OT: Planning trip to British Isles

MaroonRacoon

Jan 3, 2020
Off-topic, but planning a trip to Ireland, Scotland, London and including a couple of days in France (wife wants to do Disneyland Paris and I'm wanting to do a day in Normandy). Anyone who has been and has suggestions on things we cannot miss? Obviously won't be able to see it all, but wanting to hit the high points.

Currently, the plan is a couple of days in Dublin, a couple of days in Edinburgh, a couple of days in London, then two in Paris/Normandy.

I'm a history nut who also enjoys the adult beverage, if that helps. Also a big fan of trying the local food and hope to stay away from the more "touristy" food locales.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Off-topic, but planning a trip to Ireland, Scotland, London and including a couple of days in France (wife wants to do Disneyland Paris and I'm wanting to do a day in Normandy). Anyone who has been and has suggestions on things we cannot miss? Obviously won't be able to see it all, but wanting to hit the high points.

Currently, the plan is a couple of days in Dublin, a couple of days in Edinburgh, a couple of days in London, then two in Paris/Normandy.

I'm a history nut who also enjoys the adult beverage, if that helps. Also a big fan of trying the local food and hope to stay away from the more "touristy" food locales.
I'm adventurous w/ food (as illustrated in the southern food thread a week or so ago) but my opinion of Irish food, skip it. Worst food I've had of anywhere I've been. Stick to their beer and eat at American fast food places

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'm adventurous w/ food (as illustrated in the southern food thread a week or so ago) but my opinion of Irish food, skip it. Worst food I've had of anywhere I've been. Stick to their beer and eat at American fast food places
Many of our ancestors hauled *** from there the first chance they had.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Dublin: Trinity College to see the Library and the Book of Kells. I like Gothic and Norman cathedrals. There are two there, Christ Church and St. Patrick's.

London: the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. Just walking around central London is a lot of fun. I'd also recommend getting out of London for a day if you have the time. Salisbury, Avebury, and Stonehenge is doable with a car or a canned tour. That's a great side trip. You could also take the train out to Cambridge. That's a great town to visit. The ancient colleges are awesome.

Edinburgh: The Royal Mile and Castle. The Scottish National Museum is pretty cool.

All of the above are obviously quite touristy, but there is a reason people go there. Those places really are must sees. If you only have a couple of days you have to hit the high spots really. As for the drink, and the food, look for a good pub in any of those. Try to find one the locals use. In the big cities a lot of them are basically tourist traps.
Normandy: I assume you are most interested in the American stuff. You won't have time to do it all anyway. THE must go place is the American Cemetery above Omaha Beach. That place WILL bring tears to your eyes. Also don't miss Pontie-du-Hoc (spelling?). That's where the Rangers claimed the cliffs. Brecourt Manor is still private property but you can see the Easy Company Memorial on the road by it. The Omaha Beach Exit where the real unit Tom Hanks' character was in landed is stunning. The German bunkers are still there. I'd recommend a good guide or coach tour there. Some of that stuff isn't easy to find. We hired a private guide for the day. We saw all of that plus Utah Beach,St. Mer Egliese, La Fieir, a German cemetery, and a lot more all in one long day. We could have never done it on our own.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Whatever you do don't do that. There is great food there if you look. What's the point of traveling if you only eat American food?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’d make it a two-week trip because you’re going to need more time to explore several places.

You need more time in France.

My British Studies class spent four days in Normandy.

You don’t have to spend that much time. But I know that one day likely isn’t going to be enough for you.

I’d also add a day or two in England, Scotland, & Ireland.

There are tour companies that specialize in day tours.

Spend an extra day or two in Ireland and go to the Cliffs of Moher and Belfast — just to give a couple examples.

The UK doesn’t have as extensive day tours as Ireland but it’d be good to get out of the cities.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Whatever you do don't do that. There is great food there if you look. What's the point of traveling if you only eat American food?

Ireland is known for its carveries.

And they can be good.

