OT: recommendations for new hvac installation

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Compressor locked up on a 30 year unit. Getting quotes tomorrow. Anyone have a recommendation in central Mississippi.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Been a while since I've needed one, but Air Handlers in Rankin County was great. Kept my old unit running for 4 years pretty cheaply when another company recommended replacement. Then when it did finally die, gave me a fair price on a new American Standard unit (Trane but cheaper) that has been working fine for 15 years.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Been a while since I've needed one, but Air Handlers in Rankin County was great. Kept my old unit running for 4 years pretty cheaply when another company recommended replacement. Then when it did finally die, gave me a fair price on a new American Standard unit (Trane but cheaper) that has been working fine for 15 years.

Those American Standard units are pretty much bulletproof. Parts are interchangeable with Trane but pretty good savings in initial purchase price. I’ve got one that is 18 years old and any time you have one that old you begin to worry. I’ve spent pretty much zero in repairs on mine but I do have the guys who installed it come out in April every year and clean it and check freon, capacitors etc.

Col. Forbin

Oct 2, 2012
Springfield Heating and Air is my go to. I’ve had them out to my old and new house to do work. They do great work and very fair priced.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Look into the SEER 18 systems with the variable speed blower. Higher initial price but much more efficient. Had a Trane installed 3 years ago and have been very happy with it so far. I keep my house temp cooler than I did with the old system and my electric bill is lower.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Compressor locked up on a 30 year unit. Getting quotes tomorrow. Anyone have a recommendation in central Mississippi.

No recommendation, but replaced mine a couple months ago: get ready for some sticker shock.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I have that 20 Seer system. Worked great for 2.5 years but something has stopped my Trane from working for the past two weeks. Guys replaced the evaporator coil then found out that the compressor wasn't working so that got replaced. Still not cooling the house. Never had these problems with Lennox, Bryant or American Standard. I might give Trane a call about this because it's their top-of-the-line system, I didn't get the extended warranty based on Trane's reputuation but labor costs to just keep replacing parts and charging up the system aren't cheap.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My counter to this is more complexity, more likely to break and more expensive to fix. My opinion is go with the highest rated unit that does not have all the variable speed and extra cycle features. They work great as long as they are working and then they don't.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have that 20 Seer system. Worked great for 2.5 years but something has stopped my Trane from working for the past two weeks. Guys replaced the evaporator coil then found out that the compressor wasn't working so that got replaced. Still not cooling the house. Never had these problems with Lennox, Bryant or American Standard. I might give Trane a call about this because it's their top-of-the-line system, I didn't get the extended warranty based on Trane's reputuation but labor costs to just keep replacing parts and charging up the system aren't cheap.

When I was getting a new HVAC, I was told the higher SEER systems have a lower expected life because they get that higher seer rating by making the metal (I guess in the condensing coils?) thinner and they tend to corrode through more quickly. HVAC guy told me with a well insulated house (spray foam attic, modern windows, spray foam, cellulose, or 6" batting), he didn't think the savings with the higher SEER unit would cover the higher initial costs in a reasonable time frame. Haven't double checked that opinion, but I did have trouble with a prior unit that was top of the line when it was installed having the coils shot way before they should have.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
The house I grew up in - we did not have central air. We had window units in 2 of the 4 bedrooms. I'm the youngest of 5 (4 boys and a girl) and I luckily had one of the bedrooms with a window unit. Summer time was the best sleeping time. It was nipply.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I have spray foam, led lights, etc. Never had an electric bill over $200, even during Deep South summers. But, all those savings are getting eaten up with labor costs.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Springfield Heating and Air is my go to. I’ve had them out to my old and new house to do work. They do great work and very fair priced.

They installed my new HAVAC system 4 years ago. I am really happy. They are not out to kill you financially. They do not over price.

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
I used Thompson Air Conditioning & Heating, Terry, MS. 601-878-0910. Bud Thompson family owned and operated. Uses Trane equip. Five star rated and I agree. Good work at a very competitive price. You won't go wrong here.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I went with the mini-split system in the Lake House. The pitch of the roof is just too low to give any room for duct work. It was either cut holes for window units or go with a mini-split.

So far, I am satisfied but ask me again in ten years.

They are quiet and does the job and allows for individual room cooling. Initial install was more than I expected for sure.

MtPigsmore

Jun 29, 2019
I run my own business in the Madison area. If your attic evaporator coil is in good shape (haven't had to add refrigerant) I'd strongly suggest just replacing just the condenser. Any company who tells you it's not compatible is lying or they just take the complete change out only approach. Brands are really near the same quality. Difference is in the person who installs it.

The markup in HVAC is ridiculous.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
My counter to this is more complexity, more likely to break and more expensive to fix. My opinion is go with the highest rated unit that does not have all the variable speed and extra cycle features. They work great as long as they are working and then they don't.

My take is installers are so crappy these days, and take so many shortcuts, that betting on a long service life to reach that efficiency payback point is a very questionable bet.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The house I grew up in - we did not have central air. We had window units in 2 of the 4 bedrooms. I'm the youngest of 5 (4 boys and a girl) and I luckily had one of the bedrooms with a window unit. Summer time was the best sleeping time. It was nipply.

Concur, ain't nuttin' better than sleeping in a room with a loud window shaker. If the room you're trying to cool has a place one, do that over a mini split.

Last edited:

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Maybe consider the company's extended warranty

It might be worth it. Labor today isn't cheap, nor are parts and they aren't easy to get today. The most expensive thing is recharging a system with R-410. That stuff is expensive.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I built a 450 sq ft shop little over a year ago and wanted to heat and cool it and several friends recommended mini splits. I called the a/c guy I use for a quote on one and all he does for new installs is Carrier, he wanted $5,000.00 for the Carrier one for that size! I looked at mini splits on Amazon and found them starting at just over $600 up to about $1500 that will do the sq footage, think I'm going to go that route. Last summer I just bought a $425 free standing plug in a/c unit that vents out one of the windows and it did the job just fine except when it got up to about 95 and it only kept it around 80' but it did get rid of humidity so it wasn't bad in there even then. A real small ceramic heater I already had works fine in there in winter, keeps it about 20' warmer than outside no problem but I'm still going to do the mini split I believe.

Side Note: When the power went off several times last summer I was able to plug that free standing unit into my generator and went about my business in the main parts of the house w/ doors shut.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I have the variable speed Trane and, you're right, when it works it's great. You barely know it's on and the house temp stays steady. It's not cheap to fix so get the extended warranty. It crapped out for two weeks and I was stuck with a $2,000 bill even with parts under warranty. I have a 5-ton unit, only one, for a 3,000 sq. ft house near the coast and my electric bill is generally below $200/month even in the summer and I keep the temp around 73. I do have spray foam, led lights and lots of shaded windows so it's natural light in the day. Less complexity on a system does likely mean fewer breakdowns and cheaper repairs. Don't necessarily look to save money. Find a realiable company that takes care of customers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login