OT: Reacher (the series) on Prime

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Just started today watched 2 episodes and I like it. He's like 2.25 movie Reachers.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Need to check that out. I read most of the books and when they made the movie with a midget playing Reacher it just didn’t sit right.

Baddmann

Sep 20, 2015
Need to check that out. I read most of the books and when they made the movie with a midget playing Reacher it just didn’t sit right.

Exactly. Reacher is a big man. Really hard to understand why they chose Cruise.

Last edited:

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Just started today watched 2 episodes and I like it. He's like 2.25 movie Reachers.

Thanks, I will be checking it out.

I didn't find out that Reacher was a big guy in the book until after I had seen Cruise in the part. I loved the movies if I can get drawn into the fantasy and it's at least somewhat believable. I chose to be fooled in other words.

You can pick lots of movies apart or you can watch them for simple enjoyment. I can't get lost in a lot of movies but Cruise's Reacher and Punisher are two that featured smaller lead characters as tough guys that pulled it off. I mean, Humphrey Bogart was only 5' 8" and he played tough guy as well as anyone. But, I will look forward to checking out the TV series.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Exactly. Reacher is a big man. Really hard to understand why those chose Cruise.

Because Cruise is so good at picking movies that he brings a lot of credibility to action movies. He does a great job considering his stature, but the Reacher character in the book us unbelievable enough being a large man. He's basically a demigod as far as how invulnerable he is. It was hard to get past in the movie for me. Was the equivalent of Charlie's angels as far as having to suspend disbelief on the fighting.

dawgdoug1962

Oct 14, 2013
Thanks, I will be checking it out.

I didn't find out that Reacher was a big guy in the book until after I had seen Cruise in the part. I loved the movies if I can get drawn into the fantasy and it's at least somewhat believable. I chose to be fooled in other words.

You can pick lots of movies apart or you can watch them for simple enjoyment. I can't get lost in a lot of movies but Cruise's Reacher and Punisher are two that featured smaller lead characters as tough guys that pulled it off. I mean, Humphrey Bogart was only 5' 8" and he played tough guy as well as anyone. But, I will look forward to checking out the TV series.

The deal with Reacher is not just his size, it is how he uses his size and mental agility in fighting the bad guys. No way in the world should anyone think that Cruise could pull off the things that Reacher does....Cruise is laughable.

Arthur2478

Oct 17, 2010
Jack Reacher is played by "Thad" from Blue Mountain State??!!?!!!
Count me in!

1993DawgAlum

Dec 30, 2018
I just binged the first series of Reacher last night and thought it was excellent. I liked the movies with Cruise as Reacher but this actor in the series really seems to take on the role in a way Cruise never could. It moves at a really good pace, and the setting in a small Georgia town plays well. Lots of references to MS and AL as they move about. You won’t disappointed.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
I couldn't get into the Reacher books. The whole concept of what he was and what he did was too much of a reach.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Dude that plays Reacher is the guy that played Aquaman in Smallville and was on the show Titans before his character was executed by Robin's replacement.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Just watched the first episode. Tom Cruise does not have any business playing thus part!!!! **** I was wrong

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Watched the first episode and not bad. All Reacher would have to do is look at me and I'm peeing all over myself.

NashLA

May 5, 2009
Wanted to like it, couldn't get past the crappy acting and cliched paint-by-numbers plotting,

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
We are 5 episodes in and we like it so far. It is a good series.
A lot of Reacher’s comments remind me of Putty from Seinfeld.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Baddmann;[URL="tel:2017262" said:
2017262[/URL]]Exactly. Reacher is a big man. Really hard to understand why those chose Cruise.
haha..I thought he meant a literal little person.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
My wife and I finished it yesterday. My only real issue, and many other series have done it, is that Hollywood thinks the South is like 100 miles across. Jumping from Altlanta to Memphis is no big deal in TV shows. Also all of the south is the same in that the scene that was in "Memphis", the actor picks up Beignets like it is New Orleans. (I know where to get some in Memphis, but it is not common)

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there's a short tunnel we don't know about.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Watching now. 17ing great. Reminded me of me with his feet hanging over the bed. No I was not that muscular but I was close to his size as a younger man.

Nowhere near as agile either and very few people are at that size. Never knew the reasons why would 17 me up so when I was older.

Last edited:

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Wife and I are 7 episodes in. We are really enjoying it. Of course, we enjoyed Justified and I see some similarities.

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008
The acting is soooo bad

It's really bad. And I am enjoying the show. But I have this thing where I am a sucker for the "badass who is out of the game gets terribly wronged and goes on a full-blown massacre spree" trope. Some shows do it better than others (Equalizer), some are awesome for the sheer over-the-toppedness (John Wick) and others are just kind of fun. Even the bad ones work for me. Even with the full knowledge that it is cliched, dopily plotted, written and acted. It's like bad pizza. I'm still going to eat that ****.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The acting is soooo bad

Only watched one episode so far but the acting is surprisingly good to me.

Guys that can credibly pull off a role like Reacher and also act don't exactly grow on trees. Thad from Blue Mountain State is probably better than average out of the potential actors that could credibly play the role. The other acting was not great, but I think a lot of that is on the writing. The reacher books are not exacctly believable, and the show looks like it's going to stay true to the style of the books, so there are just going to be some cringeworthy lines and there's not much the actors/actresses can do to save those I don't think.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
"Cursing is for the mentally weak"
*cast throws cursing in at weird spots*

I'm about 6 episodes in. Acting is getting worse, and the supporting cast is getting less realistic. Writing seems lazy now. Reacher character keeps straying farther from the character in episode one.

Meh- 6 out of 10 so far.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It's really bad. And I am enjoying the show. But I have this thing where I am a sucker for the "badass who is out of the game gets terribly wronged and goes on a full-blown massacre spree" trope. Some shows do it better than others (Equalizer), some are awesome for the sheer over-the-toppedness (John Wick) and others are just kind of fun. Even the bad ones work for me. Even with the full knowledge that it is cliched, dopily plotted, written and acted. It's like bad pizza. I'm still going to eat that ****.

Oh, I'll watch it. Sometimes I just kinda cringe though.
But in the world of binge watching, you take the good with the bad for the sake of having something to watch.

Slow Natives

Nov 10, 2018
Crow bar to the face and no marks… I finished the season, but it progressively got worse. DO NOT compare this to justified.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login