OT: Outboard motor repair in Memphis area

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have a 2011 Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke motor. We did not use it as much these past 2 or 3 years. This year it will not spin up to full RPMs under load. It maxes out at 3000. I have replaced the gas, cleaned the filter, replaced the 3 spark plugs (the old ones were pretty fouled up), used seafoam spray to clean the carbs. Next step would be to rebuild the carbs, which is something I am hesitant to tackle.

Any recommendations in North MS / Memphis area for a mechanic who can get me fixed up?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
motorboating GIF

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Can't help you with service but it sounds like it's running rich and loading up at higher rpm's. Check the air filter and the entire system for air access. A strategically placed dirt dauber nest or spider nest will starve an engine of air. High speed jets could be stopped up too.

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
Look at the fuel lines...Mercs are notorious about disentegrating lines on the interior. (I only know this because my mechanic told me!) Had a 40 that was doing the same thing at top end, he rebuilt the fuel lines and it runs like new!

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Look at the fuel lines...Mercs are notorious about disentegrating lines on the interior. (I only know this because my mechanic told me!) Had a 40 that was doing the same thing at top end, he rebuilt the fuel lines and it runs like new!
This. Definitely this. We have 4 Mercs of various sizes and ages and have to replace the interior fuel lines on all of them.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yep. Ethanol-free fuel, people.
I was replacing fuel lines and primer bulbs in all of my 2 stroke engines EVERY summer. Since I started using the Non-Ethanol, havent replaced one in the last 3 or 4 years. That crap eats rubber stuff up

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I have a 2011 Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke motor. We did not use it as much these past 2 or 3 years. This year it will not spin up to full RPMs under load. It maxes out at 3000. I have replaced the gas, cleaned the filter, replaced the 3 spark plugs (the old ones were pretty fouled up), used seafoam spray to clean the carbs. Next step would be to rebuild the carbs, which is something I am hesitant to tackle.

Any recommendations in North MS / Memphis area for a mechanic who can get me fixed up?
May also want to look at throttle cable. They can stretch/give over time. May just need adjusting.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Might as well find a good shop and let them rebuild those carbs. Worst thing you can do to a 2 stroke engine is not run it enough. Or you may find some reman carbs cheap.

Last edited:

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
A friend of mine uses Mid-South Marine in Byhaila for his ski boat. You may also want to call Westwing Marine they are a small shop that mainly does fiberglass repair but also does minor outboard work. The problem will be finding a shop that doesn't have a huge backlog this time of year.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012

I'm trying to figure out how to PM
I have a number for you of someone in the Southaven/Olive Branch area.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

I think there’s a shop on 304 in Eudora?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login