OT: Ooni pizza oven

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Do you know if his is charcoal, gas, or pellets?

I've been looking into them too. Trying to justify the expense to myself. Make your own pizza night is a weekly staple at our house and I've cooked pizza on my grill a few times (with varying levels of success).

dawglurker

Jul 13, 2017
Have the Fyra 12. Love the pizzas that come off of it. They cook in about 90 seconds. Big difference in flavor of the dough when cooked that hot and quickly versus an oven.

If buying again, I would do the Koda over the Fyra. I'm not sold on the smoke flavor making it to the pizza within that time frame. So, I would prefer the ease of gas with the Koda versus pellet.

There are recipes out there for pizza oven dough. Would recommend one of those. There's definitely a learning curve in finding the dough recipe you like, cooking and the transition from peel to stone. Made a few accidental calzones.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Saw my neighbor using his, and it inspired me to get one at Hammerbarn. Best pizza I’ve ever made. Has loads of BTUs. Only hiccup was when my kids had a meltdown in the store over a garden gnome.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I got the wood fire one for Christmas. It cooks pizza very fast. A little over a minute.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Gas. He says his friends with wood/pellets don't use them as often because it isn't convenient. He's always making pizzas.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
have a friend who insists I need one. Love his. That's all I got.

I heard the insurrectionists used them to seize control of the gub'mint on 6 Jan 2021 and start the process of inflation, supply chain issues, monkey pox and the Russian/Ukraine war.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I heard the insurrectionists used them to seize control of the gub'mint on 6 Jan 2021 and start the process of inflation, supply chain issues, monkey pox and the Russian/Ukraine war.

You’re annoying

af102

May 17, 2009
I have an Ooni Koda 16 that uses gas. I use propane tanks right now, but may convert it to natural gas if I ever get a line run to my deck.

We use it at least twice a month, and there are some months that it is a once a week pizza night thing. I've done huge family events at the beach where we made 16 15" pizzas over the course of 2 hours, and I have fired it up to cook 2 pizzas out of dough I had in the freezer for a single family dinner.

It's definitely expensive, but it makes really good pizza once you figure out how to do it correctly. You need to get a laser thermometer that goes up to 1000F so you can make sure your stone is hot enough in the middle of the over (~600F for my liking). The back of the over will fail to read at that point because it will be over 1000F.

I also have 2 pizza peels- one is the biggest one that will still fit in my oven and is only used for putting pizzas in the oven, and the other is smaller and used for turning/pulling them out. It's much easier to launch pizzas successfully if your peel isn't warm, and you can also have multiple people building/cooking pizzas with 2 peels.

A friend had some of those pizza screens that Dominos/Papa Johns cook their pizzas on, and those are really handy to throw the pizzas on once you pull them out of the pizza oven. I usually put them in the regular oven on the warm setting if we aren't eating it immediately. You can also cook on those if you want to make a bunch ahead of time, but the crust isn't as good.

Last tip- order double zero (00) flour on amazon. It's what the Italian pizza places use, and it is the best.

I'll answer an questions you might have.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Green egg
Pellet grill
Pizza oven
Gas grill
Black stone grill
Sous Vide
Air fryer
Instapot
Crockpot
Netipot

Everyone needs these and more

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
Consider moving to a steak and pizza oven. With the right cooking equipment, you can sear steaks at 800 degrees.

I bought a Dutton last December and it’s great for cooking steaks.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
I have the gas model. Wouldnt trade it for the world

You just have to acknowledge there is a learning curve and youre going to light 3-4 up until you figure it out

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Friend had the pellet one, hated it because to get it hot enough took gobs of pellets. Sounds like the gas ones are nice - likely much faster and more efficient to reach temp. Curious if anybody has the charcoal/wood one.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
Any help/recipes with pizza dough would be appreciated. I can never get them off the peel with sticking and making a mess.

Ooni looks interesting. What do you use for fuel in the wood fired version?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Any help/recipes with pizza dough would be appreciated. I can never get them off the peel with sticking and making a mess.

Ooni looks interesting. What do you use for fuel in the wood fired version?

2 things that helped me: 1) put some semolina flour on the pizza peel, not a ton just enough to help the pizza slide off. 2) make the pizza on the peel and work quickly… it also helps to slide the pizza around on the peel a little bit

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
A handful of cornmeal on the peel or pizza stone works great for keeping it from sticking and gives a little crunch to the crust. Semolina will work too, I just always have cornmeal and not necessarily semolina.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't have a problem w/ an Ooni, other than price which led me to this.

My name is Peeper and I have a problem, I'm a grillaholic. I have a lot of grills, more grills than fire ants I think. I rescue grills off the side of the road often, repair them, part them out, give them away, etc. I have a rescue Weber Kettle that I turned into a pizza oven and it cost nowhere near the $350-$800 that Oonis do and it does a great job. You can buy a kit off Amazon to fit a 22" Weber or cut a 55 gal drum cut right at the first flare on the body and it fits perfectly over a 22" Weber. I build the fire at the rear of the grill using lump charcoal in 2 baskets. Put 2 bricks on the grill grate (keeps crust from getting too done) and a pizza stone on top of the bricks. Standard Weber thermometers only go up to 600 degrees and mine will peg at that and more, never checked to see how hot it does get but its plenty to have a pizza done in about 6-8 minutes depending on crust. Preheat the stone and add a little cornmeal to it, slide the pie on w/ a pizza peel and enjoy w/ a cold malty hoppy beverage

Amazon Kit, most are around $125-$175

View attachment 24570

Homemade w/ barrel insert:

af102

May 17, 2009
I’ve tried a bunch of different recipes, but have settled on just using the PizzApp to do all my math for me. I use their Neapolitan ratios with 61% water and 3% salt. The yeast amounts change depending on how long you are letting it rise at room temp or in the fridge. I think a 24 hour ferment in the fridge followed by like 4-6 hours at room temp is the best method for me. The ball sizes I use are either 275 or 300 grams. Get a kitchen scale.

Weigh out warm water, dissolve yeast for 3-5 min, start adding a little flower at a time while mixer is on lower setting. Once you get about half the flower in, add the salt, turn up the mixer to medium-high, and add the rest of the flower. Let it knead in the mixer for a few minutes.

If your pizzas are sticking to the peel, the obvious solution is using more flour/cornmeal/semolina to the bottom of the pizza and/or the peel. I also recommend not building your pizza on the peel. I do mine straight on my countertop and then pull/slide the whole thing onto the peel. You want to have the pizza in the peel for only the amount of time it takes to get from your assembly area to the pizza oven.

If I’m cooking more than 5 pizzas, I pretty much plan to have one that sticks. If I see that it isn’t sliding off the peel, I’ll just fold it over into a big calzone. I sometimes take it back inside and work it off the peel to reflour the bottom.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login