But if you have a chance to go to the Atlantic side of the island, try out the seafood.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Dublin: Trinity College to see the Library and the Book of Kells. I like Gothic and Norman cathedrals. There are two there, Christ Church and St. Patrick's.

London: the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. Just walking around central London is a lot of fun. I'd also recommend getting out of London for a day if you have the time. Salisbury, Avebury, and Stonehenge is doable with a car or a canned tour. That's a great side trip. You could also take the train out to Cambridge. That's a great town to visit. The ancient colleges are awesome.

Edinburgh: The Royal Mile and Castle. The Scottish National Museum is pretty cool.

All of the above are obviously quite touristy, but there is a reason people go there. Those places really are must sees. If you only have a couple of days you have to hit the high spots really. As for the drink, and the food, look for a good pub in any of those. Try to find one the locals use. In the big cities a lot of them are basically tourist traps.
Normandy: I assume you are most interested in the American stuff. You won't have time to do it all anyway. THE must go place is the American Cemetery above Omaha Beach. That place WILL bring tears to your eyes. Also don't miss Pontie-du-Hoc (spelling?). That's where the Rangers claimed the cliffs. Brecourt Manor is still private property but you can see the Easy Company Memorial on the road by it. The Omaha Beach Exit where the real unit Tom Hanks' character was in landed is stunning. The German bunkers are still there. I'd recommend a good guide or coach tour there. Some of that stuff isn't easy to find. We hired a private guide for the day. We saw all of that plus Utah Beach,St. Mer Egliese, La Fieir, a German cemetery, and a lot more all in one long day. We could have never done it on our own.
All great recommendations.

The only thing you’ve mentioned that I’ve not toured is Stonehenge.

I mentioned day tours in an earlier post…

But look at day tours for anyplace you go. If you can carve extra days, that’d be good.

If you CAN’T carve extra days, you need to go the day tour / guided tour route if only because it means less headaches for you and your wife.

Polygonal

Sep 29, 2014

We did Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Scotland last September.

- Dublin - a large city like any other large city. Need to get out of the city for good stuff. Hill of Tara is cool if you like medieval/prehistoric history. South of Dublin, there is a wooded area with 1,000-year-old stone towers that are still standing. That whole area is nice to visit with hills and valleys that are beautiful. We spent 4 nights in Dublin and could have made it 2 or 3 and still done what needed to be done.

- Edinburgh - my favorite city to visit on our trip. I will go back and make Edinburgh a focus of the next trip. LOTS of history in the city and area. Stirling is close and worth a look. St. Andrews, the home of golf, is amazing. Edinburgh castle is good.

- London - Wow. Too much to list. We spent 7 nights in London in 2015 and could have spent more. Churchill’s Bunker, Stonehenge (takes up a full day, but worth it), Tower of London, Harry Potter studios is a train ride away, museums of your picking, Westminster Abbey. With only 2 days, plan one day for the area around Westminster Abbey/Churchill’s Bunker/Trafalgar Square/Big Ben. Second day, I would do the area around Tower of London.

Get Rick Steve’s travel book for the area and follow everything he says for those things you decide to do. Especially for getting tickets for things in London.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Shepherd's pie?
Everything we tried just seemed like bland, tasteless, peasant food from the potato famine era. No spices, just dry flavorless meat and veggies hard to identify w/out asking because they had been stewed so long. Irish soda bread served w/ every meal and it was always hard and dry

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Everything we tried just seemed like bland, tasteless, peasant food from the potato famine era. No spices, just dry flavorless meat and veggies hard to identify w/out asking because they had been stewed so long. Irish soda bread served w/ every meal and it was always hard and dry
never been. Maybe these "authentic" Irish Pubs around here are a farce! I love me some shepherd's pie!

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

I would also add. Dublin: Kilmainham Gaol is very fascinating. If you get a chance Cliffs of Moher are fantastic and day trips are available from Dublin. London: The British Museum is a must see. If you go in August you can tour Buckingham Palace.

