OT: Orange Beach/Gulfshores

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Family has a 4 day weekend in early October and I wanted some recommendations from you guys on condos, beach houses, etc... to stay in the Orange Beach area. Also, is it worth the extra drive out to Fort Morgan? Any recommendations there also would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Don’t go to Ft Morgan unless you want to play Kiva Dunes and definitely don’t stay there especially with kids. There isn’t much out that way (restaurants or stuff to do) and the water is dirtier because it’s close to Mobile Bay and the river discharges that come out of it.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
We stayed at Four Seasons condos in Orange Beach in June. Loved it. First time really staying in Orange Beach. In the past we have been more Gulf Shores, but I now prefer Orange Beach. Nicer/newer condos. Less crowded it seemed. Already planning to go back next year and hopefully get the same condo.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Don’t go to Ft Morgan unless you want to play Kiva Dunes and definitely don’t stay there especially with kids. There isn’t much out that way (restaurants or stuff to do) and the water is dirtier because it’s close to Mobile Bay and the river discharges that come out of it.

We stay at the Beach Club every year in mid to late August. It can be hot or miss on water but Beach is awesome and plenty of pools including a resort pool with food/bar service. 3 out of the last 4 years we've had at least 4 out of 7 days of visibility in the water from shoulders/waist down. It cost more than most condos but it keeps the riff raff out. 2 food trucks at the front of the property along with a sports bar/restaurant. They also have a nice restaurant at the clubhouse which I think is a little overpriced.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Look at Beach Village on Perdido Beach Blvd. individual two bedroom houses across the street from the beach. Nice pool and lazy river. Joins the state park in rear if you want to ride bikes. Simpson Properties manages it. Rates have dropped for after Labor Day. It's in OB close to the state park.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
We stay at the Beach Club every year in mid to late August. It can be hot or miss on water but Beach is awesome and plenty of pools including a resort pool with food/bar service. 3 out of the last 4 years we've had at least 4 out of 7 days of visibility in the water from shoulders/waist down. It cost more than most condos but it keeps the riff raff out. 2 food trucks at the front of the property along with a sports bar/restaurant. They also have a nice restaurant at the clubhouse which I think is a little overpriced.
My cousin owns the Frost Bites trailer there. Good stuff. Our kids are all older now, but we go to Ft Morgan every year. It reminds me of Destin back in the late 70's/early 80's. Sparse crowds, quiet, clean, and you can set up your spot on the beach and don't have to take it down every night. 15 years of going and never had anything stolen.

Reactions: HRMSU

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Family has a 4 day weekend in early October and I wanted some recommendations from you guys on condos, beach houses, etc... to stay in the Orange Beach area. Also, is it worth the extra drive out to Fort Morgan? Any recommendations there also would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
We stayed at the Lost Key golf/resort last year. You get a "membership" with your condo rental. Still have to pay ~$30 per round for cart fee but place was nice and the golf was challenging but beautiful (there are gators in the water so be careful).

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Phoenix West, Phoenix West II, Phoenix Orange Beach and Phoenix Orange Beach II all have lazy rivers on beach side, so that’s great for kids. Turquoise is nice, but their lazy river is roadside and on the 4th floor, so kids can’t bounce between beach, pools and river as easily there.

Eat at Big Fish, Fisherman’s Corner and Sunday brunch at Cobalt, where the bloody Mary’s are really good.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I did lose more golf balls there than the last 10 places I'd played before. Quite a few blind shots on that course. Still played it multiple times and enjoyed.
I played it a couple of weeks ago and it was in the best shape of any course I think I've ever played on. It was perfect. Fairways are so narrow and out of bounds is inaccessible. Guy that I play with never takes his driver out of the bag , just plays irons.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
October is the perfect month down here. Just warm enough weather to enjoy the water, while not being hot. Zero crowds anywhere so stay wherever you please
It's going to be more crowded this year in October as several MS district have a fall break. And going to the beach.

Still not Summer crowds, but more than in the past.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
My cousin owns the Frost Bites trailer there. Good stuff. Our kids are all older now, but we go to Ft Morgan every year. It reminds me of Destin back in the late 70's/early 80's. Sparse crowds, quiet, clean, and you can set up your spot on the beach and don't have to take it down every night. 15 years of going and never had anything stolen.

Tell your cousin we love Frost Bites.... my daughter wears it out every night we are down there!

Reactions: Dawgpile

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Only problem with Ft. Morgan is all the oil rigs everywhere. And, they don't have a lot of garbage cans around on the beach, so there is always some litter.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It reminds me of Destin back in the late 70's/early 80's.
Ahhhh, the good old days of Green Knight Liquor. Whatever happened to that big damn thing?

Edited, because I found a picture online of it. One comment said it lasted until the early 90's

1692115250782.png

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
October is the perfect month down here. Just warm enough weather to enjoy the water, while not being hot. Zero crowds anywhere so stay wherever you please
We had a trip planned down there in October a few years ago with a house reservation and everything ready to drive over from Texas. Only problem was a little hurricane came along and canceled our trip

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It's going to be more crowded this year in October as several MS district have a fall break. And going to the beach.

