OT: Online MBAs

HotDiggityDawg

Dec 14, 2022
Over many years of slowly climbing through my company from a lowly entry level position and step-by-step with a few promotions along the way to middle management I finally feel that I am hitting my head on the ceiling. I am thinking that pursuing a MBA may be what I need to do to continue to move-up and move towards my eventual goals. I would prefer to go in-person, but at this point in my life uprooting myself doesn't really seem that feasible. Even though it would still be possible, not married and no kids. Just wondering if anyone has any input. Are online MBAs worth my time? Or if I decide to pursue an MBA would I be better off biting the bullet and attending a school in person? I know that there are a lot smart people on this board and a lot of people who think they are really smart on this board. Any advice is appreciated. GO DAWGS!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Over many years of slowly climbing through my company from a lowly entry level position and step-by-step with a few promotions along the way to middle management I finally feel that I am hitting my head on the ceiling. I am thinking that pursuing a MBA may be what I need to do to continue to move-up and move towards my eventual goals. I would prefer to go in-person, but at this point in my life uprooting myself doesn't really seem that feasible. Even though it would still be possible, not married and no kids. Just wondering if anyone has any input. Are online MBAs worth my time? Or if I decide to pursue an MBA would I be better off biting the bullet and attending a school in person? I know that there are a lot smart people on this board and a lot of people who think they are really smart on this board. Any advice is appreciated. GO DAWGS!
Depends on what line of work you're in IMO.

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
Not sure where you live but you should look at promotions externally. Typically being promoted internally over a lot of years has a lot of constraints on your comp long term.

Reactions: HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Executive MBA programs can be very expensive but can give you the opportunity to feasibly attend class while still working. Also, excellent way to network with peers or one overs.

Polygonal

Sep 29, 2014
You may want to consider an Executive MBA program. Those usually have in-person meetings one weekend a month. The rest is virtual/online. But, as someone else said, the best path for you may depend on your career field. I’ve seen the Executive MBA work very well for engineers moving more into management.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Quit being loyal to one company and look externally. You'll find your true worth.

Reactions: oxdawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Lots of variables.

1. Do you need an MBA to better understand your work? An undergrad business degree vs an engineering degree... I don't know that you will learn a ton with an online MBA if you have 40+ hours of undergrad business classes.

2. All MBA's are not created equal. If you are trying to get an IB job on wall street it has to be full time at a top 20 B-school. If you work for the gubment it can be an online MBA from Cracker Jack U and it means the same.

3. Case studies are the most valuable educational part of an MBA in my opinion. I remember at State back in the day an MBA was basically one year of mostly regular classes. There were tons of classes where it was 4000/5000 and mixed between undergrads and grads. Not much value in that compared to 2 years of graduate student only, case study focused coursework at a top B-school.

4. As many others will say, it's almost not worth the effort if you're just trying to move up internally. I had my employer pay for mine at what was a top tier b school at the time. It was in person but nights and weekends so I could keep working. The case studies were good practical application and by far the most value I received was the networking. I never once got treated any different at my existing job at a Fortune 500 company after B-school. It's on my resume now but is nothing that even comes up in interviews to be honest.

5. Only 22% of CEOs worldwide have an MBA. So 80% don't. It's must have in finance. It's great if you want to go from a technical field into the boardroom without any business education. But it's not critical for most.

6. Who you know is almost universally more important t when it comes to promotions than what you know.

7. With all these points combined, I would place the most value in the MBA on the networking effect. I met my best friend in B-school. I have other really solid contacts that I could use to break glass in case of emergency. But I was in my late 20's when I went and later decided I have no interest in pursuing a career path where value might be placed on it. Funny enough, at the same time just over 10 years ago, my wife had no ambitions of climbing corporate ladders. She ended up making a few solid connections and doing good work and is now an executive with a big public company. She leapfrogged everyone I know by making strategic external moves and coming through for a few powerbrokers in her field. She hasn't taken a single hour since getting her undergrad degree. Nor has her CEO.

My overall take is there's very little value in an online MBA unless you are up for a role that 100% requires it with zero qualifications in where it comes from. From a practical standpoint, you can self learn almost everything you'll be exposed to in any MBA program in half the time with a handful of good books. The value comes in networking and working with teams if people to solve problems (case studies) like you will in the real world.

I'd rank it like this:

Full-time MBA
Executive MBA
Part-time MBA
Online MBA

Within that you'd rather have an EMBA or PMBA from Texas or Michigan than a full time MBA from most schools. Most of the MBA value lies in perception and "online" doesn't ring high on that meter.

Last edited:

HotDiggityDawg

Dec 14, 2022
Not sure where you live but you should look at promotions externally. Typically being promoted internally over a lot of years has a lot of constraints on your comp long term.

I appreciate the advice. Over the years when I have become frustrated at my job and ready to move they have ended up offering me a promotion of some kind or reason to keep me around.
Lots of variables.