Cowbelle91

Jul 6, 2023

We went on an 18 day trip in May. 4 days in London, 2 days in Edinburgh, 4 days on Highlands Tour, 3 days back in Edinburgh and 4 days in Dublin. DUBLIN: My least favorite but glad we went. Day trip via Dublin Bay cruises to Howth to walk the cliffs and train back was a highlight. Since you mentioned adult beverages, my husband's main request was a Guinness Brewery tour. It was his Disney Land! And kind of interesting to me too. Also enjoyed the Kilmainham Gaol tour. Had a great guide! Must book in advance. EDINBURGH was my favorite!! Beautiful city! Everything looks like a story book. Take a walk in Dean Village and of course the Royal Mile! There are free walking tours (gratuities accepted) that meet at various places. Again, we had a great guide!! HIGHLANDS tour was a small group tour with Rabbie's from Edinburgh to Fort William and the Isle of Skye. Highlands are breathtaking! Our second trip to LONDON but had 4 other family members who had never been. Westminster Abbey and Tower of London are must sees. Also took a Day trip to the Cotswolds. Beautiful Hobbit-like villages in the rolling hills of the English countryside. BEST TIP For all the cities, absolutely take advantage of the amazing bus/underground. London/Edinburgh are contactless pay while Dublin required us to buy a pass that was contactless. We were experts at reading bus schedules. You really can't get lost....there's always something new to see! Enjoy!

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
You really need more time for all those stops. But it is what it is…
Dublin: trinity college/library/Book of Kales
Tour the Guiness brewery at St James Gate
Brazen Head Pub
West coast Ireland: Cliffs of Moher
Edinburg: Royal Mile, Sterling castle, We had an
Incredible blue badge tour guide while in Edinburgh that was well worth the money. He knew his history. I can give you contact info if interested
If you had more time, I would highly recommend driving to the Highland…Glencoe and Isle of Skye is close to heaven

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

If I offered to take my wife to Paris and Normandy and she countered with a day at Disneyworld it would probably lead to divorce.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
As far as food and drink go, aside from the traditional "full English breakfast" and Scotch whiskey, there is nothing from those islands that I have ever found very appetizing. Maybe that's why they colonized half the planet - their food sucked and they knew it, so they went looking for something to appropriate.

I thought I was pretty cool drinking Killian's Irish Red when I was in college, but I don't believe that is even made in Ireland.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
all UK food sucks. 1 day in london then rent car and hit your fav countryside towns - salisbury, bath, etc. most english countryside towns are a main cathedral then a walking street of shops restaurants. look at oxford, warwick, stratford, etc.

only need 1 day for normandy and couple that with mt st michel - rent a car and stay on honfleur. use rented car and tour champagne region with remainder of time

two days in paris for museums - skip disney - it’s worse than Anaheim.

houstonutsack

Sep 23, 2012

In Normandy do the museum at Deadman’s Curve and the Polish Museum at Falaise. In the big German War Cemetery at Normandy look for Michael Wittman’s grave. He was the Panzer Ace who destroyed a British Armored Battalion at Viliers Bocage. Point du Houc is windy and cold so dress for that. There is 1 of the 2 tiger tanks on display in France near Villiers Bocage on the roadside.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

One day in either Normandy or Paris will do neither of them justice. I spent one day in Normandy in 2022 and only got started. I strongly recommend starting at Utah beach in the American sector and then work east towards Omaha beach; don't miss the American cemetery or Saint-Mere-Eglise!! Same thing in Paris; I'd recommend Montmartre, an open-air bus tour, or a private classic/vintage car tour.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
One day in either Normandy or Paris will do neither of them justice. I spent one day in Normandy in 2022 and only got started. I strongly recommend starting at Utah beach in the American sector and then work east towards Omaha beach; don't miss the American cemetery or Saint-Mere-Eglise!!

I’ll add the following…

Always start at an end and work to the other end— do not go back and forth.

That British Studies course I mentioned earlier was on the World War II Anglo-American Alliance.

We had a Sandhurst prof lecturing. We began where the invasion started— the Pegasus Bridge site — and we worked westward.

If you only have one day, you may want to start with Utah and Omaha beaches before going to the American Cemetery and St Mere Eglise if the American sites are what you’re wanting to see.

