OT: Owning an AirBNB in Starkville

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
I'm looking to buy a house in Starkville for a second home, but would like to AirBNB it when I am not there. Are there any on the board who do this? I know location and price make this a broad question, but what kind of occupancy do you see on AirBNB's there? Does it drop off to nothing outside of football and baseball season?

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Make sure you insure it properly. Some companies would deem that business or commercial exposure and could deny a claim should a liability loss occur. Just wanted you to be aware.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Haven’t heard anything on it in a while, but the board of aldermen/mayor were at one point waging war on airbnb in Starkville. Expensive permits, annual maximum number of nights, that kind of thing.

nsvltndog

Mar 30, 2010
I would start by going to the airbnb and vrbo website or app and searching properties. Pick some that look like what you might want to buy and then start searching their calendars to see how well they are booking and how their rates fluctuate during peak and off-peak times. The easiest and highest dollar times to rent are when you will be most likely to be using it yourself.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I own a condo outside of the city limits, I understand property taxes are much higher inside the city. I don't rent mine, but my neighbor does, it's booked regularly, even outside of graduation and sporting events.

STLDawg

Apr 16, 2017
Between Leech and Lemones destroying our programs’ competitive cultures, this is not the time I’d be acquiring Starkville property.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login