1. Do you need an MBA to better understand your work? An undergrad business degree vs an engineering degree... I don't know that you will learn a ton with an online MBA if you have 40+ hours of undergrad business classes.

2. All MBA's are not created equal. If you are trying to get an IB job on wall street it has to be full time at a top 20 B-school. If you work for the gubment it can be an online MBA from Cracker Jack U and it means the same.

3. Case studies are the most valuable educational part of an MBA in my opinion. I remember at State back in the day an MBA was basically one year of mostly regular classes. There were tons of classes where it was 4000/5000 and mixed between undergrads and grads. Not much value in that compared to 2 years of graduate student only, case study focused coursework at a top B-school.

4. As many others will say, it's almost not worth the effort if you're just trying to move up internally. I had my employer pay for mine at what was a top tier b school at the time. It was in person but nights and weekends so I could keep working. The case studies were good practical application and by far the most value I received was the networking. I never once got treated any different at my existing job at a Fortune 500 company after B-school. It's on my resume now but is nothing that even comes up in interviews to be honest.

5. Only 22% of CEOs worldwide have an MBA. So 80% don't. It's must have in finance. It's great if you want to go from a technical field into the boardroom without any business education. But it's not critical for most.

6. Who you know is almost universally more important t when it comes to promotions than what you know.

7. With all these points combined, I would place the most value in the MBA on the networking effect. I met my best friend in B-school. I have other really solid contacts that I could use to break glass in case of emergency. But I was in my late 20's when I went and later decided I have no interest in pursuing a career path where value might be placed on it. Funny enough, at the same time just over 10 years ago, my wife had no ambitions of climbing corporate ladders. She ended up making a few solid connections and doing good work and is now an executive with a big public company. She leapfrogged everyone I know by making strategic external moves and coming through for a few powerbrokers in her field. She hasn't taken a single hour since getting her undergrad degree. Nor has her CEO.

My overall take is there's very little value in an online MBA unless you are up for a role that 100% requires it with zero qualifications in where it comes from. From a practical standpoint, you can self learn almost everything you'll be exposed to in any MBA program in half the time with a handful of good books. The value comes in networking and working with teams if people to solve problems (case studies) like you will in the real world.

I'd rank it like this:

Full-time MBA
Executive MBA
Part-time MBA
Online MBA

Within that you'd rather have an EMBA or PMBA from Texas or Michigan than a full time MBA from most schools. Most of the MBA value lies in perception and "online" doesn't ring high on that meter.

Thanks for taking the time to type that all out. Definitely some solid advice.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
About to start an online one. Working in mid management engineering and science. It is allowing me to go around my schedule. We will see how good it is. We will see if it actually helps out or not.
ETA
I got a masters in my science field a few years ago. Didn't really help much other than just more training in my field. As far as moving up the ladder in management didn't help.

working on internal leadership programs also. Also swapped offices to help move for more opportunities which I feel like is important in not getting stagnant and hitting your ceiling. I've gotten more opportunities since changing offices so definitely consider that.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Don't know a ton about MBA specifically, but I've been a professional in higher ed for 30 years. Online programs were mostly ****** diploma mills designed to vacuum up government loan money through the 90's, and were pretty much the mark of the beast when they showed up on your transcript. The feds cracked down on that big-time in the 2000s, bringing in a set of criteria necessary to qualify for fed student loans that put most of them out of business (thanks Obama!).
At the same time, traditional student numbers started tanking, and are on pace to continue to fall off a cliff. As a result, a lot of good schools, including many state schools, recognized the need to offer educational programs to non-traditional and adult students who don't have the ability to attend full time on-campus. So, we're now at a point where there are a lot of high-quality online and hybrid undergrad and graduate programs available, often offered by well-regarded state and private institutions, taught by the same professors, where the degree is equivalent to what you'd get from an in-person program.
Evaluate your options based on your purpose for the degree. Are you just needing the letters, or is there specialized knowledge that you need to make the next step? How well is the program ranked, particularly for your specialty area? For example, an MBA from UT Knoxville is fine, but their MBA logistics program is considered top 5, so if that's your field a degree from there will carry some weight, and people in the field would likely both understand that and may have a degree from the same institution, which can be a good thing. Talk to a few people who are doing the work you want to do and get a feel for what kind of credentials they have, and to what degree those were instrumental in them getting to that position. Good luck.

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
Companies that put their hipo employees through an MBA program mainly do it for retention reasons and not necessarily the value an MBA brings to their productivity or performance. Some good thoughts in this thread so far.

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
Last comment: if your boss or your bosses boss is pushing you to do it or giving you the idea, I would definitely take them up on it. Otherwise, unless you want to make a move outside of the company it might not be a good ROI for you. I would also consider how many more levels you have in your organization to move up. If there is a possibility of moving up 2+ levels or more, it might be worth considering. Good luck 🫡

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login