OT: Pop-up Hunting Blinds

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
What do you recommend for pop-up hunting blinds? I’ve never used them, but I’m looking for a decent one for me and the chillins.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm a big fan of popup blinds. IMO you have 2 options. A high dollar one that you might leave out of a couple weeks and use a lot. Or the el cheapo that you're going to use a few times a year.

As for the high dollar ones, I always had good luck with Double Bull. I think Primos owns them now. They are heavy, durable blinds. Not something you just pop up once and hunt out of. You can let them marinade in an area for a couple weeks if you need to.

As for the el cheapos, just get something from walmark that you understand will be somewhat disposable. You'll get a couple years of good use out of it before the zippers break, it tears, seams break, or the rods crap out.

Also, I do think the Ozonics things in the blind do work on covering human odors. I think they are ******** from a lock on, but do work in a blind.

Lastly, don't open the windows behind you. You will silhouette. Plus it allows for more scent to release. You do have to be scent conscious when hunting from a popup. Open as few windows (as little as you can) as possible.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’ve always hunted with the cheap ones from bass pro. They don’t last more than a year. But I really only use them when I’m hunting with one of my kids. They are perfect for that though. Don’t have to climb and helps block them wiggling around.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The Rhino blinds are really cool. You can see through the walls from the inside but from the outside it’s all cammo. They sell them at Bass Pro and Cabelas.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
how old are the chillin's and how many? If only one or two and they are not carrying a weapon, I'd go cheap as possible. I've bought several cheap ones ($50sih two or three years ago) from 601 Sports and V'burg, leave them out from Oct to Feb and they are still going strong. Go cheap until you figure out what you want and how your kids are going to take to it. If they get to where they want to go a lot and are excited about, then spend the money. I'd keep a watch on FB marketplace.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
how old are the chillin's and how many? If only one or two and they are not carrying a weapon, I'd go cheap as possible. I've bought several cheap ones ($50sih two or three years ago) from 601 Sports and V'burg, leave them out from Oct to Feb and they are still going strong. Go cheap until you figure out what you want and how your kids are going to take to it. If they get to where they want to go a lot and are excited about, then spend the money. I'd keep a watch on FB marketplace.

9 yo girl and 5 yo boy. Appreciate the suggestion.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
The rhino blinds are great. I have several, the oldest is 6 years old and still looks good. You can bow shoot through the mesh, which is replaceable. Once you put it up or take it down a couple of times, you can do it in about 30 seconds.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I’ve used them for around 10 years. Multiple brands. They are all about the same. If you leave them up all year, they will dry rot. If you take them down after the season they will give you multiple years of use. They are great for introducing kids to hunting.

katfsh

May 15, 2014
I like the rhino blinds 180 degree see through. Rhino also makes a small 3 legged seat I like. The swivel type seem to always make noise at the wrong times. We carry the rhino blinds in Cleveland at Delta Outdoors. If you can’t find one let me know I have one up there set back for me that I probably won’t need this year, that you can get for the kids.

Sep 15, 2009
The Rhino blinds are really cool. You can see through the walls from the inside but from the outside it’s all cammo. They sell them at Bass Pro and Cabelas.
I actually hate the feature of being able to see through the walls. I feel more comfortable and hidden being in a dark blind while hunting.
As far as the original poster goes, I recommend a more expensive blind that is durable so that you can put it up early and let deer get used to it. You can't just show up to a place and pop up a blind and think the deer won't notice(no matter how much you brush it in, they know). I learned that lesson early on. I had one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen come to the edge of a clearing and look right at the blind, turn his nose up sniffing and then bolted, blowing all the way. I know if I decided to climb a tree that day I would have killed that deer. Ever since then I scout early and pick out a good spot. I make sure it's secured with anchors and I brush the blind in to make it look as natural as possible, because let's be honest, even though the blinds are camo, they still don't blend in that well. I leave and won't be back until hunting season starts. This might be as early as late July/early August. This has just been my experience and what worked for me. It may be different for other people

