. It is huge down here, not only with the retireds, but young people as well.

Even the area we used to live in Altanta is converting tennis courts over because of the demand. It really is addicting.

You have these types of business poping us all over as well.

Had no idea places like that are popping up. I enjoy pickleball, but part of the appeal to me is it is absolutely free (other than buying a decent paddle). At $45/hr for a court, might as well join a tennis club or top of the line gym.

Reactions: Captain Ron

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Had no idea places like that are popping up. I enjoy pickleball, but part of the appeal to me is it is absolutely free (other than buying a decent paddle). At $45/hr for a court, might as well join a tennis club or top of the line gym.

Yeah.. that is more of an outing like going to Top Golf Etc. We do the free stuff down here too.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
There's a small percentage of our customers that come in store and you can see it...and hear it if anyone says "pickle". They perk up and get intense glare in their eyes and they talk your ear off for the next 20 minutes about it. Most of them spend some bucks getting decked out with equipment and accessorizing every single bit of their pickle outfit.

The county parks have a few outdoor courts, and are busy converting an old grocery for indoor courts. Crazy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login