Still not Summer crowds, but more than in the past.
Yeah, I’m not sure about OB, but I know the vacation crowds have started to spill over way into October from Pensacola to Destin. It’s normally people with either young or no kids but it’s definitely picked up the last couple of years. We used to be able to go to Opal Beach in between Navarre and Pensacola Beach in October and there would be maybe 20 cars mostly local and either kayakers or fishermen, but last year the parking lot was packed with half and half locals and non locals.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Echo others. Fort morgen is more secluded. The water is not as clear. Just depends on what you want. It's really busy around the phoenix area. Quieter on some of the gulf shores condos. Try to find a smaller condo

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
If the wind is out of the south or west, it can get muddy. It it is coming out of the east or north it should be fine. There is a second Jessie's down toward Ft. Morgan now.

As far as stuff to do you can walk on the ferry and take the kids to Dauphin Island for the estuarium there.

Reactions: mcdawg22

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Foley has an indoor water park and a fairly new amusement park with roller coaster. If you are going to Ft Morgan, you might as well ride the ferry over to the other fort on Dauphin Island.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
We stayed at Four Seasons condos in Orange Beach in June. Loved it. First time really staying in Orange Beach. In the past we have been more Gulf Shores, but I now prefer Orange Beach. Nicer/newer condos. Less crowded it seemed. Already planning to go back next year and hopefully get the same condo.
The added benefit of the Four Seasons is the fishing pier.
Caught some flounder there the couple of times I’ve stayed there.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Foley has an indoor water park and a fairly new amusement park with roller coaster. If you are going to Ft Morgan, you might as well ride the ferry over to the other fort on Dauphin Island.
I’ll warn people about the Waterpark. We are season pass holders and have been several times. When it first opened it was fine. When we went a couple of times early this year the water on several rides and the kids area were freezing. We went twice during the Spring 2 slides were closed because of no lifeguards. Summer had lifeguards but it was so packed you couldn’t even get tubes for some rides because they ran out. If you have little kids, the amusement park is great because there are rarely lines for the rides that they will like. Also if you want to go to the Waterpark you have to pay for both but not vice versa.

Reactions: GloryDawg

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Did you fish off their pier? We have family with a unit there and it is nice.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
We stayed at the Lost Key golf/resort last year. You get a "membership" with your condo rental. Still have to pay ~$30 per round for cart fee but place was nice and the golf was challenging but beautiful (there are gators in the water so be careful).
$30 for the round and $100 worth of golf balls to get through it.

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
We have stayed at Turquoise Place in OB a couple of times. It has several pools and a lazy river. Alot of the balconies have a gas grill and I believe all the balconies have a hot tub. You can get a 3 BR condo with 2 primary suites and each condo had an ensuite. Really nice condos.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
The last 8 years we spend Thanksgiving week at Orange Beach. It really spoils you, no lines, very few people on the beach. Our teenage boys still get in the water but it’s too cold for me. The weather has always been great, minus one year. Not sure if I will ever go back in summer.

Reactions: dorndawg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
The new Coastal in Orange Beach is great and it seems to keep expanding. Only been twice but I could see watching football games there on Saturday and Sunday being an awesome time.
The only thing semi-remotely close to that I think is Bud and Alleys in Seagrove and that’s a stretch but it’s on the water and there’s multiple TV’s.
Watched our game against Bowling Green from there last year but doing so from Coastal would be awesome I think.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Phoenix West, Phoenix West II, Phoenix Orange Beach and Phoenix Orange Beach II all have lazy rivers on beach side, so that’s great for kids. Turquoise is nice, but their lazy river is roadside and on the 4th floor, so kids can’t bounce between beach, pools and river as easily there.

Eat at Big Fish, Fisherman’s Corner and Sunday brunch at Cobalt, where the bloody Mary’s are really good.
Turquoise places lazy river being on the north side also means it’s colder earlier as it spend a good bit of time in the shade from the condos. I’ve been there last week of September once and it was too cold for me.

if you make sure you get a condo with a hot tub on the balconies though, that is pretty awesome fall evenings if it’s a little on the cooler side.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Thanks in advance
Really depends on what you want to do.
For Morgan is great if you only want to play kiva dunes and peninsula and sit on the beach and don’t care about having clear water. Beach club, Martinique, and kiva dunes are all great. Kiva dunes has a cool beach front pool and grill area, the club house has a decent breakfast and lunch, and then Sassy bass at plantation is solid, and so is the restaurant at the beach club, so there are at least some restaurant options out there.

orange beach is nice also. More bars and restaurants. Lost ball is close. Clearer water although still pretty hit and miss. Not a huge difference from fort Morgan as far as getting to gulf shores or foley where a lot of the touristy things are. Wharf is close.

gulf shores to me would be third choice. If you get into the west end, you do get to some pretty nice beach houses that will probably be affordable in October. You will have the beach to yourself in front of some of them in October, which is nice although I’m not sure it will be that much less crowded than fort Morgan. And if you do the condos they will mostly just be older and less nice than the orange beach ones although that’s obviously condo specific.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I will throw this out there in case the actual Gulf Beach is not a concern. Phoenix on The Bay is a gorgeous condo with a lazy River, and a waterslide. You can catch a bunch of pinfish, and a few trout off of their pier. The cost is significantly less than Phoenixes on the Gulf with same condo spaces. Again this is only if you don’t care about having Gulf Front property.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login