OT: Quality of Workforce

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Many southerners take pride in being hard workers. However, it has become apparent to me that, at least in my industry, the midwestern and northern workforce is much better overall. They take more pride in showing up to work and doing their job well. It pains me to say it I keep trying to convince myself it's not true but it is what it is.
Just fyi - this a manual labor focused industry. What has happened to us?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Sleepy Dog Viralhog GIF - Sleepy Dog Viralhog Lazy GIFs
Lazy GIF - Lazy GIFs
Jtd Id It B Loaf X GIF - Jtd Id It B Loaf X How Justin Timberlake Ruined My Life GIFs

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Many southerners take pride in being hard workers. However, it has become apparent to me that, at least in my industry, the midwestern and northern workforce is much better overall. They take more pride in showing up to work and doing their job well. It pains me to say it I keep trying to convince myself it's not true but it is what it is.
1689710879673.gif

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't know what southerners you've been around over the years but in my manual labor days I dealt with more slackers than not and it wasn't even close. And I was as likely to be one of those slackers as not in most of those situations.
Yeah. I wonder if the OP has ever taken part in the aforementioned "labor". Real work day in day out like that isn't easy. A lot of people work a summer job in manual labor. But to have to do that sh*t as an adult, over and over, raise a family, etc.? That's a tough life that many of folks like the kind that grace this message board, know nothing about.

Real Talk

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yeah. I wonder if the OP has ever taken part in the aforementioned "labor". Real work day in day out like that isn't easy. A lot of people work a summer job in manual labor. But to have to do that sh*t as an adult, over and over, raise a family, etc.? That's a tough life that many of folks like the kind that grace this message board, know nothing about.

Real Talk
While I'd agree that there's a better than good chance that what you said is true, I'd also bet that a significant portion of the folks that grace this board knew a whole lot about day to day manual work at one point in their lives, decided that it wasn't what they wanted to do as an adult, and then worked their tails off to get to where they are today

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
July 18, 2023.

The First Mississippi has a Brawn Drain Post on SPS.

Big reason is because the Republicans saw fit to kick out all the Hispanic immigrants who had been here for 20 years

Come at me bro

Cue the Brandon Presley campaign ad pointing out that since the Republicans have been in the Governor's Mansion, Mississippi Has Become More Wussier. **

• Haha
Reactions: peewee.sixpack
Aug 23, 2012
While I'd agree that there's a better than good chance that what you said is true, I'd also bet that a significant portion of the folks that grace this board knew a whole lot about day to day manual work at one point in their lives, decided that it wasn't what they wanted to do as an adult, and then worked their tails off to get to where they are today
Count me in this group. Worked couple of summers in the heat, dirt grease and oil and knew it was not for me.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Agree with goat that manual labor is hard. And factory working generally does not pay all that great in MS. I also think there is an attitude around the south of having enough money to make it through the weekend. I’ve banked more than a couple companies that have to hand their workers a paper check on Friday afternoon because if they wake up on Friday morning with a paycheck that been direct deposited, they won’t show up to work.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The company I work for is based in Minnesota. There is a general “I don’t give a ****” attitude that has become prevalent the last year or so.

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
This is very true from what I’ve experienced over the years. It has to do with legacy midwestern folks whose family has punched a clock for generations. Automotive guys that moved south from Detroit are absolutely shocked when they get here and see the state of available labor.

Labor is much, much cheaper down here than up north obviously but they can work circles (in a factory) around ethnic (lol) southerners. All that said, the union cult mentality in the Midwest isn’t worth the work you get out of them at the end of the day. Best to invest in the south and deal with the constant headaches of staffing and unreliability of your labor force over having your margins crushed by bargained Yankees.

Reactions: bolddogge

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
I’ve actually thought a lot about this over the years about what makes us southerners different and one generalization I’ve picked up on (large manufacturing companies, union and non union) is that southerners are generally much less confrontational than northerners. If a southern manager (generally) writes up an hourly guy, more often than not they will completely lay down and it breaks their heart. I’ve seen guys up north be nose to nose in each others face and you leave the plant that afternoon and they would both be sitting on a bar stool at the elks lodge or whatever Yankee watering hole they would frequent.

Ddog

May 24, 2023
I was raised by a Navy Plane Captain. I learned how to work and was expected to work. I learned to fix practically anything that was broken and also learned to respect others. The hard work part taught me to stay in school and find a future that might require a little less of the manual stuff! I did just that and am thankful to Dad for showing me three way!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don't know what southerners you've been around over the years but in my manual labor days I dealt with more slackers than not and it wasn't even close. And I was as likely to be one of those slackers as not in most of those situations.
Lazy mother 17ers and hard working people from all over. Not specific to an area.

Worked several union jobs in Minnesota and California and a ton of non union.
More productivity out of the non union but slackers and $h1theads on all jobs.

Problem is some people think to “work hard” you gotta come in a kill yourself everyday.

You don’t. Just be steady and consistent.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Are those jobs indoors with electricity? If not, I'm gonna be slacking. Latinos are putting in some hours in this southern heat. What are the jobs with most slackers paying per hour and what are the benefits?

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The South is interesting and awesome and full of cool and crazy people. This is from when The Onion was funny. It sort of says something about the Southern work ethic and working towards a goal.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Do the slackers include southern women? I don't see many female roofers or construction workers.

Anon1678592419

Mar 11, 2023
I’m convinced that it’s a policy of Popeyes to have terrible customer service. Never been to one that didn’t suck from that standpoint. Good chicken though. Sometimes it’s worth it
I had this exact same thought as I was stuck in their drive thru last week for 25 minutes. They know they have a good product, most of the time at least, and just assume people will keep putting up with it and coming back.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
I think this is one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen. From what I have seen (steel industry) the guys who come from up north don’t work any harder. I don’t think they slack anymore than normal either. It’s all about how you are raised. Some folks were raised to work. A lot of folks were not. Geographical area has nothing to do with it. It was the same way when I was in the Army. Doesn’t matter where you are from. If your parents raised you to be a go-getter, that’s what you’ll be.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think Mississippi’s people are just very bimodal across a lot of aspects. We do have a lot of incredibly hard workers. We also have a lot of “workers” who are living for the weekend and just want to do the bare minimum to get there with enough money to get through it. Everywhere I’ve worked, you hire a good number of entry level workers to find a good one that will work hard for a number of years. The better the job you’re hiring for, the better the ratio is, but I doubt it ever gets to be even 1:1.

I don’t know if we’re really verydifferent from other areas of the country though. Just no real experience to say.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Cue the Brandon Presley campaign ad pointing out that since the Republicans have been in the Governor's Mansion, Mississippi Has Become More Wussier. **
All that said.....we're still better off with a Republican in office, when you add up all the pros and cons.

Reactions: NWADawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
All that said.....we're still better off with a Republican in office, when you add up all the pros and cons.
I know. I know…

But when the Republican is Tate and that the GOP has supermajorities in both the House and Senate (right?), it’s tempting.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020

I know. I know…

But when the Republican is Tate and that the GOP has supermajorities in both the House and Senate (right?), it’s tempting.
I’m not sure the benefit of a Republican like Tate. It may be time for a fiscal and social conservative democrat to emerge, the rarest of politicians with broad across the spectrum appeal.

Last edited:

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Have been unimpressed with the South’s work ethic other than medical residents at UMMC who are masochistic narcissists

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login