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Back about 20 years ago I bought a cheap Ameristep doghouse blind to take my daughter in. It lasted about 10 years but it never stayed out more than a week at a time. About 7 years ago I picked up a Barronett hub blind that I've really been impressed with. I don't use it much anymore but it still looks and functions perfectly. As before it rarely stayed out more than a week at a time.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
A few weeks ago I was bush hogging the back forty and there was a pop up blind blown up against the fence. I assumed that it belonged to one of the neighbors so I texted both adjoining land owners. Neither claimed it. I figured a storm and high wind must have deposited it there. I guess it’s still there because I was going to let the owner go get it and honestly haven’t thought about it until this thread showed up.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
There is alot of great information here. I am at the point where I will be buying multiple blinds this year to replace old ones. You don't have to buy expensive blinds. A $100 blind will work just fine. The key is to put it out early and let the deer get used to it or brush it in very very well. I have seen both scenarios work well. I have seen my kids kill a lot of deer out of ground blinds with several of them being mature bucks. We have had deer walk within feet of us while in the blind and I can say that is awesome and a much different experience than being in the stand. If you leave it out for the season go on and throw a couple seats in it so you can sneak in and be ready asap. Like previously mention you do have to pay careful attention to the wind in a ground blind, and I also open the windows I need when I set up the blind. Believe it or not deer do freak out if a new window is open they aren't used to.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm with you. Especially if you are hunting in the SE where every deer is allergic to daylight hours and a green field.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
when using one, where a black mask and shirt and sit as far back as you can even when using the mesh. Don't shoot a gun through the mesh, The blast can move the blind enough that the back will hit you. Also it can catch on fire.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
There is alot of great information here. I am at the point where I will be buying multiple blinds this year to replace old ones. You don't have to buy expensive blinds. A $100 blind will work just fine. The key is to put it out early and let the deer get used to it or brush it in very very well. I have seen both scenarios work well. I have seen my kids kill a lot of deer out of ground blinds with several of them being mature bucks. We have had deer walk within feet of us while in the blind and I can say that is awesome and a much different experience than being in the stand. If you leave it out for the season go on and throw a couple seats in it so you can sneak in and be ready asap. Like previously mention you do have to pay careful attention to the wind in a ground blind, and I also open the windows I need when I set up the blind. Believe it or not deer do freak out if a new window is open they aren't used to.

A lot of good advice here, I do all of this. If at all possible leave the blind in the same spot all season with the windows down. Some folks will put a stick hanging out of a window to simulate the look of a rifle and leave a worn tee shirt in the blind so the deer will get used to your scent. Also put a lot of thought into where you place the blind, hopefully you can find a place where you don't have to walk through an area where deer travel to get to the stand. I put mine in the woodline to help with concealment.

Tomdh3

Jun 17, 2014
I use only Double Bulls and have had them for 5+ years. I put them out at the beginning of the season and dont take down until February. Make sure to stake them down good; I bought better stakes. My kids have shot deer and turkeys out of them and none have an issue. They are worth the price. I bought several of mine used, and still no problems. I have tried other brands, but nothing I have found is as good as the Double Bull.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
More unsolicited advice for hunting with kids. Don't make it about the hunt, make it about fun and spending time together. Have them bring books, games, electronics, etc. Don't go too crazy on them being super quiet. Make it comfortable with pillows, blankets, etc. Get a treat either on the way to or way home or both. Kids differ widely on the age they are able to deal with seeing/smelling blood and guts and hearing a deer in its dying wales. Ear pro for the kids (for when you shoot) is also very important.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
^^^best hunting advice in this thread. make it all about them and not the hunt.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
^^^best hunting advice in this thread. make it all about them and not the hunt.

This, plus follow the valuable advice I got from a friend when my boys were small. Keep the hunts short and don’t take them when the weather is bad or too cold. Make sure that they have fun and if they get tired or bored get up immediately and go home even if it’s 30 minutes before dark and a perfect afternoon. Follow this plan and you will likely have a hunting and fishing companion for life. My friends hunting area was some distance from home so when he went he stayed all day. His son burned out pretty quick and never developed a love for the outdoors. It just wasn’t fun for an 8 year old to stay all day. He got bored and tired. We just did afternoon hunts when the boys were young and kept them to about 2 hours. Sacrifice your serious hunting for just a few years and it will most likely yield a lifetime of rewards.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This, plus follow the valuable advice I got from a friend when my boys were small. Keep the hunts short and don’t take them when the weather is bad or too cold. Make sure that they have fun and if they get tired or bored get up immediately and go home even if it’s 30 minutes before dark and a perfect afternoon. Follow this plan and you will likely have a hunting and fishing companion for life. My friends hunting area was some distance from home so when he went he stayed all day. His son burned out pretty quick and never developed a love for the outdoors. It just wasn’t fun for an 8 year old to stay all day. He got bored and tired. We just did afternoon hunts when the boys were young and kept them to about 2 hours. Sacrifice your serious hunting for just a few years and it will most likely yield a lifetime of rewards.

haha, I don't get to the stand until 30 minutes before dark!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login