OT - Panhandlers in 'Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Saturday, I shopped at Lowes and Krogers, when turning off of HWY 12 into the parking lot there was a gentleman with an amputated foot, and when leaving there was a lady panhandling. I don't remember panhandlers in the past. Is this new?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Saturday, I shopped at Lowes and Krogers, when turning off of HWY 12 into the parking lot there was a gentleman with an amputated foot, and when leaving there was a lady panhandling. I don't remember panhandlers in the past. Is this new?
I opened this thread expecting to be able to talk a lot about Las Vegas, my favorite place in the world

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I don't know about Starkville, but I have noticed this type of thing becoming common in places that it was non-existent a decade ago. No clue what has changed - drugs / opioids / fentanyl would be my guess if I had to speculate.
I basically quit going to Walmart over this. Cheaper prices wasn't worth being hit up twice thru the parking lot.

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I’m always impressed by how dedicated some of them are. There was a team that was at the same intersection I used to drive buy on the way to work. They were on time everyday. Way more dependable than some of my coworkers.
I used to live near a lake growing up. The people who fished all the time knew exactly where the honey holes were, and what time they needed to get out there in the mornings to claim those spots.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
It’s pretty crazy. I see the same guys on the same corners every day on my commute home. I recently had a young guy approach me in the back of a gas station and ask for some gas money and that he was stranded there. I declined and after a few other attempts, he jumped in a car full of other young guys and sped off.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It’s pretty crazy. I see the same guys on the same corners every day on my commute home. I recently had a young guy approach me in the back of a gas station and ask for some gas money and that he was stranded there. I declined and after a few other attempts, he jumped in a car full of other young guys and sped off.
They like to roam grocery store parking lots in high-end areas here in the Nashville area. Pleading they need bus/gas money to get to a hospital to see a sick relative. It’s funny how hard lazy people will work to not get an actual job.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If it's left open long enough I bet one of the local geniuses will solve a millennium-long problem with a just brief sentence or two.
Gotcha covered. Outlaw panhandling except in designated area. Locate soup kitchen, shelter, and governemnt entities and nonprofits aimed at homeless and poverty in designated area. People panhandling in front of businesses that pay extra taxes/donation/extortion to support services in designated area get a police ride to ten miles out of town on the most deserted road available. Second offense they get blind folded and ridden in circles before getting dropped off on different road. Problem solved.**

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
What’s next in Vegas… a living statue and crusty jugglers!?

…….crusty jugglers……

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Saw one the other day in Huntsville with, presumably, his daughter. Had a sign that said “have kid and no food or shelter, need help” or something similar.

Then I looked over and saw the probably 7 or 8 year old daughter playing on her iPhone.
In today's society iPhones are a god given birth right.

• Haha
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Then explain Mobile, Pensacola, Santa Rosa County , Ft Walton, Destin, Miami, or any mid to large size city in a strong Republican state.
I can't answer for larger cities because of sheer numbers. My little town has 0 panhandlers. I spoke to our mayor and chief of popo in our little town about ordinances that would keep it that way. The chief said that those ordindances would be unlawful but assured me that there are ways to make them feel uncomfortable (bringing drug dogs around and such) so they go find a more hospitable spot elsewhere.

In contrast, Fayetteville (a mile or so away) has tons of panhandlers - multiples on every corner, at walmart, everywhere. They work on a rotation at the different spots. Why, because the city of Fayetteville make them feel welcome. Fayetteville has multiple housing opportunities for homeless, free meals 3xday, phones, etc. "Homeless" and panhandlers from other states travel to Fayetteville because the city takes such good care of them. Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars per year budgeted for it.

So, my suggestion is to wear out your city officials and let them know your money is gonna go elsewhere until they fix the issue. If the city gets serious about making them uncomfortable, they will move on to somewhere else. Just don't send any more of them up here.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Meridian passed an ordnance making it illegal to pass material from a vehicle or something to that effect. I guess it is a passive aggressive way to deal with panhandling by not putting the burden on the individual but on the public. Not sure how effective it is but I have heard they still have a problem.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
I’m always impressed by how dedicated some of them are. There was a team that was at the same intersection I used to drive buy on the way to work. They were on time everyday. Way more dependable than some of my coworkers.
Our son lived in Memphis. There were about 4 or 5 people that lived in a house a couple of blocks away. Every morning, just like going to work, they would walk by going to a couple of busy intersections nearby that had neutral grounds. They would panhandle all day and then walk back home. That was their jobs.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
That guy with one foot has been around for a few years now. I've also seen a Mexican family out there, but like another poster said the kids were sitting there on their phones while the adults beg for money. So to answer your question they've been an issue for a few years now and some will approach you in the parking lot. I now rarely let my wife go to Walmart or other stores alone. I'll drop her off at the door and when she's finished she'll text me and I'll drive up to the door and pick her up.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
There are a few regulars in Starkville.

There's a hispanic looking woman w/ a dog and kid(s) that I see regularly at the Neighborhood WalMart Grocery. If you look somewhere close to her you will see her husband or significant other sitting in a mini van playing on the phone while he whores the family out to us locals.

There's a really disturbed looking black fellow I see too all over town. He constantly tallk's to himself, sometimes hollering. He will take cigarettes before money. He likes Neighborhood WalMart and anywhere along highway 12. His mother told a friend of mine that he has a room at her house but seldom stays there, prefers to be out on the streets. She lost count of how many jobs he has had and lost. This guy really needs mental health......

There's another black fellow that is super nice but is a lying sack of monkey dung. He goes door to door in neighborhoods telling everyone his vehicle is broken down and his family is in a hotel and they need money to fix the van and get out of the hotel. He has been using the same damn story for over a year now and has hit up 2 of my co-workers at home so far. He has been "detained" by the police but keeps right on going.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
If it's left open long enough I bet one of the local geniuses will solve a millennium-long problem with a just brief sentence or two.
All you have to do is pray to the sky wizard and that fixes everything, right?

Reactions: ChE1997
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login