I mentioned spending 4 days then. It could be done in less time.

But one side trip I liked during those days I was there was seeing the Bayeux Tapestry — the account of the Norman Invasion…

And that was so cool.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You really need more time for all those stops. But it is what it is…
Dublin: trinity college/library/Book of Kales
Tour the Guiness brewery at St James Gate
Brazen Head Pub
West coast Ireland: Cliffs of Moher
Edinburg: Royal Mile, Sterling castle, We had an
Incredible blue badge tour guide while in Edinburgh that was well worth the money. He knew his history. I can give you contact info if interested
If you had more time, I would highly recommend driving to the Highland…Glencoe and Isle of Skye is close to heaven
You really do need more time if you can get it. I've been to Edinburgh and London multiple times and still haven't seen everything I'd like to see. One thing to realize that most Americans, me included, don't till they first go there is just how small area wise the UK and Ireland are. Just because something is halfway across the country doesn't mean you can't do a day trip there. Don't be afraid, even with limited time, to get out of the big cities. There are canned tours to nearly everywhere that do day trips all over the place. Private drivers/guides sometimes aren't as expensive as you might think either. We have used London Country tours several times out of London. That is more of a driver type service. They will drive you around and you are on your own at the sites. I gave my recommendations for a day out of London above. Do your homework if you are going to Stonehenge. The logistics of going there isn't nearly as easy as it once was. Honestly Avebury is more fun. It's not as crowded, it has a cool village partially INSIDE the huge henge, and you can walk freely among the stones. You can even touch them. Don't miss Stonehenge if you do go out to Wiltshire though. It is a crowded mess for a reason. For Edinburgh you can do easy day trips to the Highlands or pretty much anywhere else in the country. The standard ones always seem to include Loch Ness. Skip that one. Get to the West Coast. Glenncoe is stunning. Elien Donan Castle and the Isle of Skye are like something out of a movie (which come to think of it, they are). Oban is a great place to eat. The whole of Argyle is just stunning. Stirling and Stirling Castle are really cool as well. If you are a golfer St. Andrews is not far at all from Edinburgh. I had a day each in Dublin and Normandy, What I posted above is what we did.
all UK food sucks. 1 day in london then rent car and hit your fav countryside towns - salisbury, bath, etc. most english countryside towns are a main cathedral then a walking street of shops restaurants. look at oxford, warwick, stratford, etc.

only need 1 day for normandy and couple that with mt st michel - rent a car and stay on honfleur. use rented car and tour champagne region with remainder of time

two days in paris for museums - skip disney - it’s worse than Anaheim.
All UK food does NOT suck. One of the best meals I've ever had in my life was at the Stockbridge Restaurant in the Stockbridge section of Edinburgh. The little town of Oban on the west coast has FANTASTIC seafood. Ee-usk, the Lorne Pub, and the little green seafood shack (think food truck) by the ferry terminal are all really good. As a rule of thumb in the UK, skip the beef. It's not horrible, but it's not what we have here. The exception to that might be Scotland, but the seafood up there is so good why eat beef? One thing I eat there that I never touch here is lamb. It's really good over there. Their pork is top notch. In England you can get fantastic ethnic food. Indian is the most widespread, but there is literally every cuisine you can think of, especially in London or places like Cambridge. Don't believe the old stereotype that the food sucks over there. Some of it does, just like here, a lot of it doesn't. Read the reviews, and ask the people working at your hotel.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Do some touristy stuff and enjoy the food. Eat lots of British food and by that I mean Indian food. Tourists go to touristy places because there really are interesting things to do and see. Rick Steves, btw, goes to some bizarre small towns that are quite boring. If Scooba were in Italy, he'd likely recommend it as a must-see place where you don't find many tourists or touristy things.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Never been to Europe, but Normady sounds like a must see to me. Heard it is very overwhelming emotionally. I am Scottish-American, so I would entertain some time up there, some in London, maybe Ireland, and if you have time, Germany. Agree that 2 weeks at a minimum to hit all the high spots.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login